• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z Kai Premieres on Toonzai on Saturday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HuskofDaimao

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote
This network/program looks disgusting.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Alright, first post...

It's good to see people excited for Toonzai even thought the lineup so far isn't much to be desired and the CW isn't really the best venue, but it's a start and looks better than things are north-side. 4Kids still has a lot to live up to after replacing Kids WB and Fox Kids; perhaps this can be theit redemption. I guess the question now is "What's next?"

By the way, how's Toonzaki coming along?
naruto646806

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Use to watch DBZ while it was dubbed and didn't mind much nor did it care at all..but now..since i been watching it subbed it sounds so much and better in my opinion. Gonna be weird watching it in dub again, also Toonzai < Toonami.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
The schedule above isn't the full schedule. It's going to change pretty soon, as at the end of the month 4Kids loses the rights to TMNT (to Nickelodeon). Nick plans on making a CG show, ugh.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Another great show about to be ruined by 4kids. Akira Toriyama, you have my deepest sympathizes.

Seriously 4kids, why must you ruin Shonen shows. Wasn't Shaman King and One Piece enough?

Because there is an uncut release of Dragon Ball Z, and "uncut" release of Dragon Ball Kai out there? It's broadcast, there's an uncut release. No need to get angry over edits in this case.
malik_chan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Oh, and I noticed a post on here about Nicktoons not editing Kai. Which is understandable. But actually, there were some edits (less blood, and alcohol being made to look like foamy water) in the Nicktoons airing. They weren't blatant and complaint-worthy, but they were there. No big though Smile

Those could be edits made by Funimation though.

On another note, boo, I was looking forward to the rest of Yugioh DM starting up this month.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:33 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
The schedule above isn't the full schedule. It's going to change pretty soon, as at the end of the month 4Kids loses the rights to TMNT (to Nickelodeon). Nick plans on making a CG show, ugh.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Another great show about to be ruined by 4kids. Akira Toriyama, you have my deepest sympathizes.

Seriously 4kids, why must you ruin Shonen shows. Wasn't Shaman King and One Piece enough?

Because there is an uncut release of Dragon Ball Z, and "uncut" release of Dragon Ball Kai out there? It's broadcast, there's an uncut release. No need to get angry over edits in this case.

There is and today I watched more of the uncut version of Dragon Ball Z. I just don't like how 4kids handles their shows. It's one to censor blood, slightly offensive langauge and maybe even names of towns, but to censor and edit minor details and just for the heck of it is just irrational.

For instance, 4kids removed the image of a rice ball with a cookie. If you can tell how a rice ball can be offensive or morally degrading, I am not only listening, but genuinely confused. But the list doesn't end there, but to list every senseless edit 4kids has done would be a waste of time and become rather tiring after several minutes.

Yes, I do know Funimation does the uncut, unedited disks, I've bought several of them. Which were certainly worth the money and Chirs Sabat is really awesome, but it still doesn't justify what 4kids has done to their shows.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Primus wrote:

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

There is and today I watched more of the uncut version of Dragon Ball Z. I just don't like how 4kids handles their shows. It's one to censor blood, slightly offensive langauge and maybe even names of towns, but to censor and edit minor details and just for the heck of it is just irrational.

For instance, 4kids removed the image of a rice ball with a cookie. If you can tell how a rice ball can be offensive or morally degrading, I am not only listening, but genuinely confused. But the list doesn't end there, but to list every senseless edit 4kids has done would be a waste of time and become rather tiring after several minutes.

Yes, I do know Funimation does the uncut, unedited disks, I've bought several of them. Which were certainly worth the money and Chirs Sabat is really awesome, but it still doesn't justify what 4kids has done to their shows.

Well, then it's very simple then: don't watch it. Nothing to get heated over, edits will almost always be made on tv, and it's for kids anyway I'm sure they'll enjoy just the same as many of us still enjoyed the edited broadcasts of DBZ, sailormoon, and similar clasics. As for the block, I wish them luck with attracting the kiddies on saturday morning. It probably won't be the toonami we remember, but it's hard to catch lightning in a bottle twice ya know. As for me I'll be sleeping in so I'll be missing it. I've already seen episode 1 of kai anyway.
Novium

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:13 am Reply with quote
Hmm... I want to see where this goes: will Dragon Ball Kai be edited for younger audiences that aren't insulting or will it be the same old thing? Granted, the whole Shaman King, One Piece, and the likes are more than enough proof that this show's gonna get thrashed, but even then I'm curious as to what the edits will be.

Something tells me we're going to anticipate the edits more than the show itself just to see what they do to it. And besides, if we watched the same episode before, we might get a kick out of some of the retarded editing choices they might make. The show's uncut on DVD anyways and has less edits on Nickelodeon so there's not reason to beat a limping dog; well it deserves a few kicks Razz
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:21 am Reply with quote
If they want to "rebrand" or "remake" themselves or expand or shift their target audience, then why edit/censor?

And if they don't want to, and want to stick with kids, then why not choose another truly kids anime where they themselves don't have to put as much time and money consuming work into editing it in the first place?

Well, DBZ Kai is targeted at kids and older in Japan, which I suppose you can say translates into targeting at teens+ in the US. And if they really want to appeal to that audience, then they shouldn't edit, otherwise choose another show.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:27 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Primus wrote:

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Since 4Kids edit things and show them for Kids. I think I can understand the rice ball edit. Most American kids wouldn't know what a rice ball is, so, replacing it to a cookie would make the american audience much familiar with what they are seeing. :S
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote
I thought Nicktoons DBZ Kai was edited too!
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:09 am Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
I thought Nicktoons DBZ Kai was edited too!
It is edited. Smile
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:32 am Reply with quote
Just got done watching Dragon Ball Z Kai on Toonzai/CW4Kids (and I recorded it). It's the same as the Nicktoons version! Smile

The only complaint I have is that the surfer dude would come out of no where and yell "TOONZAAAAAAAAIIIIIIII!!!!!!!" during DBZ Kai.... -_- That got annoying. Good thing it didn't happen that much! Smile

Edit - Even IF 4kids still edited some of the things that was edited on the 4kids version, it really doesn't matter. It was still good. I still bet people are going to bitch&complain since that's all they can do. :S

Last edited by Anime Remix on Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
BlueHaro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:32 am Reply with quote
I just hope that 4kids does not pull off another shaman king. I was completely devastated when 4kids edited out half of the last episode (most of the fighting). It was so bad that they had to run the episode twice to fill up the 30 minute time slot for shaman king in the morning >.<;
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:29 am Reply with quote
BlueHaro wrote:
I just hope that 4kids does not pull off another shaman king. I was completely devastated when 4kids edited out half of the last episode (most of the fighting). It was so bad that they had to run the episode twice to fill up the 30 minute time slot for shaman king in the morning >.<;

Funny. Didn't 4 Kids ya know, barely touch Shaman King. Blood and guns actually stayed in the show and outside of name changes and some edits it was pretty faithful to the Japanese version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4