• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Ga-Rei Zero TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Why does it always have to be school girls? Couldn't otaku at least branch out in their fetishes?
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:05 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Why does it always have to be school girls? Couldn't otaku at least branch out in their fetishes?

Fine. How about school girls... with swords! But seriously, Ga-rei Zero is quite good. I mean how rare is that most people think it's better than the manga it's a prequel to? I liked it enough to get the Japanese BD Box.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Fine. How about school girls... with swords! But seriously, Ga-rei Zero is quite good.

Also, with the exception of a scene whose tension was ruined by close-ups of swimsuit-clad schoolgirl butt, there's very little fanservice in Ga-Rei Zero.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Ga-Rei Zero is a fantastic series (I think that I may have even rated it as a masterpiece here at ANN - it certainly deserves it). It's got some serious drama and great action with fantastic character stuff going on. It's definitely one of the better series in recent years. It's great to see that it's coming out. Here's to hoping that they release it on Blu-ray (and at the same time as the DVDs)...

As for the manga, it's a completely different animal. Liking one says nothing about whether you'll like the other. The anime is very serious and drama-centric; the manga can certainly be serious, but it's much more light-hearted and silly. After watching the anime, I was seriously disappointed by the manga. I'd be surprised if it ever got brought over here (and didn't it get canceled before it was finished anyway?). The anime is fantastic though. This is a must buy for anyone who likes serious anime.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
After watching the anime, I was seriously disappointed by the manga. I'd be surprised if it ever got brought over here (and didn't it get canceled before it was finished anyway?). The anime is fantastic though. This is a must buy for anyone who likes serious anime.

The manga was localized by the French (I own 2 copies of each of the first few volumes, french and japanese versions), so an American release is not impossible. But no, it wasn't canceled but it did end back in March of this year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not even two years old.

Nice fail post Wink

How is two years old not ancient in anime terms? That's eight seasons ago.

Quote:

Someone just asked about that at AmeCon, and the response from Andrew@Beez was that "he is interested in it and he really likes it, but he is concerned that it would not sell". Obviously, there are many things that wouldn't sell well over here that would scrape by in the US.

That's a perfect example of why Japanese studios need to do more cost-sharing programs. Don't force Funi to shell out a fortune at the beginning and then hope that they make it back, just require a token payment, and then take a cut of the profits it makes. That way, even if it totally bombs, both sides end up with more money than they would have had if they hadn't tried, and if it succeeds, they both make a lot.
kill-chan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
and didn't it get canceled before it was finished anyway?
the Ga-Rei manga in Japan was a good hit (every volume sold something like 40k in the 1st week and 30k in the 2nd).
Also, Kadokawa gave Segawa the chance to start a new series right after the end of Ga-Rei serialization. You don't give so much credit to an author whose series has just been axed.

fireaxe wrote:
The manga was localized by the French (I own 2 copies of each of the first few volumes, french and japanese versions), so an American release is not impossible.

woah! Shocked
same here! (Italy) Cool
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:52 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

It's not at all atypical for a show to not be licensed for two years after its release in Japan. Two years obviously isn't recent to the Japanese or to those who watch all of the fansubs as soon as they're released, but it's definitely not ancient for an American release. There are definitely shows that get licensed sooner than that (and thanks to streams, it's often happening even faster now), but there's plenty of anime that has been released in the US that's had a delay of two or more years before it was licensed.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:21 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

Indeed. 2008. Man discovered fire. I got a new atlatl for my birthday. Ga-rei Zero aired.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote
viral_hun wrote:
Ga-Rei Zero is actually a pretty decent watch, though the first episode is indeed bad.

I don't understand this! The first episode was awesome. The ending of that episode was awesome. Seriously. I can't name a person I had watch episode 1 that wasn't interested after that ending.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Ohoni wrote:

Indeed. 2008. Man discovered fire. I got a new atlatl for my birthday. Ga-rei Zero aired.

Good sir, you win the internets today.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
viral_hun wrote:
Ga-Rei Zero is actually a pretty decent watch, though the first episode is indeed bad.

I don't understand this! The first episode was awesome. The ending of that episode was awesome. Seriously. I can't name a person I had watch episode 1 that wasn't interested after that ending.

I agree. It was just so shocking to spoiler[see them all get killed like that].

[Mod Edit: Please tag spoilers since not everyone will have seen it yet. - Keonyn]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
Xanas wrote:
viral_hun wrote:

I agree. It was just so shocking to words words words

Deliberatly mocking the non-fansub crowd?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Whoa! I know it happens in the first episode, but you should still spoiler tag that since it is kind of important.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

It's a "love it or hate it" opening, considering that it set up a situation that had almost nothing to do with the status quo of the remaining series. Some people really want a first episode that gives them a solid look at where the show is going, so the first ep of GR0 can be pretty annoying from that angle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5