• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tales from Earthsea Opens in Select U.S. Cities Today

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Copyrighted Name

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I think it says something that X: the Movie is better reviewed than Tales from Earthsea.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/x-the-movie/

In spite of that, I was kinda interested in this, so this is something of a downer for someone not living in those areas. :I
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:59 am Reply with quote
Nice to see this get a US release (I'd heard it'd been kept out of the US due to the Sci-Fi(sorry, SyFy) Channel holding the rights to the book series when they did their Earthsea mini-series. I guess those rights have finally lapsed.

I know this film's gotten a bit of flak, but irregardless I hope to see it on Blu-ray stateside sometime next year. At the very least it should LOOK good.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
GeorgeC wrote:

The last Ghibli film didn't do well in the US (theatrically -- I don't know about video sales) and WAS opened wider than any Ghibli release prior to it in the US.

Uhhh Ponyo made more than ANY Ghibli movie released AND became one of the top anime releases of ALL TIME, in 5th place (with only the first 3 Pokemon movies and the YuGiOh movie beating it). I don't call THAT "didn't do well"...

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=ponyo.htm
15 mil domestic is NOT BAD for an anime movie.

It's very good 5th place overall for anime movies released in the U.S.http://boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=anime.htm
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Copyrighted Name wrote:
I think it says something that X: the Movie is better reviewed than Tales from Earthsea.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/x-the-movie/

The tomatometer is not an infallible system, especially the older a movie gets, as it becomes harder to find reviews. They have an elaborate equation that they use when doing "of all time" lists precisely because of that. If anybody took statistics and knows how to do their formula, feel free and tell me which comes out higher.

Also, X came out, what, more than a decade ago? We've all developed higher standards since then. Wink
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:21 am Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
Earthsea isn't nearly as bad as the anime fans as a whole regard it to be. It has many really well done aspects, not least among them a truly great soundtrack. That said, it is easily the worst Ghibli film. All together it's more than a bit of a mess, and somewhat bland as well as incomprehensible at times. Still, it's much better than the average anime, just not really Ghibli level.

I would say it's not the worst Ghibli film by a long shot. First off, I find their non-Miyazaki films to be typical of the more boring and pretentious Japanese "Art films". Second, many of Hayao's films have messed-up/non-existent plots, some of them to the point where I've had to rate them less than "Good". The Ghibli film before Earthsea, Howl's Moving Castle, had a mess of a plot topped by a really stupid ending, so by comparison I really liked Earthsea's lowkey, straight forward approach. It's not spectacular, but it works. Plus there's the always-reliable Ghibli animation to look at.

I hope someone goes to see this.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I got press passes on Tuesday and saw it for work.

I don't know what people are talking about as far as this movie being a mess... it's far more straight-forward than Miyazaki Sr, yes, but it's also a lot more comprehensible and direct than a good number of Ghibli efforts. I think people expected something a lot more complex or "adult", but I thought it was a blast.

The voice acting, save for one "wicked witch of the west" moment is rad, the visuals are good (not GREAT!), and it zips right along. I haven't read any other critical reviews, but you could do much, much worse.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Heh. Just looked at metacritic... it's breaking a record in the "from zero to IT'S NOT LIKE HIS DAD'S FILMS!"category. Smile
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
GeorgeC wrote:

The last Ghibli film didn't do well in the US (theatrically -- I don't know about video sales) and WAS opened wider than any Ghibli release prior to it in the US.

Uhhh Ponyo made more than ANY Ghibli movie released AND became one of the top anime releases of ALL TIME, in 5th place (with only the first 3 Pokemon movies and the YuGiOh movie beating it). I don't call THAT "didn't do well"...

Most people DON'T CARE about the overseas grosses!

They want to be able to see the film in the US, period.

What it does in Japan is one thing... THEY got to see it over there.

How many people here are going to see in theaters HERE?

You completely missed my F-ing point and went off on a stupid tangent.

This is why people generally don't like talking to otaku.

A huge percentage of you are divorced from reality and common sense!

Ponyo made SHIT as far as Disney is concerned. Under $10 million --- not even $4 million domestic gross --- is basically not worth their time and money. That wouldn't pay for the prints for 500 theaters which is what the film played in.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Ponyo made 15 million at the box office. Not sure what you're smoking there George.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:56 am Reply with quote
Alright, I saw the damn thing, but with no familiarity of the source material. And after seeing it, I don't know why Gedo Senki has gotten so much flack, even though Miyazaki's kid is a bit a of an a-hole. It's a little on the slow side, and rushed during major plot revelations, but, overall, I enjoyed it. It's got great production values, decent stand-alone characters, and no unnecessary filler or gimmicks. The female lead might have a tsundere-esque personality, but at least she looks like a girl, not a moe archetype. Really, if I have to hate on a Ghibli film, it's gotta be Howl, because that was a narrative mess with genuine potential to be a good epic. Gedo Senki, OTOH, is more like the company's Black Cauldron than the DBGT or M.D. Geist it's made out to be.

Plus, when you think about it, it's the anti-Evangelion. The main character does horrible shit, but grows from it and becomes sympathetic to the viewer in the process by helping those closest to him who believe in him, anyway. So I can see why certain viewers hated it, because they don't like that he doesn't pull off some Neo-esque shit and doesn't get to walk away from his problems. But personally, I think Gedo Senki has more resonance now than when it first came out, especially in light of certain psycho otaku incidents.

George: Oh, I misread the box office. $20 k total, not per theater. Still, it had a better PTA than Inception and Scott Pilgrim, which isn't bad, considering the minimal marketing for it, and the likely possibility of it being imported and/or bootlegged. As for Ponyo, it wasn't huge, but it was the highest grossing anime in years, which means that the casual audience for anime and animation in general is expanding. I mean, that's pretty close to Fantastic Mr. Fox's domestic numbers; and I doubt Fox Searchlight was disappointed with that take.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2