• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Shinkai's 5 Centimeters per Second DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
Really nice here, hope they include the ADV dub along with the Bang Zoom! one so fans can compare the performances.

I doubt it. They probably would have to pay extra to have both, and they don't want to do that. I'm curious why they chose the Bang Zoom! dub over the ADV one, though.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
Dark Paladin X wrote:
Really nice here, hope they include the ADV dub along with the Bang Zoom! one so fans can compare the performances.

I doubt it. They probably would have to pay extra to have both, and they don't want to do that. I'm curious why they chose the Bang Zoom! dub over the ADV one, though.
Most likely a licensing issue with S23.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
niclic wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
No. Its really not. Its like watching a movie underwater with one eye poked out.

I'm very sorry to hear you did not enjoy watching movies at home before 2007.

Before 2009 I had a standard-def TV. Which, worked. I suppose. But once you get an HD TV (even a 24 inch, 720p job like I own) the imperfections of standard-definition is made just too apparent. I can barely watch SD cable TV anymore because the picture quality is just soooooo bad on an HD screen.

EDIT: To be fair, there are shows/movies that can't be improved via an HD transfer, and their best quality may be through DVD upscaling. But this is a limitation of how they were originally animated (or in the case of some live action shows, how their CGI was done in post-production)

But, its pretty obvious 5CM ain't one of those cases, the movie was practically made to scream its animation at you in high-def clarity.
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:59 pm Reply with quote
HUZZAH! I hope there is a blu-ray release in the future. I can't wait to see this! I was surprised to see it was CR doing the release, but hey I'd rather have this then nothing!
ZenErik

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
A BD would be wonderful, although only getting a DVD release isn't the end of the world. There seem to be a lot of posts in this thread that display a clear lack of knowledge of the differences between the two formats.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:47 am Reply with quote
On that subject, Shiroi Hane brought this to my attention yesterday evening.

Presuming this isn't a mistake by Amazon or an over-ambitious plan on the part of Manga, one would expect a US release to eventually be made as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
On that subject, Shiroi Hane brought this to my attention yesterday evening.

Presuming this isn't a mistake by Amazon or an over-ambitious plan on the part of Manga, one would expect a US release to eventually be made as well.

Couldn't the US viewers who claim that watching a DVD is like having a spike driven into their head just import the Manga BD? Surely if they have such an massive allergic reaction to watching DVD's, they'll have a multi-region BD player? (that is, assuming Manga region codes it ~ at 14 pounds for pre-order, given the Japanese phobia of back-importation, they may well have had to)
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Comments by Rob Pereyda (VP of Licensing at Crunchyroll) on the AoD forums indicate no intentions for a BD release.
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1819446&postcount=50
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
This is something with which I'm not familiar.
Whilst reverse-importation fears presumably hinder many releases outside of Japan, it is rare that the end result of such restrictions is a UK release being prepared in absence of a US counterpart in the same format.

(Being a pessimist, I still have doubts regarding the accuracy of the Amazon listing. I've yet to hear more direct confirmation.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I remember there being delays to the release and I knew it had been discussed on Twitter but it has taken me a while to track it down:

"looks like @MangaUK is doing 5cm dvd release... but have to wait 4 months. on the other hand, happy that Makoto's work is being released. =)"
http://twitter.com/kumako08/status/12715014984

"@kumako08 We're miffed that Blu-ray release has to be held back on Japan's insistance, but no clear release date suggested!"
http://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/12873552309

"@MangaUK 5cm/s is coming out on Blu-ray? That's good news even if there is a delay."
http://twitter.com/shiroihane/status/12896877037

"@shiroihane Good news fo sho but no idea when we'll get the greenlight to release it. Japan is very scared of UK Blu-ray imports."
http://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/12953449884

also

"@MangaUK on their list you'll notice a film called "5CM A Second" Are Manga Entertainment ever gunna release that here on DVD?"
http://twitter.com/EpicYarn/status/12953530573

"@EliteBeatAgent Yes, but it's delayed coz #ComixWave is very busy on #Planzet right now and they are a small studio/licensor."
http://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/12953681913

I've found nothing more recent than April thus far, although I've seen another release date of August 2011 mentioned, so have queried MangaUK directly regarding the status.

--edit--

play.com only have the DVD listed, and have it down for the 16th August next year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
This is something with which I'm not familiar.
Whilst reverse-importation fears presumably hinder many releases outside of Japan, it is rare that the end result of such restrictions is a UK release being prepared in absence of a US counterpart in the same format.

(Being a pessimist, I still have doubts regarding the accuracy of the Amazon listing. I've yet to hear more direct confirmation.)

But isn't the hold up often the production of a dub? In this case, a new dub was done, originally without a US release.

With the US and Japan in the same BD region, and the UK and Australia/NZ in a second BD region, its going to happen sometimes that the Japanese want more for an US BD RegionA license than anyone wants to pay, but are more reasonable for BD RegionB.

Edit: I'll note that if I still lived in Oz, I'd be a lot keener on BD, because of the saner region for English language releases.
crunchycat
I do Marketing for Anime Companies

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I've only watched about 10 mins of it before in my anime clubs preview, and have to say I was pretty interested, seeing this made me even more happy and tossed 5 centimeters per sec on my CR to watch list. Hopefully in the future a Blu-ray might come out but as someone said before nice to at least have this over nothing
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:18 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
The whole BD argument subthread would seem to be a result of the fact that the 5cm/sec release is dubbed, so that normal thing to complain about when there is good news is not available, and something else has to be recruited to take its place.

I'm quite happy that 5cm/sec is getting a new DVD release. I never did get around to buying the ADV disc. I'll probably purchase Crunchyroll's DVD (will subscribers get a discount? ^_^; ). I'd be much happier if the film were getting a BD release though, since I feel that HD products should get a HD release.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
A small update: the UK Blu-ray release is now "unlikely" in virtue of reverse-importation fears. I have a fair degree of confidence that such an edition will not be produced.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7