• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Yes We Kun

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
However Crunchy have never publicly said anything about it as far as I am aware, they haven't even edited their forum post announcing the UK availability, and it would have been nice for them to say something in the first place rather than just yanking it and letting us find out by it suddenly being missing (and before I got around to watching Haruhi-chan). I had been looking forward to watching the 2K9 episodes on there as I still haven't seen them all and Beez have implied they won't be releasing them on DVD here.

I hope that any Crunchyroll members who are reading the forum mention this in the Crunchyroll members surveys.

One thing that made a lot that Crunchyroll does make a lot more sense is the fact that it was started by a small group of engineers. The way that Crunchy sometimes seems to be feeling its way in the dark in very basic customer communication things like saying which region the title is in "above the fold", so people who can't get it don't have to click through to the full description to hunt down the region restrictions to find out they can't get it ...

... that makes more sense with a group of engineers in charge.
The Grey Ghost

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
You know how I define "raping my childhood"...? Re-watching the cartoons I watched as a child, now as an adult and realizing that I was stupid child for watching garbage.

Some things should remain seen only through the fogged nostalgic gel of the mind's eye.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
garfield15 wrote:

-Zac, did you pronounce "ecchi" as "eh-key?" Laughing

I did that since I first read the word all the way up until about two years ago (So, a looooong time)

I still slip on occasion (a good 1/4th of the time I verbally use the word) and say "eh-key". Most of the time I just use "pervy", which is an exact translation as far as I understand ("Hentai" = "pervert(ed)", "H"/"Ecchi" is slang for "Hentai". "Perv(y)" is slang for "pervert(ed)" Do I have that right?)

Sort of,
Hentai in Japanese= pevert(ed)
Hentai in English = R18/18+ content
H (ecchi) in Japanese = pervert(ed) or R18/18+
Ecchi in English = softcore/ fanservice

I think H came from English use of hentai, which makes the word origins a little odd
Use the English equivalents always, saves confusion due to not knowing which defintion was used.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
As for new stuff, I'm glad their working on adding karaoke to the opening themes, because that's actually turned a lot of fans away from [them].

While karaoke was mentioned as an example of what some visitors to the CR site would like to see, I got the impression from Gao's response that CR is just focusing on adding song lyrics and/or translations. Karaoke effects apparently constitute artistic changes and require cutting additional red tape (I would guess might present additional technical challenges, as well, unless hardsubbed). Given how indirect Mr. Gao's responses were, it's entirely possible that I misunderstood.

Frankly, unless karaoke effects were an optional feature, I'd actually see them as a reduction in the quality of the CR streams. They're one aspect of fansubs I really wish would go away.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Kareoke=uneeded

Translated lyrics (maybe some romanji above like Code Geass release)=Definitely needed

I know that they need the rights to the music and everything before they can do that so this is more of a complaint to the Japanese companies. Come on guys, it's just some words.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:40 am Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Quote:
But in many cases, what the fans want is completely unrealistic in terms of how business actually operates

Like, seriously right? Christ these people can be selfish.

-I'm surprised you didn't bring up sub-rippers like HorribleSubs and Commie. (Though, I am aware that Japan very much wants to break their legs Rolling Eyes)

-Zac, did you pronounce "ecchi" as "eh-key?" Laughing

-Somehow, I don't know how, but somehow I knew from Zac's tone of voice that he was going to bring up Charger Girl. I was dying as he was bringing it up.

-Aw, dude...I remember all those classic anime CR used to have. That was the one thing that I wish they still had. I found Lord of Lords Ryu Knight cause of that...

I really wish zack or someone would have asked them about fake fan sub groups, Because I HATE!!!!! them and I am a subber who actually follows the rules, also I was wondering about the ehkey thing I am very glad they translating the songs again and are also doing kara now Smile

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Zade

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:45 am Reply with quote
Zac, I once pitched the idea, on the GameFAQs PC board, that there should be a first-person shooter where you could choose your character from any person in politics and everyone hated the idea. Apparently we are alone...

I'd say doing it as a shooter might be easier and funner though, because all you would have to do is add the voices and change the character models into 2d sprites. It just needs to be modded into existence... I was going for more a democrat vs. republican vibe though... I REALLY wanna spend entire matches head-shooting Glen Beck.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:20 am Reply with quote
I have the same issues regarding the precedent that Crunchyroll sets. I did actually boycott them until sometime after they had 'gone legit'.

However, it's easier said than done to copy them. For all the negatives surrounding CR I think they have the best streaming experience I've seen so far*. Actual quality is the hurdle for any wannabee's who think they can go the same route to success.

*Playback: so far so good...loads quickly, plays smoothly...picks up quickly if I time jump.
I'm a sucker for Keyboard short cuts: space bar-pause/play...arrow keys-forward/back volume up/down
Episode Listing/Arrangement/Navigation: I like how they cue up the next episode in the player(so I don't have to leave full screen mode) as my first option. Funimation forces me to re-sort and hunt down each episode(unless it's my browser settings?). CR's will offer up other choices while it waits, but it's easy enough to go back to the next episode. One site would automatically start playing an episode of another show. I don't appreciate that...Especially if they don't normalize the audio for the commercials(of that CR is just as guilty...it's not just louder, somethimes it's alot louder). Continuous play just increases the odds that it you doze off you will be blasted awake by some disproportionately loud commercial. CR also doesn't double dip the commercials. If I miss something and rewind past a commercial I don't want to have to watch it again.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:50 am Reply with quote
The Grey Ghost wrote:
You know how I define "raping my childhood"...? Re-watching the cartoons I watched as a child, now as an adult and realizing that I was stupid child for watching garbage.

Some things should remain seen only through the fogged nostalgic gel of the mind's eye.

I thinking raping ones childhood could also be going back and judging it thru one's current standards. Stuff may not hold up over time, but if it was good enough then, what else could you do but like it?

Re: comparing the old versions of stuff to the remakes and how anyone could like it

That was your then this is their now...and sometimes now is the time for you too.

I liked both of the Transformers movies more than I ever liked the cartoons....Not to say I loved the movies but relatively speaking.

I do think a 3D Smurfs could work. They're similar to Bone in design. When I was still in 3D a co-worker made a model/motion test short of Bone and it was pretty good. However, the problem with 3D is when the visuals are allowed to carry the movie. I think if you take away the monsters from "Where the Wild things are" what's left would be pretty boring. On the flip side they might just put bullet time in it like every other 3D movie that came out following the Matrix(translation-rely on cheap pop-culture references).

Last edited by Cheesecracker on Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:33 am Reply with quote
another question I would have asked is what steps is crunchyroll taking to improve it's typeseting and timing because I have watch episodes of tagami bachi, beast player erin, and reborn where the timing was a second early or the typeseting was. or the typesetting was on top of each other I am sure they are working on it but some QCing or the subtitles would be nice because the subtitles need work, also the encoding could use some help
Shichimi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:16 am Reply with quote
As long as the karaoke functions are something that you can switch on/off, yeah why not? I would actually like to see the lyrics to some OPs EDs.

Zade wrote:
Zac, I once pitched the idea, on the GameFAQs PC board, that there should be a first-person shooter where you could choose your character from any person in politics and everyone hated the idea. Apparently we are alone...

I'd say doing it as a shooter might be easier and funner though, because all you would have to do is add the voices and change the character models into 2d sprites. It just needs to be modded into existence... I was going for more a democrat vs. republican vibe though... I REALLY wanna spend entire matches head-shooting Glen Beck.

[dork]You've totally just given me an idea for a ZDoom mod. Surprised [/dork]
ChibiSess777

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:47 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I am a subber who actually follows the rules

Wait...what? You might want to clarify what rules you're following so I can have some understanding.

I would've asked why in the world they have CR Pulse/Daily Bento. It's not news. It's just crap taken from various blogs and 1/3 of it is just inappropriate in general.

I started getting an idea of the karaoke/song translation thing when I was watching an episode of Shugo Chara (20 years old, but its cuteness got to me for those 100+ episodes). I saw that if a band was exclusive for an anime it seemed more likely to get it translated.

Translated songs I'd like to see, but it's not exactly necessary for me. Bouncing karaoke...no more. I've had enough.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
ChibiSess777 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I am a subber who actually follows the rules

Wait...what? You might want to clarify what rules you're following so I can have some understanding.

Don't work on licensed stuff, do your own work, other common sense stuff.
timeldred

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Enjoyed this interview quite a bit, and kudos to Zac for sticking to his points. If fandom had to have a spokesman, he'd be a finalist. As for Mr. Gao, I have to respect anyone who gets into the anime business knowing how many self-appointed cops are going to train the magnifying glasses on them in hopes of finding every possible hint of scandal. Anyone who can endure that and still wake up every day thinking it's worth it gets a high-5 from me.

I wouldn't characterize Gao's responses as evasive, simply couched. No, he doesn't speak with much candor (certainly not as much as Mark Kirk or Carl Macek), but that's something you have to sacrifice when you take on the role of company spokesman and holder of peoples' livelihoods; any forum you participate in has to be treated as a court of law. (And, really, who are we if not a jury?)

In other words, liability becomes a dominant force in your life. Thank our attorney culture for that. (See digression at end.)

Regarding the final, most penetrating question about the company's history, I think the only satisfactory answer for most would be, "we were bad people who became good people, and we hope anyone who chose to follow our model does the same." If I could put words into Gao's mouth (btw, wasn't there a show named "Gao," or am I just thinking of "Garo"?) they would be as follows:

We started out as many fans do, confusing 'access' with 'ownership' and not fully appreciating the fallout. When we finally faced that issue head on, we made the decision to change and we were able to do so only because of several extremely lucky breaks. Anyone who has chosen to follow our lead needs to understand that they can't rely on those breaks to happen for them.

Short version: You can start out the same as we did, but there's no guarantee that you'll finish the same.

My digression about attorney culture: you know that famous photo of the construction workers in New York City all sitting on that crossbeam seemingly miles in the air, calmly eating their lunches? Every time I see that, my reaction is "no lawyer would ever allow that photo to be taken today." This image that is held up as a symbol of American grit and can-do has been turned into an anachronism by the fear of liability. Thanks, lawyers!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting interview, but it was rather irritating that even now, he still found a way to justify the way the site used to operate. I'm genuinely confused how it was ok in his mind for Naruto to be on CR simply because they were offering a "simulcast" before Viz had a chance to do anything with it. I don't see how that makes a difference. It doesn't really change that they had licensed content on the site. I'm also glad Zac pointed out that the venture capital wouldn't have shown up if the site didn't have already licensed shows bringing in viewers.

I'd say that my feelings about CR remain the same. I wish them luck and hope they can help anime, but they won't be seeing anything from me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6