• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Black Butler Author Decries Illegal Videos, Downloads

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quote
darkslayer709 wrote:
First of all I do not condone piracy; I think that if you like a series enough to download it or watch it on the internet then you should be prepared to support the creator and pay for it.

I agree. In fact, it's what I do. I'll check out a series, and it WILL eventually end up on my shelf. Heck, I've been feeling bad buying USED current items, knowing they don't give the creaters profit, yet only did it because it was dirt cheap! I've been recently just been buying OOP stuff used, in order to try and help support!

FeralKat wrote:
I am shocked at the amount of butthurt that is going on in this thread. Mad I guess when fans hear it from the creator's mouth, the excuses they've been using to fuel their self-entitled entertainment goes down the drain.

As for the people who bought Kuroshitsuji merch or DVDs, kudos to you, but the majority of the fans out there don't have your moral intent.

I'm surprised too! People will defend their wrong doings to the grave, I swear! Once again, I honestly don't mind checking out a series if you have an intention to buying it, but how many of those fans that emailed her, ever did? Besides, there IS free streaming, like the ones listed on the topic. Too many people are picky about subs, and that'll never end either -_-...

The ONE time a mangaka speaks up (and I've been waiting for it too...) we get... complaints?? Really?? What if more and more speak up and say the same thing? Do you whine and just stop reading manga altogether?

Oh, and with the "find a new employment" comment, you think half the world is having fun trying to do that? She has talent in what she does, why waste it? I never have read/watched the series, but I love the art!

Last edited by Sheleigha on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I just can't believe that people would write to her and say "Hey, I saw your stuff in a manner where you don't get anything back and I loved it! Thanks for the free stuff!" That's just crass.
BentenPlum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I dont like the idea of being called a 'fan' when there are people out there who call themselves fans and then trash the artist(Yana Toboso), because she want to protect their creations.

If anything, I'm a loyal artist, who respects the hardwork and crap hours they work to show me something they cherish.

I will admit when I first got into anime I watched most of the series I liked on illegal sites, and for some reason I thought these actions were okay because I wasnt downloading anything.

But my attitude towards even watching illegal streaming has turned into something sour. Even if I hated a series(which wasnt often because I read reviews like a smart shopper Razz ), I will buy it. why? I viewed their work, and they deserve my respect.

(By the way, I'm not made of money like some of my friends, but I dont see that as an excuse. If you dont have the cash, then save up and wait til you do. I feel as an American, that we owe the Japanese Market our patience. AND if you cant be patient make your own show and stop complaining, we live in American god knows we could if we wanted.)
ultimafullmetal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
The starvation thing may be exaggerated, but if the readers don't pay for the product, than why should the mangaka continue creating? Why should anyone bother creating when they just get ripped off?

The download-and-don't-support attitude is discouraging to new writers as well as established ones, and she has a right to give her opinion on it. I am glad she did. I hope more follow suit.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Elliotpage wrote:
I swear to god you are an idiot. Have you ever created anything and had it stolen? Maybe then you'd have a response other than "Feeling a tad emotional"

Good grief. Oh, and for the record, my answer to this is "yes", though they didn't "steal" it. I gave it away, because this is what one needs to do in order to make money. Not easy to teach when the student would rather rant about "theft" while making stupid comparisons to the real world, like Toboso did with:

Quote:
It is the same as shoplifting or leaving a restaurant without paying the bill.

I seriously want to know why people keep making this idiotic statement. They're not the same thing and never have been the same thing.

Shoplifting? No. The true comparison is someone walking into the book store, reading the entire book, and walking out without buying the book, which isn't illegal.

Not paying the bill? Again, no. However, I'm sure every restaurant owner would absolutely love to see copyright law changed where they get to charge the customer a fee for viewing the menu as they get up to leave without paying because they didn't order anything from that menu. Still not illegal to do this. Yet.

Someone enlighten me as to why people think this way. Because from where I sit, calling someone else an idiot is the last thing these "artists" should be doing.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:

Oh, and with the "find a new employment" comment, you think half the world is having fun trying to do that? She has talent in what she does, why waste it? I never have read/watched the series, but I love the art!

If she's got talent, then she'll do alright.

Honestly though, this is the same discussion we had with music and game producers. Same piracy problem. Same sense of entitlement.

The harsh reality is that those with talent will probably do more than well. But those who are kind of average struggle. A lot. Most will have to have a 2nd job to support themselves. Media artists have rarely had great lives of luxury unless they are just really, really good. Its just life. And its not at all strange that someone cannot get by on their manga alone).

I mean, that's my entire point. She had no guarantee of being able to have all of her products completely protected. It would be nice, I suppose. But this ain't paradise. Its the manga/anime markets forced now to deal with same thing every other media has faced. Digital distribution and the vastness of the internet.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I just can't believe that people would write to her and say "Hey, I saw your stuff in a manner where you don't get anything back and I loved it! Thanks for the free stuff!" That's just crass.

Yeah, trolls are stupid like that sometimes.
ZiharkXVI wrote:
Its the manga/anime markets forced now to deal with same thing every other media has faced. Digital distribution and the vastness of the internet.

So if they offered the newest chapters of her book every month for free legally and translated, would you read them?
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

So if they offered chapters of her book every month for free legally, would you read them?

No. I don't like Kuroshitsuji.

But to answer your question for other anime/manga. Sure, why not? If it was legal.

I've even read/watched stuff online illegally at times (more preview purposes than anything else - I have large collections of anime that I probably watched a few episodes on some streaming site first).
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Uh Oh Ding Ding Ding! FIGHT! I feel for her.

wandering-dreamer wrote:

Yeah I thought so as well, considering that she lives off of what she makes, of course she would be upset. She has the right to.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
This all started because some idiots tweeted her before GFantasy even came out. God, people are so stupid.

I'm anti-scans, but come on. Have some common sense.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
She makes a good point about illegal downloading, but she might be a bit too harsh. I, like most people do download fansubs to watch, but do I try get the DVD releases of shows I like, but I don't expect to be buying every single show I watch it would just cost too much money. Also, I think her message about creators and VAs not making money from illegal downloads is true, I have a friend who downloads hundreds of anime series and states his reasons for not buying any releases as "Why do I want to spend money when I can get it for free?"(It's pretty messed up). I support Yana Toboso's statements about downloading, but like others have stated, she should have also said "If you like my works, please support me by purchasing my products".
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
This, basically. These kind of actions go beyond mere selfishness into being an outright jackass.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Shoplifting? No. The true comparison is someone walking into the book store, reading the entire book, and walking out without buying the book, which isn't illegal.

Not paying the bill? Again, no. However, I'm sure every restaurant owner would absolutely love to see copyright law changed where they get to charge the customer a fee for viewing the menu as they get up to leave without paying because they didn't order anything from that menu. Still not illegal to do this. Yet.
Not that I expect to change your mind, given your history on this issue, but neither of your analogies fit, either. The first one isn't true for all cases because there is still potential ownership here -- you can have scanlations and fansubs on your computer. The second one is absolutely not true, because they've already consumed the content -- be it reading the story or eating the food.

Last edited by HellKorn on Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
They should institute a system where you can steal all the television and comic books you want online and bitch up a storm whenever anyone tries to actually enforce the law, but once a month the author of the work you're stealing gets to come to your house and kick you really hard in the nuts.
naniwhale

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I agree with her, people should not be downloading online and watching free manga and they should be supporting the artist. It's just wrong, I'm an artist and if I found out someone stole my stuff I would be pretty mad too. I think she felt used in a way. Those emails she got from the fan's are just so rude, and brainless? who tells someone that kind of stuff to the artist. It's like sick humor on their part. Yeah....
I worry about the future of manga now and the fan base...
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
And honestly, you know what, the Kuroshitsuji anime sucked. I was only planning on buying it because I DID watch it pirated first, and I wanted to support the mangaka because the manga is actually good.

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who feels that way.

The manga is plot with some fanservice, while the Anime is fanservice with some plot.

And Season 2 is even worse. It's just fan favorite characters doing things to make fangirls squeal. The first ten seconds is a bruised naked boy who was just raped by his father, and it went downhill from there.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 28