• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Shinkai's 5 Centimeters per Second DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, unless they offer some cool pack-in's I'm gonna pass since I already have the R4 version that has the Bang Zoom dub. It's awesome that the one anime movie I haven't fallen asleep during is getting rereleased. I would double dip for a blu-ray, though, depending on how well it turned out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Very cool. I may have to double-dip - one to get the new dub, and the other to support Crunchyroll and their first jump into the DVD market.

Xizer wrote:
Crunchyfail. How fitting that a backwards company is embracing a dead format.
Not everyone has Blu-Ray, whether it's for expense or not wanting it. I personally don't want Blu-Ray, on top of having no way to actually enjoy it (and very glad for it) so it's cool that they're sticking to the common format.
niclic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote
This is great news for anime fans, especially those who have yet to see the movie. I bought the original ADV DVD on release, so I did not have to pay crazy prices to see this classic. Although I would have.

I will buy again, although I typically only watch the original sub. Only because I want to support Crunchyroll in picking up this movie.

As for blu-ray, people need to get over this whole death-of-DVD thing. Blu-ray is so overrated. DVD is more than adequate for most movies, especially those not originally made in HD. It's the content that matters people! Keep your blu-ray for empty blockbusters with no depth whatsoever.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Just letting you know, the reason that we want a Bluray release is that Japan had a Bluray release of this film. I have to disagree about your statements. Bluray is not overrated, it is the new format to suceed DVD(much like vhs) and that is why many of us are disappointed, we want it on the newer format, not the older one( i don't mind that its only on DVD btw). Sure most older anime titles won't look that much better on Bluray( they'll look about the same upscaled), but for film releases like 5 CM, the picture quality is vastly superior to that of dvds even when upscaled. Have you seen Evangelion 1.11 on Bluray when compared to the DVD? Its vastly superior.
niclic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
Just letting you know, the reason that we want a Bluray release is that Japan had a Bluray release of this film. I have to disagree about your statements. Bluray is not overrated, it is the new format to suceed DVD(much like vhs) and that is why many of us are disappointed, we want it on the newer format, not the older one( i don't mind that its only on DVD btw). Sure most older anime titles won't look that much better on Bluray( they'll look about the same upscaled), but for film releases like 5 CM, the picture quality is vastly superior to that of dvds even when upscaled. Have you seen Evangelion 1.11 on Bluray when compared to the DVD? Its vastly superior.

Fair enough.

I own several blu-ray (BR) discs, including EVA 1.11 (US) and 2.22 (HK). I would snap up 5 CM on BR, even though I am satisfied with the movie on DVD.

There are a lot of comments on this post regarding the lack of a BR release. I think people should be rejoicing at the release of 5 CM at all.

I just wanted to see positive emphasis on this awesome news.

DVD is still an excellent format that is far from dead. BR is unlikely to ever become the format DVD continues to be (judging by sales). It is more likely that physical media will disappear completely before that happens.
scottmn1985

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
saying something like DVD is dead is stupid. I don't have any plans to buy a ps3 or Bluray player, I don't care if bluray is higher quality because I don't have a high def tv at the moment, so DVD is more than enough for me.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote
if the release does well they might release a blu-ray but considering that this is the first dvd they are doing it makes sense that they'd want to play it safe.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:42 pm Reply with quote
great news man first Utena gets liscnsed now this it's all good. Very Happy
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I'm not shocked by the fact that Crunchyroll would release a dvd. To me it seems like something that was inevitable. The shocking thing was that their first dvd is 5cm Per Second, I thought Sentai Film Works or Section 23 Films would pick it up. But I haven no real complaints here, 5cm Per Second is an amazing film and I can't wait until I can have it on my shelf at home.

I hope this means that Crunchyroll plans to begin releasing more titles on dvd. What will be next on the list of long awaited titles to finally hit the US market under the CR banner? Could it be Natsume Yujincho, maybe Chi's Sweet Home, or even Yasuhiro Yoshiura's works? Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Xizer wrote:
Crunchyfail. How fitting that a backwards company is embracing a dead format.

Well dvd's not really a "dead format" seeing as it's still the most common and cheapest hard copy video format on the market. On top of that a weeks worth of dvd sales can gross production companies millions of dollars. Hell Clash of the Titans (god I hate this movie) made 15 million dollars in one week. I mean I even have a blu-ray player now and I still don't buy blu-rays.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Well I am definitely buying this because this is my favorite anime movie, best news ever. I was hoping they would release it with both English dubs though or just the older one because I really liked the one made by ADV. I never heard the newer one by Bang Zoom but I doubt it surpasses it ADV's dub. I guess I should just be happy to be getting it though Smile.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:54 pm Reply with quote
niclic wrote:
This is great news for anime fans, especially those who have yet to see the movie. I bought the original ADV DVD on release, so I did not have to pay crazy prices to see this classic. Although I would have.

I will buy again, although I typically only watch the original sub. Only because I want to support Crunchyroll in picking up this movie.

As for blu-ray, people need to get over this whole death-of-DVD thing. Blu-ray is so overrated. DVD is more than adequate for most movies, especially those not originally made in HD. It's the content that matters people! Keep your blu-ray for empty blockbusters with no depth whatsoever.

I agree, Blu-Rays are much more expensive, and not everyone has a fancy HD TV. I will definitely order this. Thank you Hope for doing that Johnny Bosch interview. I heard about this movie, and I saw a clip of the dub. I will buy this, 'cause I like Johnny Bosch. I just have to conjure up some money, 'cause I'm ordering a bunch from RightStuf, and I"m gonna need more money.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
OH MY GOD NO!!!! Not another one! We are gonna get more low quality/Subtitled-only/Packs of fail! If the industry is failing then why in the hell is everyone trying to get a piece of it? Crunchyroll GO AWAY!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Did you not read Mario? Not that I expected you to, but this release will have the Bang Zoom dub, different than the ADV one.
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
OH MY GOD NO!!!! Not another one! We are gonna get more low quality/Subtitled-only/Packs of fail! If the industry is failing then why in the hell is everyone trying to get a piece of it? Crunchyroll GO AWAY!!

OH MY GOD!! Your post. GO AWAY!! It's a movie so it can't be in a boxset or "pack" as you put it. And more importantly, it's not sub-only derp.

I wonder if this could lead to Time of Eve DVDs?
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

I wonder if this could lead to Time of Eve DVDs?

I would buy that one too, that was a really unique and awesome anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7