• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Missing Inaction

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:22 am Reply with quote
If everyone could stop baawing about this new P3 game for a moment the Megaten trio just announced a new game they're working on for the PS3/360 called Catherine that's supposed to be a horror/adventure and it looks like the odd guy in the bar from P3P is the protagonist.

Seriously it's just a cell phone game (that and basically a Persona MMO, not another copy of the actual P3), it's not like the entire company is freezed over and it's the only thing they're working on.

And for a second there I couldn't tell that DS game was part of the Saga series because it doesn't feature Tomomi Kobayashi's art.

Last edited by sepherest on Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:21 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Still, I'll be happy if they do make a PSP release of Persona 2. I won't be picking up a PS1 copy of it any time soon. Need extra pocket money for that^^

I'm actually sitting on a copy of Persona 2 I picked up at a Gamestop shortly before they started dumping their ps1 games. Got it for $40 bucks. And discovered shortly thereafter that I'm not a Persona fan. But I've still got it, along with the Arc the Lad collection and a few other random old-school RPGs... still haven't decided whether to gift that game to someone, or undercut the ebay sellers by five dollars...

Vent wrote:
Why is everyone acting like a Japanese online cell phone game is going to come out over here anyway?

Didn't Squeenix have some cell phone game with "crystal" in the title, that got re-released on PSP and is either rumored or confirmed to be releasing outside Japan? I am most likely wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if I was somehow right, either...

As for stuff in the main article, I've pretty much given up on Bandai-Namco Games ever not disappointing me again when it comes to the Tales of franchise. There are probably as many games they haven't given us as there are properly numbered FF titles. And then you have ToVesperia, where they decided not to give us the PS3 version, because their copout 360 release (thanks M$, for presumably money-hatting us out of what could have been an amazing PS3 RPG) didn't sell well on a platform that is hardly known for its Japanese role-playing game releases. Luckily for me, my game-playing habits have shifted since I got out of school and started working full time, and I tend to play more shooters and action/adventure games than rpgs now.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:31 am Reply with quote
You know, it's funny lol. I just read these articles before reading this feature:
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/08/17/introducing-catherine-the-first-hd-game-from-the-persona-team/
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/08/18/catherines-connection-to-persona-3-portable/

It ain't Persona 5, but it sure is damned close.

Also...I'm going out on a limb here....but kudos to Bamco to severely limiting their Tales localizations. The Tales games are the very examples of what's wrong with JRPGs in today's industry.
Xagor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:43 am Reply with quote
I did not realise there was a remake of FF Legend 2 (Still too used to calling it that.) Really enjoyed 2 and 3 way back on the GB. I liked 3 enough at the time to choose the final boss as my username for stuff on the internet.

Does it still have the whole devouring your fallen enemies thing?
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:47 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

Also...I'm going out on a limb here....but kudos to Bamco to severely limiting their Tales localizations. The Tales games are the very examples of what's wrong with JRPGs in today's industry.

not so sure it's so much them limiting their strategy on their quality (these games are still huge over there), but so much as their previous failure at marketing strategy on what they HAVE released. In japan, they actually listen to the surveys fans fill out - hence ToG-F on PS3.

i could do a count based on my comparison spreadsheet, but i deleted it from my work pc. I think we've only seen maybe 30% of the actual tales stuff that's out there.

and frankly, the games are a lot of fun, so it's a real shame people are missing out.
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:00 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

Seems I'm not the only one who thinks this (although admittedly I love Destiny, Eternia and Symphonia). It doesn't help that the Tales studio is borderline bankrupt at the moment either. I just wish they'd try to make something that doesn't fall in their usual cliche zone but that seems to be the focal point of the series.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:15 am Reply with quote
Dammit, now I HAVE to get a PSP for Tactics Ogre...and 3rd Birthday. Yoshida is by far the best artist at Square
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:18 am Reply with quote
Call me crazy, but I think shooting yourself in the head loses its edge after the first time around.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:51 am Reply with quote
Geez, there has been quite a few Persona 3 remakes. Is it because that one is somewhat flawed compared to say Persona 4 or the Japanese really like 3 more than 4?

glitteringloke wrote:
John Casey wrote:

and frankly, the games are a lot of fun, so it's a real shame people are missing out.

It's pretty much one of the few times I can play with my sister on an actual RPG game. I know we both had a blast on Tales of the Abyss.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:02 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Geez, there has been quite a few Persona 3 remakes. Is it because that one is somewhat flawed compared to say Persona 4 or the Japanese really like 3 more than 4?

They do like P3 more, though. Which is utterly baffling, since even a gorilla can easily tell that the characters in P4 aren't cardboard cutouts with bad dialog written for 30-somethings, the situations aren't completely ridiculous (sorry, but a robot and a friggin dog being Persona users? No.), and the game isn't a complete grind.

The industry is just as much to blame as the gamers. While I love some of my JRPGs, I will be frank with this - the Japanese populace is pretty damned irritating when it comes to RPGs in general. They're completely afraid to move forward, and want to stick to their cliched, boring, trite, recycled, then recycled the recycling conventions. Atlus usually moves forward, but I'm going to assume Persona 3 is too much of an idiot's cash cow to simply let go of it. Atlus will move forward.....just not with Persona 3.

And once again, this argument falls back to the Tales games. You won't find a series more cliched, boring, trite, recycled, then recycled with the recycled conventions. And this is partly because they listen to their fanbase so much. I can assure you, when it comes to feedback on games, fans are the last people you want feedback from...
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:41 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
And once again, this argument falls back to the Tales games. You won't find a series more cliched, boring, trite, recycled, then recycled with the recycled conventions. And this is partly because they listen to their fanbase so much. I can assure you, when it comes to feedback on games, fans are the last people you want feedback from...

in my business the 'clients' (here, the fans) are the people you DO want to listen to, since that pays the bills. look what happened with hearts' CG edition... they did try something different, at least graphically and no one liked it.

and i like cliches in my tales games :p ToP is prob the most guilty and i'll keep playing all it's remakes Smile
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
Finally SAGA 2 Hihou Densetsu Goddess of Destiny' and 'Seventh Dragon makes it stateside. Now why can't we have 'Blood of Bahamut'?

I was wondering when that game was ever coming over here. I'm thinking of picking it up. I'm sure the difficulty has been kicked up a notch since the GB version. I still have my old GB game. Man those games were hard. But I'm surprised that Square hasn't' thought to revamp some of their 'Romancing SaGa' games for the DS. I already know about the PS2's incarnation of the first game. Gawd those designs were awful.

I guess 'Atlus' is milking Persona 3' for everything it's worth. After all it was a hit. But now fans are wondering if they plan to do something fro the next platform. I wonder if that cell game will come with kick-ass music.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:34 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Finally SAGA 2 Hihou Densetsu Goddess of Destiny' and 'Seventh Dragon makes it stateside. Now why can't we have 'Blood of Bahamut'?

I think you kinda missed the point... They didn't make it here. That was the entire point of the column.

And to add onto your question, reason why Blood of Bahamut didn't make it here is because it's a god-awful mess of a game. Same with The Game With No Name, and especially Sigma Harmonics.

.....Good lord, Sigma Harmonics....
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:47 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

I think you kinda missed the point... They didn't make it here. That was the entire point of the column.

And to add onto your question, reason why Blood of Bahamut didn't make it here is because it's a god-awful mess of a game. Same with The Game With No Name, and especially Sigma Harmonics.

.....Good lord, Sigma Harmonics....

Oh. Geezus. Thanks for letting me know. I jumped the gun. So no release. Thanks a lot Square denying us a remake of what we got on GB. 'BoB' was that bad? I thought it did well. I'm guessing that was the reason why there was never much gameplay coverage on it. I'm going to have to research more info on this title. What went wrong.
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh God, I really want those Tarot cards.. do I even ever use/play with Tarot cards? Not really, but I've been obsessed with the beautiful designs on those cards since playing Ogre Battle as a kid. WANT
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3