• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2010-08-18

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Hilarious comic. As a huge fan of both NGE and the new movies, I got a kick out of this. Laughing (Incidentally, I watched the live stream of that Eva World exhibit which was fun for an international flavor regarding chats that were occurring.)

Also, I wanted to help clarify the misconception of Anno making EoE as revenge/an F-you to fans is just that: a misconception. Translated death threats (only few of them were, the rest was praise for the TV ending and anticipation for EoE) are here.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
This is why I read Robin's comics, for the most part enjoy them and when time permits, comments on them. She is exceptionally talented as a writer and artist, but she is able to illustrate the finnier points of anime and certain aspects of anime.

The tower of Rei was at best, a interesting concept, but other two concepts were pure gold. Long ago (okay, maybe not that long ago and no I am not copying ookami and the seven companions for the record) watched Eva years ago. Excellent series and quite worthy of the masterpiece title.

However, even though I think this is the greatest mecha anime in the 90's and maybe today, I can still enjoy the comic. It's no secret at all that some fans didn't like the end of Eva, but that isn't what I am trying to get at. Robin knows this, but instead of just making a parody of sorts (which has been done time and time again), Robin is making a statement.

That statement indicates Robin has knowledge of anime culture and some of the less socially accepted sides as well. But not just any statement, it feels like Robin, in a way, is saying "Even an awesome show such as Neon Genesis Evangelion has faults, but despite all that, this show is still popular and well received."

I could be wrong, but creativity such as this is open to interpretation. That said, if anyone ever needed a reason why you should read this comic, this comic states it all. Just when you think you've seen it all (which can happen, quite easily if you've been with anime for several years-decades) Robin provides new insight on a series either you'll like or dislike.

Great comic Robin, it can't be easy in the least to produce exceptional and well made works of art such as this comic, but it's worth the wait each week and well worth reading.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:46 am Reply with quote
Because I didn't really follow Eva after the TV series run, I had no idea about the letters and such (I never saw End of Evangelion, wasn't interested in it at the time of its initial release). Seems I missed an awful lot of drama.
DTJB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:15 am Reply with quote
Anno statue doesn't have NEARLY as much facial hair as the real thing.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like the final two episodes of the series mainly because it had no part in what came before. It would have been fine, if the mental world was part of the series, but it was not. You are suddenly dumped into some mind game and left there for two episodes. (Like what the Germans do when they close the autobahn, and detour you into the countryside, with no signage telling you how to get back on the autobahn and you are left driving on one lane roads in the dark through tiny villages, praying the hostel villians don't get you.)

I liked the EoE, it was spectacular and great, but even the ending of that was not that great. Shinji basically learned nothing and was the same person he was at the beginning of NGE. No character development, just the same crying boy raging at how unfair the world is.

Sad to say, everyone I liked died. All we are left with is Shinji who has learned nothing and is killing off the world's last woman because he is mad that the world is unfair. This is not even a tragic ending, just a miserable ending. So I think there might be a bit of truth to the theory of Anno's revenge.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Sad to say, everyone I liked died. All we are left with is Shinji who has learned nothing and is killing off the world's last woman because he is mad that the world is unfair. This is not even a tragic ending, just a miserable ending. So I think there might be a bit of truth to the theory of Anno's revenge.

Hopefully this reply isn't veering off-topic but:

Yui, Rei, and Kaworu all say that "Anybody who can see themselves in their own heart can restore their bodies." (I'm probably merging Rei and Yui's somewhat similar lines but oh well. Razz ) after Third Impact's done and over with. Besides, I personally find it hard to believe that out of some 6 billion people (well, less because Second Impact) living at the time of 3rd Impact, only two psychologically-screwed up teenagers would have the strength to return.

I see the ending (TV26 as well, if you believe the TV ending and film ending are somehow concurrent (I do.)) being bittersweet ("life is what you make of it") instead of completely bitter, but that's just me.

I know Anno at least had no problem with the TV series ending (He yelled "Too bad!" in English at some American fans who complained to him during a convention.), but it's somewhat hard to say what Anno's original intent was (eg: Was he happy with both endings which is why both were created?, does he prefer EoE over the series ending? etc etc), considering interesting information from Hiroyuki Yamaga from Fanime 2010. (At least Yamaga explains Gainax had time constraints, NOT budget when it came to the final two episodes. Tsuramaki also said this in some statement/interview with EoE, I believe.)
hipnox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:25 am Reply with quote
Im a long time Eva fan (its my #1 anime) and i find this strip to be one of the best Anime news nina (next to Paola´s Granny, of course).

While i love Eva (with EoE) and Sadamoto´s take on Eva in the manga, i am not really convinced with all these spinoffs and remakes.

They are milking the series way too much.

I watched the first 2 rebuild films and i find them "unnecesary", rushed, cramped with too much plot and action but with little to no character development, and lacking that dark, mysterious and mind F%@# feel the series had.
To make matters worse, they make major plot changes, add a new character and changed or tweaked the personalities of our well know characters (Asuka is especially diferent in the movies)

For me, Evangelion is just:

The original series (or the Renewal)
End of Evangelion
Evangelion Manga by Sadamoto
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
You know what's hilariously Ironic?

Eva was created to deconstruct and critisize merchandise-driven robot anime.

It ended up becoming the most milked and mechandised anime ever.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
You are suddenly dumped into some mind game and left there for two episodes.

This claim can certainly be granted. The final two episodes present the viewer with a challenge — or perhaps a puzzle — that many attentive viewers might fail on their first viewing. Successful completion of this challenge involves understanding of not only what events the conclusive episodes represent, but how they follow from series' earlier happenings.

I myself only became aware of how such episodes should be interpreted after consulting online resources in the days that followed my completion of the series, and it may thus be said that I effectively failed to solve this puzzle with any modicum of immediacy.

Of course, a further challenge was then presented in the form of the theatrical finale. The aim of this challenge was not primarily to interpret the screenplay and infer an understanding of its narrative or its intended moral — seeing as such tasks aren't as difficult in this work — but instead to be able to bear the sheer horror of witnessing the world's foreshadowed fate unfolding. I watched the second part of the film in a disgusted state of awe, and was unable to return to a collected frame of mind for quite a while afterwards. Perhaps I failed this second challenge also, even though I fathom my response to have been intended by the director.

(Many people didn't find it nearly as horrifying as I however, perhaps in virtue of their comparatively stronger dispositions.)

In effect, on two occasions I was forced to undergo something for which I was unprepared: an interpretational game firstly, and a thorough evocation of my propensity to be repulsed secondly.

As regards one of the misconceptions being spoken of in this thread, I have this to say.
I feel many things about the "challenges" I have mentioned, though it does not occur to me that some sort of vengeance has been enacted upon me by the director. I do not stand in agreement with those who claim that Anno has made any part of Evangelion out of malice towards his fans. He has provided his viewers with a wealth of experiences, and although not all of these are particularly pleasant, it cannot be safely assumed that a dislike of the viewers was the motivation for providing them. Anno did not seemingly wish to pander to our desires and provide us with instant gratification, though such an unwillingness to do so need not be misconstrued as a desire to dissatisfy.

The author of the cartoon strip may or may not have wished to imply this in earnest, though I'm not in a position to conjecture more precisely on such a matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5