• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Shinkai's 5 Centimeters per Second DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsieczka

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
I wonder if this could lead to Time of Eve DVDs?

That would be nice but I would expect them to re release the rest of Makoto Shinkai work first. That said I didn't get a chance to buy 5cm before it went to collectors pricing. A Blu-Ray would have been nice but that is a hefty chunk of change to spend on the pressing of an art film.

Last edited by jsieczka on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZajoII

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I've been prowling eBay for a DVD of this ever since I saw it; it's so amazing that it's being released! Huzzah!

And while Blu-Ray may be the next format, it's not completely common yet. As in I know maybe two people with Blu-Ray players, and I think everyone I know has multiple DVD players. So while Blu-Ray will probably eventually become standard, it's not there yet, so I (and all the other people without Blu-Ray players) am excited for the DVD. Although it would be cool for it to be a Blu-Ray as well.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

I wonder if this could lead to Time of Eve DVDs?

Oh dear god yes, please.

Make it happen, Crunchyroll!
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
Bluray is not overrated, it is the new format to suceed DVD(much like vhs).

Apprently Sony doesn't think so.

Mushi-Man wrote:
I hope this means that Crunchyroll plans to begin releasing more titles on dvd. What will be next on the list of long awaited titles to finally hit the US market under the CR banner? Could it be Natsume Yujincho, maybe Chi's Sweet Home, or even Yasuhiro Yoshiura's works? Lets keep our fingers crossed.

THIS!

It's raises my hopes that School Days will get licensed for DVD one day since Sentai hasn't tried going for it yet so here's hoping this sells well enough that CR looks into other unlicensed anime streaming on their site.
omoikane

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:28 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese Blu-Ray is notably better than any of the DVD releases, so an English-language BD release based on that would be highly desirable. Heck, that BD is cheap too, so if Bandai were to sneak in a Unicorn-type release, that would rock.

Of course because CR is just starting out I suppose that is a lot to ask.
sdhd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Missed out the previously dvd releases. Here is my chance to buy the dvd. Love the movie and the song. Hopefully there is a cd that comes with it. Blu-ray dvd please.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I consider the ADV dub to be one of the jewels of my collection. So I'll pass but hopefully the new dub is just as good.
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote
YES! I finally get to see this without dishing out over one hundred dollars. Crunchyroll, you guys picked a great thing for your first DVD. Man. You dont know how happy I am. I love Shinkai's work. This is just great. (I will still probably pick up the ADV version someday because I am a freak collector like that).

Kinda wish it was getting a larger screening than just SanFran though. I would totally go see this on the big screen.

EDIT: I dont have a Blu-Ray player. But even so not only would I buy the DVD version, I would buy the Blu-Ray version for when someday I eventually do get a Blu-Ray. That being said. I would buy this if it were a Blu-Ray release only aswell, but would be highly upset that I would have to wait even longer to see this movie.

Last edited by Ghstmtrx on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Mega-thanks to Crunchyroll (and Bandai Ent. for their part) for finally rescuing the film! I only got a chance to see 5 Centimeters per Second after ADV lost the license and CR showed for the first Global Shinkai Day, so I've been wishing for someone to re-release it for a really long time. It's coming a lot sooner than I thought given the timing of the announcement, but I'll be gunning for it all the same. Good luck to CR and hope they do a bang-up job on the encoding (the film really needs/deserves it) and are able to get the BZ! dub (and hopefully the ADV one, too?). It's at least great to see CR & co. treat it like a big deal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I was lucky to find a copy of the ADV release at a FYE on a trip to Chicago three years ago - 2-3 months after it went out of print. So I won't be picking this up.

I'm really happy to see it finally come back to North America, though. Those who weren't able to get it can surely do so now.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I own the ADV DVD which I got for $10 at Best Buy so I won't be getting this buuut it's interesting to see Crunchyroll getting into the DVD market. If they start putting out blu-ray, then I'll get a lot more interested.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
Wow this is awesome! I'm so sad that I missed out on ADV's release. Sad But let's hope they'll bring out more titles to DVD that they've subtitled.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:28 am Reply with quote
Already have the Adv version, but I think more people deserve to see this. Here's hoping for a blu ray in the near future Smile.
daedelus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:44 am Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
The shocking thing was that their first dvd is 5cm Per Second, I thought Sentai Film Works or Section 23 Films would pick it up.

If Sentai/S23 had licensed 5cm, we probably would be getting a BD release.

Since this is CR's first foray into hard media, it's already a big enough risk just releasing DVDs. If this sells well (or well enough), maybe we will get a BD release. I'm more interested in the possibility of CR licensing titles that the other US companies don't seem to want.

On another note: I can hear the cries of all the sellers on eBay whose 5cm discs just plummeted in value. Now it's only claim to fame is the ADV dub, which is excellent, but not worth $100.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:53 am Reply with quote
BOOM! Sold my ADV release at exactly the right moment (got a cool 100 buck for it).

hikaru004 wrote:
You'd think that this title would have gotten a blu-ray release.

And this is the new sticking point with me. There is literally no reason to buy such a gorgeous looking film on non-high-def format. Looks like I'm still waiting on buying again.

Good luck with Crunchyroll on getting into physical distribution. Maybe they could look into releasing some of the other shows they stream by aren't liecenced for DVD. Like Space Pirate Captain Harlock (doesn't hold his breath)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7