• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best movies to start with?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angiep29

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Hi everyone-
I would love to at least get into anime a little bit because my fiance loves it. However, I have only caught a few episodes and only seen the covers- overtly sexual and like every two minutes some instance of fanservice. (Godannar is a dvd set I just saw... lol.... why??? Its so funny.)
Scantily clad ladies don't bother me but I don't want freakish boobs shoved in my face and every two seconds having a skirt blown up...
I know usually there is some of it but I'd like to find some good story lines that have little to none of that right now.
Thanks!
ZenErik

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I am not into the whole fan service thing either. As far as movies, how about Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, and 5 Centimeters Per Second? Those are some of my top recommendations for movies.

Patlabor movie 1 + 2 are good slow paced movies. You'd think that there would be a lot of action because of how prominent mecha are in the series, but they are deeper than that.

If you want some action/mecha how about some Gundam? The original Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy is great.

If you want some TV too, Nana would be an excellent choice. My older sister, who doesn't normally watch anime, watched the first episode and got hooked quickly.

There is tons more anime to consider depending on what you're interested in. Sci-fi, thriller, romance, drama, comedy, slice-of-life, action, fantasy, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
angiep29

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Id like sci-fi, thriller, action, fantasy, stuff like that.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
I am not into the whole fan service thing either. As far as movies, how about Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, and 5 Centimeters Per Second? Those are some of my top recommendations for movies.

These are especially great suggestions, and timely as Satoshi Kon (director of Millenium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers) just died earlier this week. 5 cm per Second is beautiful, though getting harder to find. On the other hand, if you can't find it and don't mind waiting a few months it has been re-licensed recently. I'm looking forward to getting it on DVD if it gets distributed soon.

I also agree with about Patlabor, though it's an older film (1989), its still really solid. I just watched the first one of those this week, and am looking forward to the second -- which seems to have the most praise.

Grave of the Fireflies is fantastic, though heavy subject matter. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Tekkon Kinkreet is a favorite of mine as well. I tend to enjoy the theatrical releases a bit more, in general.

There a few shows I'd recommend though -- Mushishi is great, very mellow, really beautiful, and episodic so you don't have to watch them in order, or can take a break inbetween episodes. I've heard people describe it as "the X-Files on valium." It's still easy to find, too, and not very expensive. Paranoia Agent is getting harder to find, but is an amazing psychological thriller TV show, also by Satoshi Kon.

Older TV shows that I've loved all the way through (though are getting harder to find) would include Haibane Renmei, Kino's Journey, and Serial Experiments: Lain.

Another good way to approach anime when you're first getting into it might be to try out anthology DVDs like Memories, or Animatrix, or NeoTokyo (if you can find it). At the Otaku USA magazine website Daryl Surat wrote a great article reviewing several anthologies this year.

Speaking of Daryl Surat, he has a great podcast called Anime World Order. There are hundreds of archived titles reviewed there by Daryl and his friends Clarissa and Gerald. It's the best anime review podcast I've run across, though of course the ANNcast here on ANN can have intriguing mini-reviews (though their reviews admittedly aren't the focus of the podcast as much as they are on AWO). You can find literally dozens of things that might pique your interest, and AWO are funny as hell as well.
ArmchairTitan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Most of the movies by the tragically late Satoshi Kon are good choices. Paprika is a fascinating sci-fi / fantasy thriller, and the already mentioned Tokyo Godfathers and Millenium Actress are also excellent choices.

If you are willing to compromise and watch a mini-series then you may enjoy Time of Eve as a nice mix of sci-fi and comedy.

The classic choice for more through-the-looking-glass style fantasy would be many of the Miyazaki movies. Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are good starting points. A lot of the popular Studio Ghibli's movies tend to be quite family-oriented which you may want to avoid if you are strictly seeking mature animations, but there is certainly a wide variety available for all tastes and audiences. And of course, as with many Disney movies in the West, there is always a deeper moral or theme to enjoy regardless of which you choose to watch.

Edited for clarification.

Last edited by ArmchairTitan on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
Tiel08

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
What is tokyo godfather all about? Is that the same with the GODFATHER in new york? the gangster / mafia?
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quote
ArmchairTitan wrote:
The classic choice for more through-the-looking-glass style fantasy would be many of the Miyazaki movies. Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are popular starting points. These particular movies share Disney's family-targeted approach however, so you may want to keep that in mind if you were strictly seeking more adult-oriented materials.

I must object to the characterization of Mononoke Hime as "family-targeted." It is most definitely an "adult-oriented" movie with complex characters and a deep plot. Lady Eboshi is one of the most nuanced "villiains" (if you can call her that) in anime. The story presents the struggle between human "progress" and the natural environment in a way that offers no easy answers. This is the film that made me start paying attention to Japanese animation.

I'd agree that Spirited Away and most of Miyazaki's later works like Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo are oriented more toward family audiences. Nevertheless as someone approaching retirement age in the next few years, I put Mononoke Hime at the top of my list of anime films, followed by Kon's Millennium Actress. I have no trouble recommending either film to adults curious about anime.

If you're willing to dip your toe a little deeper in the anime pond, Angie, why not watch an episode or two of Monster and see what you think? The first episode is here.
ArmchairTitan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I must object to the characterization of Mononoke Hime as "family-targeted." It is most definitely an "adult-oriented" movie with complex characters and a deep plot. Lady Eboshi is one of the most nuanced "villiains" (if you can call her that) in anime. The story presents the struggle between human "progress" and the natural environment in a way that offers no easy answers. This is the film that made me start paying attention to Japanese animation.

I'd agree that Spirited Away and most of Miyazaki's later works like Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo are oriented more toward family audiences. Nevertheless as someone approaching retirement age in the next few years, I put Mononoke Hime at the top of my list of anime films, followed by Kon's Millennium Actress. I have no trouble recommending either film to adults curious about anime.

You are completely correct. When I wrote "these particular movies" I was referring to Miyazaki / Studio Ghibli movies in general, not specifically to the two productions I mentioned previously. I was certainly far too vague in clarifying that, for which I apologise. Consider it corrected. Smile
gundam83

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I have to recommend Flag I love this anime has a great story I should check it out on the encycopedia Very Happy
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
For young kids my list is: Kamichu, Figure 17, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Elfin Lied. Howl's Moving Castle.

Too many kids are introduced to anime by the super-popular titles such as Naruto and Sailor Moon. Although those shows have their points, they are not the best the industry has to offer.

spoiler[Just kidding on the Elfin Lied.]
ponlork

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Let's see... movies: Spirited Away, Tokyo Godfathers, 5 centimeters per second, Kiki's Delivery Service, Perfect Blue, and STREET FIGHTER II!

I screen Tokyo Godfathers every Christmas haha R.I.P. Satoshi Kon
burntlettuce

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
It really shocks me that I have seen no recommendation for the Ghost in the Shell movies. They are very entertaining and the first one involves a lot of philosophy. Great movies and a good introduction to anime. Plus if you like them you can go into the very well done series Ghost in the the Shell SAC and GiTS SAC 2nd GiG.

Anything done by Satoshi Kon is also a must see. Some really good movies here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
spoiler[Just kidding on the Elfin Lied.]
I just know someone is going to avoid reading the spoiler on principle and actually show their kids Elfin Lied one of these days.

To 1st poster....
Kino's Journey. Get. Pop in DVD player. Must. Now!

Edit: oops, isn't this a recommendation thread?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
angiep29 wrote:
Hi everyone-
I would love to at least get into anime a little bit because my fiance loves it. However, I have only caught a few episodes and only seen the covers- overtly sexual and like every two minutes some instance of fanservice. (Godannar is a dvd set I just saw... lol.... why??? Its so funny.)
Scantily clad ladies don't bother me but I don't want freakish boobs shoved in my face and every two seconds having a skirt blown up...
I know usually there is some of it but I'd like to find some good story lines that have little to none of that right now.
Thanks!

Well then, this list is for you, and will get you started on about 300 prospects. It's not comprehensive to the entire encyclopedia, but does include the titles I've seen that were a bit more sophisticated.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:18 am Reply with quote
I can reccomend Sword of a Stranger for some cracking action/fantasy. Ninja Scroll is also a classic .. but has a definate sexual undertone. Don't watch the series Ninja Scroll only the movie. The series is rubbish.

If you wan't to go even further back Akira and Venus Wars are still entertaining romps.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2