• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2010-08-18

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
Quark wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

It's kind of funny when I prefer End of Evangelion MORE than the actual TV show. Not even just episodes 25 and 26, the entire thing. I guess his big EF YOU to some fans was more like a sweet night of romantic love?

Oh, so, so agreed. I don't even bother watching the TV series ending anymore. If I'm watching Eva, I always watch EoE as the proper ending. It's up there as one of my favourite movies ever, and I've watched it enough that I can recite good chunks of the dialogue along with the movie in Japanese. If all Hideaki Anno's 'screw-you's are like this, I say, keep 'em coming.

QFT. As far as I'm concerned, the entire series - original ending and all - is just setup for EoE, one of the most amazing just-under-two-hours in the history of animated cinema. The end of the world as we know it was never before or since so perfectly traumatizing and beautiful.

Sorry. Gushing.

I just say "Screw it all. We have Rebuild's awesomeness now"

Wonder how much more money I'll be throwing at Gainax in the future.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
*is a bit disturbed by this particular addition of Anime News Nina Confused *

Last edited by InuNaruPokeAlchemist on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

Doesn't everyone understand that he will re-build everything in some cool original way *including* another frustratingly unsatisfying ending. The man's a genius. Twisted Evil

Last edited by Cheesecracker on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:47 am Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:
garfield15 wrote:

Doesn't everyone understand that he will re-build everything in some cool original way *including* another frustratingly unsatisfying ending. The man's a genius. Twisted Evil

If Rebuild 4.0 is NOT a nightmarish, violent mind-screw of Lynchian proportions, I will personally be VERY disappointed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:47 am Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:
garfield15 wrote:

No, this time he promised the ending would make sense......

Now, I'm not sure if between now and 4.0 he'll change his mind and go "screw you fanbase" again but I'm hoping that maybe he'll legitimately make an ending that doesn't leave it's stuff up to interpretation.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:49 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Hideaki Anno is an arsehole to the very fans which made Evangelion popular

How is he an a-hole to them, exactly?

There is a fairly popular and long-standing theory that End of Evangelion was one big "screw you" message by Anno to fans who had so pitched fits over the way he ended the TV series that a few even went as far as sending death threats. (The text of these can be seen flashed on the screen at one point late in EoE, which some take as conclusive evidence of this.) This theory persists because the movie seems to give fans everything they wanted before taking its cruel and bizarre turns in its later stages (especially concerning Asuka).

Oh, and as a big Eva fan, I also found this absolutely hilarious.

Oh, this myth still persists?

That's funny. Anime fans are always thinking certain things are true because somebody in a discussion once said it and it became popular to say.

Like "Akira Toriyama intended to end Dragon Ball with Namek", another unsubstantiated rumor and even at odds with the material itself. But people want things to be true if it makes them feel better believing it.

Weren't there also letters of thanks in the same sequence with the hate mail in EoE?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
No, this time he promised the ending would make sense......

'Normal' people sense or Hideako Anno sense. I'm pretty sure there's a huge difference.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:10 am Reply with quote
Rebuild of Eva 4.0 will be a 3-hour long end-of-the-world sequence where, after Kaoru brings about horrifying bloody destruction of everything we know and love, the world collapses into a banal, predictable moe rom-com featuring loli-ized Rei and Asuka fawning over a clueless Shinji. The ensuing two hours will be a barely-modified repurposing of the script from 6 random episodes of H20 ~Footprints in the Sand~ with the names replaced.

The end credits will roll over an 8-bit graphic of Anno pointing at the camera and laughing, while the OP theme from Master of Martial Hearts plays.

Last edited by jsevakis on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
But which Eva character would take the role of Hamaji, the awesome trap from H20?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
They should have a show where the theme park Eva dukes it out with the theme park Gunbuster.

gatotsu: If the original movies were the intended ending, we wouldn't be seeing four more of 'em. Or even those re-releases of the first two with "extra" footage. As for EoE, I liked it better when it was called Akira. Rolling Eyes

Cheese: I'm actually surprised Giant Hacks hasn't jumped on the 3-D band-wagon yet.

penguin: I'm guessing Toriyama intended to end DB with adult Trunks, but the fans wanted more of him.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:35 am Reply with quote
I was going to predict a 35 minute single shot of Shinji playing Mahjong alone in a sunny meadow. During which only one play is made...and fade to black. The tension would all be generated by a remix of Fly Me to the Moon that starts to skip about 10minutes in.

'and let me pl'
'and let me pl'
'and let me pl'
'and let me pl'
'and let me pl'
'and let me pl'
'and let me pl'
'and let me pl'

The man's a GENIUS

Not since the 2nd season of Haruhi will the repetition card be played so ruthlessly.

Or maybe he should just replace the whole 4th movie with another movie. My vote is the Nadia movie. They could digitally place Eva faces over the original characters' faces.
Chunx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:39 am Reply with quote
@jsevakis

For the love of everything nice... please... no....
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:43 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Rebuild of Eva 4.0 will be a 3-hour long end-of-the-world sequence where, after Kaoru brings about horrifying bloody destruction of everything we know and love, the world collapses into a banal, predictable moe rom-com featuring loli-ized Rei and Asuka fawning over a clueless Shinji.

I'll go w/ this but only if the audio is thrashed and the compression is horribly artifacted. Any chance it'll be a hentai?
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote
Clever.

Though Anno left Gainax years ago. People shouldn't group them together anymore.
boznia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:30 am Reply with quote
Oh Robin, you've made not only my day, but my entire month. You win August. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5