• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Generic Blues

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:14 am Reply with quote
penguin: I'm finding the right time to re-evaluate Honneamise via a cheap "used" copy of the BV release I got off Amazon. But if I like it, I'm probably going to look for those Manga DVDs, too, since they have the commentary track. I don't get why they didn't put out a definitive edition with that on there. Personally, though, I always thought the Jojo OVAs got screwed over by lack of distribution and advertising. So I'd like to see them get a second chance here, especially since the recent prequel makes it easier for newbies to get into it now.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:45 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:

I completely agree with you. Only the people with low self-esteem do that kind of stuff. Why waste time and resource on leechers who doesn't give a damn about fansubbers' work? I think these subbers are just pathetic people who craves attention by being stupid. Also I could totally tell that fansubbers don't love anime and manga at all. If they truly love anime and manga, they wouldn't bend backward to please spoiled, unappreciating leechers.

Please, please, PLEASE, don't turn this into "Why fansubs and subbers are evil" episode 263414. Most, if not all, of subbers do it because they love subbing. I love subbing, even though I'm not that fast. Am I happy when someone says "Hey man, thanks for releasing X"? Yes, I am, but that's not why I do it. I do it because I like to. And those who do it because they like it never ever "bend over backwards" for the leeches. They will just say "Don't like it, don't download it".
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:06 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Answerman wrote:
And dismissing piracy because everybody's made up their mind that "oh well they won't pay for anything at all ever so who cares" is kind of... gross, to me. They won't pay for anything ever, so why give them anything? Why give unapologetic leeches exactly what they want? What benefit is that to anyone?

I completely agree with you. Only the people with low self-esteem do that kind of stuff. Why waste time and resource on leechers who doesn't give a damn about fansubbers' work? I think these subbers are just pathetic people who craves attention by being stupid. Also I could totally tell that fansubbers don't love anime and manga at all. If they truly love anime and manga, they wouldn't bend backward to please spoiled, unappreciating leechers.

excuse me, I will try not to explode on you. first off not all fan sub watchers are lechers. and only groups like crunchy-subs and the like who I would hardly call fan subbers care about leachers most fansubbers dislike lechers FYI. and it is realistic to acknowledge that there is a group of people who will never pay a cent for anime because to them it is a worthless, or a tool for wacking off. and guess what around 40% of downloads of fansubs come from outside the US. where you guessed anime releases are next to null. So why do you deserve access to free anime when they do not?
why do you think funimation, crunchyroll, S23 and viz have all taken leaves out of the fan subbers books of releasing shows as they come out in japan, because that is what the fans want and they can profit of it. also considering that funimation has the most aggressive only video site, I am pretty sure they have proven that free episodes of show online (like fansubs) INCREASE SALES of anime. I know I have bought a lot of anime because I saw it on the funimation site and liked it, so I bought it, and I am so going to buy black buttler, index, and railgun when funi releases them since I loved the fan subs of them showen at my schools anime club.
Next how exactly am I being stupid by working kindaichi shonen no jikembo aka kindaichi case files after tokyopop dropped the manga and anime had not been worked on in almost 3 years. a show that has no chance in all of gods green earth of getting an official release (unless ANN did it) since it almost 200 episodes long, is a mystery series, is popular in japan, and is from toei, and oh ya it's around 15 years old. which makes finding decent raws of the episodes near impossible to find. which is why one of our members bought the $400 incomplete japanese dvd box set of the series and is now looking for the orignal laser disc raws of the show. now the obvious question is why he would possibly spend that much money on 55 episodes out of 200, maybe because HE BEEPING loves the show, and he love anime like the REST of us. I am not going to lie it feels very nice to release an episode of a series first and see the fan responce to it and feel like you are needed. but more then that I have made friends around the world thanks to fan subbing CAN you say that? tell me are you happy just consuming anime and never creating yourself. are you telling me you never had a company stop releasing a series you like and decide that you still wanted to read the rest of the story. if you answered yes to that last question then the only difference between you and the "low self-esteem, pathetic, idiotic fan subber" is that I had the initiative to actually do something about instead of just moan about it on a forum and complain about it and hope someone save the series instead of doing something constructive about it.
if decent fan subbers did not love anime, then we would not spend 25 hours on one episode working on it. so to make it clear to you I think ungrateful no nothing leaches and trolls should go join some other fandom.I am sure no one would miss them, kinda like you. finally if you actually read his full comment he actually did not agree with you. I simply believe that a good portion of the people who abuse my releases would never pay cent for anime in the first place. it's realistic not idotic, trust me I wish they would buy the releases but I am not going to give up my online subbing friends or punish all the people who follow the rules because of some trolls that I am going to send some info to brian about for his flake of the week section along with your info since I consider you my "flake of the week," you might want to bone up on your knowledge a bit since people who work on manga are scantalators not fan subbers, just FYI I am sure all your other ideas are just as well founded on knowledge about fansubs, as you confusing a scantalator and a fan subber. Smile
P.S. I love how many night raid fans are on here Very Happy we should have the next episode out this weekend... I hope... if that philpano encoder doesn't go MIA around the time he needs to work.... like he normally does..... anyone want his job (just kidding)

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:29 am Reply with quote
License-rescuing, eh?

One thing I'd like to see rescued, simply because I haven't seen it and would pay money for it, is Armoured Trooper VOTOMS. Being nearly 30 years old however, my hopes aren't high.

Then again, Bandai saw fit to license the old(ish) Turn A Gundam this year, so who knows?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:32 am Reply with quote
Frazmataz wrote:
License-rescuing, eh?

One thing I'd like to see rescued, simply because I haven't seen it and would pay money for it, is Armoured Trooper VOTOMS. Being nearly 30 years old however, my hopes aren't high.

Then again, Bandai saw fit to license the old(ish) Turn A Gundam this year, so who knows?

I just recently heard about that show. it is possible discoteck, NIS, or S23 might pick it up. I think since subbed only releases are on the rise, and FotFN has been selling well for discotek along with lupin the third (I hope)
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
thank you for your time, and also could you please lay off the subbers a bit please? we do tell people not to abuse our releases and try to comply with companies more than you would think. and the people who abuse our subs would not pay a penny for a dvd anyway 95% of the time, so please stop making me into the demon that is kill the american anime industry when it is people's viewing habits and idiocy that are doing it

This guy sounds like he's in the "only sub what hasn't been licensed" camp, which is certainly good, but I don't think he can really shrug off any blame that easily.

Regardless of your good intentions, you're still creating the means for people to watch anime without ever paying for it. Even if you remove the trackers or whatever for a show that's been licensed, once it's on the internet there's no taking it back. So it's kind of ridiculous to put out a show (entirely or in part) for free and then try to wash your hands of it when people take advantage of the situation.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:23 am Reply with quote
I love the attitude that "it's not my fault if people abuse, or get hurt by what I offer legal, or not." Why offer it then?
Also the convenient ignorance of the fact that if it's licensed in Japan, the country it originates, it's licensed, full stop. Wink
eyeresist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:26 am Reply with quote
I just wanna know why the @#$! Card Battle Breast Fighter hasn't been licensed yet. Mad
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:46 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
I just wanna know why the @#$! Card Battle Breast Fighter hasn't been licensed yet. Mad
It has, it's called "Queen's Blade" Laughing
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And really, whose sexual proclivities do I have to please in order to get a god damned decent DVD or, god forbid, Blu Ray of Castle of Cagliostro?!?

Here here! I agree completely! The version I have is better than... nothing.... but here is hoping for that one on a nice Blu Ray... and speaking of...

Hey B/V... how about Blu-Ray of the Ghibli back catalog, and maybe a release of Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves and maybe throw On Your Mark In there somewhere as a DVD Extra?

penguintruth wrote:
I would certainly appreciate a more available and affordable release of Wings of the Honneamise. It's a really excellent movie and deserves better than it's gotten in North America.

Well, I guess I'll have to hold onto my dub-only VHS copy for a while longer.

Did you miss the DVD release of that one in N America? Sorry. It's not a bad disk, not a great one, but not a bad one. Looking at Amazon, there is a Blu-Ray version too... I wonder how good it is.. I totally missed that release.

On the Season Preview, I am one of the few folks that will read it, it seems, in order to get an idea of what I want to watch. Granted, normally, I like to sample an episode anyway, but sometimes the reviews prompt me to try a show I was not, or skip one I might have sampled otherwise.
I have stopped following ALL shows from this season, by the way.

On the whatever of fansubs.... wow.. you guys write long posts I am too lazy to read. Can you take that arguement somewhere else? Outside? Playground? Please?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:20 am Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
On the whatever of fansubs.... wow.. you guys write long posts I am too lazy to read. Can you take that arguement somewhere else? Outside? Playground? Please?
Not reading the whole thread use to be a banning offence a while back, IIRC. Wink
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In the ANN forums, I snarked that all we needed now was for someone to license-rescue Royal Space Force / The Wings of Honneamise, which was made effectively unavailable when Bandai Visual priced itself out of any legitimate market. Even Right Stuf doesn't have it anymore, after dumping the $80 BD/DVD down to a $40 "bargain bin" item.

Um, doesn’t that mean you can still purchase it at Right Stuf, meaning they do still have it?

Anyway, it felt like a godsend hearing that Right Stuf got Utena and Funimation got Haibane Renmei among other Yoshitoshi Abe titles. Here’s my dream list of license-rescue titles that have yet to be announced, if ever at all:
Alien Nine (the manga more than the anime), Battle Athletes, Devi Lady, Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure, El Hazard OVA, Ghost Talker’s Daydream, Jubei-Chan 2, Neia_7 (another classic Abe series), Paranoia Agent, Princess Nine, Risky Safety, Saikano, and last but not least the Patlabor TV series and the original You’re Under Arrest (from Animeigo), most of them classic series that should not fade into oblivion.

Last edited by pachy_boy on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Steroid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:44 am Reply with quote
Maybe, perhaps, the reason that "lengthy, combative 10-page forum responses where everyone has already dug in their heels about whatever issue they're arguing and refuse to budge, slinging insults and false positives in a grandiose display of cognitive dissonance" result from Answerman articles is that the column, and the staff, talk down to those who lean to the other side instead of trying to find a way everyone can be satisfied. Example:

Quote:
All they're trying to make is a show that panders to the sad, predictable fetishes of the hardcore Japanese Otaku market.

Why are they sad? And why is predictable a bad thing? Because they're sexual? No, you don't mind a good romance. Ah, the answer is revealed in the next line:

Quote:
And those shows sell to that audience, because with something like Night Raid, it's seen as something of a challenge - it looks dark, cryptic, and strange.

Because they're easy. A work is better if it's dull, difficult, and depressing. This is our entertainment time, but there's no reason to avoid working as hard as we do in our work time, because nothing should be easy. That's talking down, and that's what puts me into an entrenched position.

Example 2:

Quote:
I hate karaoke fonts that obscure the opening animation. Really? You're going to take an anime's opening, usually the only part of the show where the animators have a semblance of a budget to display, and you're going to cram it full of obnoxiously dancing text?!?

And I like karaoke. So why not live and let live? DVDs have clean openings as extras; why not say, "And here's an extra where the OP and ED have beautiful pastels scrolling in kanji on the top, kana on the left, romanji on the right and English on the bottom, for those who like that"? Or let the fansubbers do so on Youtube. But no, it's "obnoxious," so liking karaoke isn't a valid opinion. That's talking down, and that's what puts me into an entrenched position.

Example 3:

Quote:
Oh, and while it's great that translators don't think there's a suitable English word for "Nakama" or whatever, that really just means they're a lousy translator.

And if the semantic difference between "nakama" and "group" matters to me, and if I like having another Japanese word in my arsenal to confuse the muggles? But we can't have that, it would be aiding the otaku instead of shaming him. That's talking down, and that's what puts me into an entrenched position.

Example 4:

Quote:
"the people who abuse our subs would not pay a penny for a dvd anyway 95% of the time"

Really? That never strikes you as maybe something that's a problem? Really?

Yes, the fact that I hold an economic opinion on what I will and will not spend my money on is not a problem. Because, and I will say this for what feels like the thousandth time, I am an independent entity, not part of a "market." I'm acting in my own interests, not that of others. But that's not a matter of opinion, it's a "problem." That's talking down, and that's what puts me into an entrenched position.

Example 5, from the Answerfans, but seemingly supported by the column in the lead-in:

Quote:
Let the gathered /b/tards spend the whole three weeks bellowing their idiotic memes and "ironic" racial and homophobic slurs at each other, without the luxury of being able to post any of it on the net, let alone 4chan. Maybe at some point the groupthink will turn in on itself and people will start dredging up the intelligence they've suppressed in order to appear social (and maybe, just maybe, possibly get laid) and start to question just what it is they're so involved with and what they're doing, resulting in the beginnings of an exodus from the mindset that falls for such a thing and a path to becoming thinking, critical and imaginational individuals.

This one is a two-fer. First, maybe the problem isn't that for some 15 years we've had a Net that lets us express our opinions anonymously and without empathy; maybe the problem is that for some 15,000 years before we didn't have a Net and had to express our opinions to the other's face, and in so doing developed tact, empathy, the white lie, and all the other devices that keep language from being a means to describe and interpret the world around us and make it a means to smooth relationships with other people. Is it not at least possible that blunt speech solves as many problems as it creates? But that one is minor. This quote doesn't just imply; it outright calls people unintelligent, non-thinking, uncritical, and bereft of imagination, all because they have a different method of enjoying themselves than the writer does. That is talking down of the highest order, and that is what makes me not merely entrenched, but belligerent.

All that said, to end this on a positive note, I still like this Answerman better than the last guy.
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:47 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Frazmataz wrote:
License-rescuing, eh?

I just recently heard about that show. it is possible discoteck, NIS, or S23 might pick it up. I think since subbed only releases are on the rise, and FotFN has been selling well for discotek along with lupin the third (I hope)

Interesting Smile I've been thinking about getting the old CPM releases, but they are pretty hard to come by here in the UK. I'm all for a new VOTOMS license, especially if they get a Region 2 release too (but given the history of the relatively lacklustre UK anime market, this is probably no more than a pipe dream).

Also, please explain the acronyms NIS and FotFN Laughing
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:05 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Moonsaber wrote:
Not reading the whole thread use to be a banning offence a while back, IIRC. Wink

I stand firm on my right to not read!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7