• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Yes We Kun

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Funny Gia mentioned mentioned a Black Lagoon fighting game. The creator already did character designs for an awesome 2d fighting game called "Big Bang Beat". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4S42RgP4K4
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Gao got a little dogdgey when Zac confronted him about Crunchyroll hosting well known anime after he had just said that people shouldn't host licensed product.

His defense was slightly tenable however, considering they may not have received a desist order from the Japanese or American license holders. I don't recall him mentioning that about Naruto.

I think most people are a guilty in some ways though. I remember watching Naruto during Toonami, but when they took long breaks I would search the internet for new episodes...and we all know I found them alright. I only watch the official subs now though.

I wish he would have just come out and been honest about it though. Crunchyroll is on its way to being a great success story for the anime industry, and I hope there are at least a few more.
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But in many cases, what the fans want is completely unrealistic in terms of how business actually operates

Like, seriously right? Christ these people can be selfish.

-I'm surprised you didn't bring up sub-rippers like HorribleSubs and Commie. (Though, I am aware that Japan very much wants to break their legs Rolling Eyes)

-Zac, did you pronounce "ecchi" as "eh-key?" Laughing

-Somehow, I don't know how, but somehow I knew from Zac's tone of voice that he was going to bring up Charger Girl. I was dying as he was bringing it up.

-Aw, dude...I remember all those classic anime CR used to have. That was the one thing that I wish they still had. I found Lord of Lords Ryu Knight cause of that...
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I believe there is a FMA Brotherhood game coming to North America for PSP. I don't believe it's the RPG though, instead it's some brawler...

From what I understand of the original FMA games (I know nothing about Brotherhood's), the only good game was the fighter, Dream Carnival. The RPGs certainly stunk to high hell.

v1cious wrote:
Funny Gia mentioned mentioned a Black Lagoon fighting game. The creator already did character designs for an awesome 2d fighting game called "Big Bang Beat". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4S42RgP4K4

Did not know that, interesting. Did he do the designs for the doujin game or for the pro game it's based on?
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
giapet wrote:
Primus wrote:
I believe there is a FMA Brotherhood game coming to North America for PSP. I don't believe it's the RPG though, instead it's some brawler...

From what I understand of the original FMA games (I know nothing about Brotherhood's), the only good game was the fighter, Dream Carnival. The RPGs certainly stunk to high hell.

v1cious wrote:

Did not know that, interesting. Did he do the designs for the doujin game or for the pro game it's based on?

The pro game. OOPS edit., i meant the fighting game, not the ero one.

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I believe there is a FMA Brotherhood game coming to North America for PSP. I don't believe it's the RPG though, instead it's some brawler... There are a few Wii FMA: B games, but they sold hysterically bad in Japan.

As for the "raping my childhood" thing, well just have to look at DragonBall. It had what most would call a terrible movie that made nothing, and a year later it's the strongest the franchise has been in years. Totally ruined forever. Wink

That's only available in Europe. Also all games except Nintendo, and Just Dance has sold horribly on the Wii.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Major respect to Zac for taking that guy to task about Crunchyroll's past. So glad you caught him dancing around the question.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Wow. Major respect to Zac for taking that guy to task about Crunchyroll's past. So glad you caught him dancing around the question.

Yeah my sentiments exactly Zac nailed him to wall on that one while remaining respectful and giving him every opportunity to explain himself good job.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The Crunchyroll guy completely ducking its own past of hosting tons of illegal fansubs (user uploaded but administration supported!) was sure funny to listen to.

Thanks for making him a little uneasy Zac, as well as the guy who sent in that question.

Oh, completely ducking is grossly unfair. Ducking and weaving and throwing jabs and counterpunches.

He keeps coming to the point when he says, "what do you want to do, we can turn it off today if you want, we can turn it off tomorrow if you want", because until everything up to that point was illegitimate ... "we were just a bunch of engineers, all our friends were into anime, blame our friends" is every bit as ...

... what is the technical term? ...

... oh, yeah, every bit as lame as all the excuses always offered for bootleg sites.

Of course, leech streaming sites don't have to run up their credit card bills for streaming costs, since they don't stream onsite, they are the users illegally uploading to Megavideo and MySpace and Veoh and etc., to have the host for the content that they point to from their site.

Its probably easier to say "we're willing to walk away from the site" when its a financial drain on its previous business model.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
On the other topics, since Scrapped Princess is a SF series about humanity artificially trapped into an artificial fantasy setting, it really had to look like all the 90's fantasy series.

But I am not so sure that all the fantasy series look like that. One six year old and two very recent fantasy series that come to mind are Wolf's Rain, Tegami Bachi: Letter Bee and Book of Bantorra, where each in their own way have their own distinctive differences to that standard fantasy role play game look.

And its great news that Crunchyroll is carrying the production and licensing financial risk of 5cm ... I hope it works out so they can get Aoi Hana out on disk.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

-Zac, did you pronounce "ecchi" as "eh-key?" Laughing

I did that since I first read the word all the way up until about two years ago (So, a looooong time)

I still slip on occasion (a good 1/4th of the time I verbally use the word) and say "eh-key". Most of the time I just use "pervy", which is an exact translation as far as I understand ("Hentai" = "pervert(ed)", "H"/"Ecchi" is slang for "Hentai". "Perv(y)" is slang for "pervert(ed)" Do I have that right?)
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:57 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
So glad you caught him dancing around the question.
It's not hard to find questions which were danced around in this interview. There were multiple others which were dodged or not even touched on. (Though it was good to hear some of the others being caught by followup questions.) The ones which actually had real answers were interesting while the same-repeated-marketing-speak ones just got boring to listen to. You would be comatose if you took a shot of water every time someone said the word "platform".
immortalrite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:23 am Reply with quote
I was curious when/if 5 Centimeters per Second was ever going to be re-released in North America. Such a visually-immersive movie definitely warrants a blu-ray, which I would gladly purchase, but it sounds very unlikely given the circumstances! Crying or Very sad
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:19 am Reply with quote
I laughed at Zac's comment about the "candy-coloured pauldrons". Anime fantasy in general seems even more cliched than American fantasy, which is quite an achievement (obviously there are exceptions).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
Haruhi in the UK was an error, from comment off the UK DVD rights holder.
Whos clerical error it was we have no idea, but they do happen. See Bandai/ Section 23 mess earlier this year over Sola.

'twas my question.

What Andrew Partridge said was that it "was a human error on geo-filtering" which suggests that the UK was left open in error, however Crunchyroll specifically included the British Isles when the announced the license:
animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2010-04-09/crunchyroll-announces-multi-territory-licensing-agreement-with-kadokawa-pictures-on-the-melancholy-of-haruhi-suzumiya
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-622560/the-melancholy-of-haruhi-suzumiya-launches-updated/

Someone else emailed CR directly and was apparently told it was "never supposed to be available in the UK in the first place so they have corrected the issue"

However Crunchy have never publicly said anything about it as far as I am aware, they haven't even edited their forum post announcing the UK availability, and it would have been nice for them to say something in the first place rather than just yanking it and letting us find out by it suddenly being missing (and before I got around to watching Haruhi-chan). I had been looking forward to watching the 2K9 episodes on there as I still haven't seen them all and Beez have implied they won't be releasing them on DVD here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6