• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hen Zemi's Tagro Addresses Illegally Streamed Videos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
JRT wrote:
Paploo wrote:
JRT wrote:
I don't mean respect, but just what Japan says. So let's say I watch subbed episodes of Gintama on Youtube. Does Japanese law prohibit me from doing so, or am I in unprohibited zone?

Copyright is international (so Gintama is protected worldwide), so you'd probably be infringing copyright within the laws of the region you are in.

Though FYI--- Gintama is available legally subbed on Crunchroll for streaming and dvd from Sentai Filmworks, so you shouldn't be watching it on YouTube anyways.

I was just using Gintama as an excuse. What I'm more interested in is if fansubs are. I heard they are ok to try as long as it isn't licensed here. So is the law that says Youtube is ok gone or not?

If it's under Japanese law, YouTube and Nico Nico are okay.

article wrote:
After the agency's pronouncements, the Gigazine website noted that YouTube users technically do download, if temporarily, a video file when they "stream." On the other hand, the Japanese copyright laws already had an exception to permit temporary file copies in browser and video player caches.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Quote:
If by implying that I am a filthy troll...

This is generally the label applied to those who take the statements of others out of context and twists them to serve a purpose to which the original statement was never addressed.

Oh, pull yourself out of whatever it is you may have wanted to write, and read what you actually wrote.

IN THE CONTEXT OF AN AUTHOR'S POSITION ON COPYRIGHT PIRACY, Mohawk says the leeches won't move on until after the product is no longer free, and by then the damage will have been done ...

and you say
Quote:
That's because too many people believe the only way to consume anime is through dead trees and recycled water bottles.

Anime and manga is produced well in advance that there's no excuse why global distribution couldn't be possible via the internet where legality and revenue-generation are both maintained.

Oh, wait. There is an excuse. It's ___________.

Aside from the deliberately provocative framing of any statement of actual real world obstacles to instant adoption of global distribution via the internet as an "excuse", and the shallow stereotyping of any stakeholder in an industry that lives paycheck from paycheck who does not immediately gamble their whole stake on what is currently a trickle of revenue available online ...

... there's the context. The context is an author asserting his rights in the face of leech fan entitlement.

If you start going on about there being no "excuse" for there not being global internet distribution in the context where "its not available the way I want it to be" is used as a rationalization for trampling the rights of authors ...

... why in the hell are you calling me names for calling you on what you wrote in the context in which you wrote it.

If that's not what you intended to convey, then you blew it, mate. Apologize for mis-stating and move on.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
You wouldn't be watching anime today, if people didn't watch it "illegally" back in the day.

Kimba, Astro Boy, Gigantor, Speed Racer.
My childhood & not watched illegally.

Power Rangers, Pokemon, Sailor Moon, YuGiOh & my re-entry drug of choice-Cardcaptors.
Shows I watched with my daughter that brought me back to the fold.
I always assumed these had more to do with the "run roughshod over the original product to make it acceptable for the US" school of Kimba & Astro, but the difference between the look of these shows & the stuff on Nick & the otehr network stuff (I hated Doug. I have only vague memories of why. I hated the art)
But I loved a lot of ADV's commentaries, in particualr when you got past the actors. The commentaries on Devil Hunter Yohko & Megazone 23 were extremely interesting. I could relate to bits of it since I took part in the whole fan scene in the late 1970's when VCRs were almost unheard of. Forget your scratchy VHS tapes. I believe I paid $800 for my first VCR back in 1983 but it might have been more. I belonged to a "Star Trek & Science Fiction" fan club back in '77 where the people would get together to watch videotapes of Star Trek usually belonging to someone in a film class & considering the Disney lawsuit around the time, they never said we were watching tapes, or they'd discuss various shows (Man From Atlantis, & such) or plot their next viewing in costume of Star Wars (the major players of the group drove a couple miles to the State Capital to see it in Dolby Stereo. Oooo)

Been there & done that scene, dude. There is a HUGE dif between what I heard the commentaries by Greenfield & whoever else (Ledford?) on Yohko & Megazone & what I see in the current fansub market.

TarsTarkas wrote:
The Japanese laserdisc's I had were bought in import shops when I was stationed in Hawaii. Though I did get some earlier from some mail order import shop in LA, whose name I forgot. Usually was hit or miss, you bought what they had, not what you wanted.

And if you wanted to know what that laserdisc said, you probably had to learn Japanese or find someone to translate it for you (unless they were Chinese bootlegs). Maybe they had English subtitles, though I'd think not if it was an import shop.

TarsTarkas wrote:
You Your argument really has no basis in reality, people are not going to stop watching anime, just because the creator of the show or the company which makes it says no.

I buy hardcopy when it is available, (still waiting for my copy of Toradora, talking to you Right Stuff), but if it is not, then all bets are off.

Feels like I am talking to an alien, who says he loves anime, but won't watch it if the creator of it doesn't want him to watch it. Really just don't understand that argument, maybe it is an argument that only a purist could understand.

No, just a gal who goes back to when we were doing this out of our love of the item that we wanted like a religion to spread the good work about. Fans who loved & respected the creators of what brought them joy. It's really sad you see it as alien. It's like any true love-putting one's own desires first will often kill it, although really it's more just really deep respect.

As for old titles, I was happy to see Ghost Sweeper Mikami licensed after 16 yrs--
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-08-17/section23-films-adds-utakata-taisho-baseball-girls
Its sort of the officeworker stuff which has a certain humor to it (unless the movie was very different)

???
TRSI sent me Persona & Toradora early. Pre-ordered Persona part 2, but probably passing on Toradora part 2. It wasn't horrid, but it wasn't what I hoped for by the description I got off people I asked. Had there been a fav VA in it, I might have continued, but Yoshino doesn't have much & I really don't have an interest in his work.

Really, it's up to you. About a month before the Mikami announcement someone at another board I hang out at mentioned watching it which seemed strange because it's ANCIENT & low & behold, it's licensed. That's the problem--the subs NEVER go away. My daughter was always arguing with little friends who complained they were poor high school students so they couldn't afford to pay for any of the anime they were voraciously devouring. Gravitation was one of the titles she regularly argued over kids downloading because it HAD been licensed & in fact had even dropped into a cheaper box release. I know more than a few people who brag they never pay for anime so I've really lost all tolerance for all the arguments.
ANd bottom line, there really is so fricken much out there. God, I have 2500 (2449 actually) anime dvds & I know damn well I don't have everything that's been licensed in the US since 2001. So you can't see a specific title, there is so much else out there besides that. One doesn't always get everything one wants, but one usually gets something. I was very happy Yen brought us Kuroshitsuji & then this year they announced Betrayal Knows My Name so I'm happy.
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:43 am Reply with quote
NDenizen wrote:
DoktorZetsubou wrote:
rather than people actually trying to defend their own pirating habits.

"Pirating" involves selling someone else's work for profit.

Goddamit, for the love of god can people stop getting this word wrong over and over again.
I endlessly tell myself the same thing in my head whenever "Pirating" is mentioned. They will never get it man, it's like when they say "Japanese dub" over and over. They don't know and don't seem to care, yet still criticize.

Neither do mods. They'll push you aside and call it "semantics".
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:31 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

CCSYueh, you need to pick a segment of the argument and stick to it, okay? Because if you don't, it makes conversations really difficult.

You said there was no excuse for Japanese anime companies not to simulcast all their stuff.
I pointed out Hollywood can't manage it with their much larger resources so how can you expect a smaller Japanese anime industry to pull it off?

PetrifiedJello wrote:
This example of the production isn't associated to my statement.

you were inplying there was no excuse for every anime not being posted online as it is airing in Japan. I'm merely pointing out the hole in the theory.

PetrifiedJello wrote:

Is there a rule stating content can only be produced by one person I wasn't aware of?

Depending on the content, sometimes only one person can. People tend to like the same VA playing the role throughout the anime. About a decade ago, one of the busier VA's commented it was possible to suvive doing 4 shows a year, but that also means they have to be able to fit the recording schedule for 4 shows into a time frame they can manage.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
You're reading content by someone responding to content you wrote.

I assume a message board doesn't have the same issues. It feels as though there are fewer legal issues involved.

PetrifiedJello wrote:

No, I'm not, CCSYueh. These negotiations often happen before production even starts.

Not always. Look at Tactics. ADV was in on the front end, but then apparently didn't like the end product so it was sold to Manga. Look at titles like Riki-oh being announced, but then dropped because they couldn't (from what I've heard) secure all the licenses.

PetrifiedJello wrote:

I can understand why. You're not familiar with how things are done.

I've listened to enough commentaries & sat in on a fair number of panels at comic-con. You just can't accept human nature's ability to mess stuff up, much less computer glitches.

PetrifiedJello wrote:

Now, which do you think is the better solution:
-let things go as they are and hope people become moral
-or-
-change the way things are done

The way things are going, the first option will happen sooner than the last.

I believe the fansubs you're championing are going to back us all into a corner we won't necessarily want to be in.
But I'm also patient enough to allow the companies their chance to work things out rather than force them into behaving the way someone else wants them to.

PetrifiedJello wrote:

Because of rules probably preventing Series X to be syndicated on Station Y which can be picked up by people outside of the syndication region.

Actually that was a ref to legalities. I know it's hell to get law enforcement agencies to work together which actually has been tossed around as an excuse for fansubs--the subbers are in countries outside the jurisdiction of Japanese law enforcement or American law enforcement so it's been treated like a blank check to download.

PetrifiedJello wrote:

The WORLD IS READY. It's those controlling content who are not.
Want proof? Those who pirate outside of accessible region code viewing, please explain to this young lady how your legal options fair in your local area.

No. Trust me.
People I work with could care less about watching any show from another country at the same time it airs in that country. There's more important issues so it goes back to there needs to be a sizable financial gain to be realized to justify mobilizing all those law agencies.

PetrifiedJello wrote:

The Blair Witch Project was filmed on a budget less than $100k. It made millions.

That was a fricken scam. News reports kept covering it so that even though I ignored it at first as trash, seeing it on the news & co-workers pushing it got my husband to want to see it. It was stupid.
And had they not found some film company willing to distribute it, they wouldn't have made a dime.

Sorry.
That dentist video is stupid.
But you do know $100,000 is crap to live on for the rest of one's life. Read enough sad lottery tales to know that,

Forget that.
How about rockers? I recall one hit wonder types commenting their first hit paid for the house, the second for the furniture, & then the money stiopped.
WolfLoner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:39 am Reply with quote
Quoted from CCSYueh

Quote:
Officially-yes, we all need to learn Japanese or Korean.

:e roll:

Quote:
Depending on your language background, you can become fluent in another languagin as little as three months, or it may take you years.

Read more: How Long Does it Take to Learn a Foreign Language? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5202361_long-learn-foreign-language_.html#ixzz0x2E0pQV
g

learning Japanese can be difficult for alot of westerns
and Europeans so by claiming and stating that we should all learn japanese is out of the question.

Quote:
Manga & anime is made for Japanese consumption.

Then why market for the west markets? for example most if not all mangas characters have western eyes or european eyes, which gives the expression that the mangas are set for sell outside of japan.

One another example is naruto, naruto hair is yellow if it was for japan the creator will make the hair black right?

Quote:

Those of us in the US, Romania, Outer Mongolia or anywhere outside of Japan should have no expectation to anime or manga

you forget russia, and other European countries have limited access to manga or anime.

Onemanga and mangastream were made for that reason, those who cant buy mangas or poor countries who cant even afford to have a credit card, can view the mangas and anime sub for free.

[/quote]
Dekoso

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
quote:

Those of us in the US, Romania, Outer Mongolia or anywhere outside of Japan should have no expectation to anime or manga

you forget russia, and other European countries have limited access to manga or anime.

Onemanga and mangastream were made for that reason, those who can't buy mangas or poor countries who can't even afford to have a credit card, can view the mangas and anime sub for free.

the limited access to manga or anime is NOT...the only reason...well..maybe I'm being really courageous to post this but(or really stupid)..."I'm from Brasil".....ok...you guys don't have any idea how anime is treated here...like..something really stupid that only kids with mental problem would watch...and I'm sure about that because I know some kids who are watching naruto on Tv and saying "hey..something is really wrong..." and they are smart enough to one day find it on internet, manga is something really nice here..and worth paying....nice translations and all...but anime...well...the main reason for us..to go after online anime is that, they are like...destroyed..

"how?" you ask me...

ok..lets take naruto....!!

when naruto pierce his hand with a kunai and make a promise to never get afraid and be strong and protect tazuna...of course..blood comes out..

but on TV...you see that they skip that...and only show his face..

also Asuma...WHAT THE PROBLEM SHOWING A GUY SMOKING??..they make ridiculous edit to avoid showing him smoking..there is even a pink thing on his mouth..

there are many other things..but....that type of censorship..is the main reason that we go after online anime..

we want to watch something good.....not something...ONE PIECE..that many guys here don't know that it's good...but watched the TV version and...well.....you guy must know how "GOOD" One Piece Tv is...one piece tv is really something trash
(come on..pirates getting drunk with...ORANGE JUICE????)

those are the main reason why we go after online anime...
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:49 am Reply with quote
OtakuExile wrote:
NDenizen wrote:

"Pirating" involves selling someone else's work for profit.

Goddamit, for the love of god can people stop getting this word wrong over and over again.
I endlessly tell myself the same thing in my head whenever "Pirating" is mentioned. They will never get it man, it's like when they say "Japanese dub" over and over. They don't know and don't seem to care, yet still criticize.

After multiple posts in this very thread explaining that this is a "special" definition of piracy, used only by people that don't like being called pirates, you still post this. To borrow from dictionary.com (but any other dictionary will do, they all agree), "the unauthorized reproduction or use of a copyrighted book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc.: The record industry is beset with piracy." There's no mention of selling because it has nothing to do with the definition. Whether you're selling it or giving it away for free, it's still piracy. Have you alerted every dictionary that they're wrong yet?

WolfLoner wrote:

One another example is naruto, naruto hair is yellow if it was for japan the creator will make the hair black right?

Well, that settles it. If a character doesn't have black hair it was made for western consumption. Why didn't anyone tell me?

Quote:

Onemanga and mangastream were made for that reason, those who can't buy mangas or poor countries who can't even afford to have a credit card, can view the mangas and anime sub for free.

I don't suppose profiting off the ad revenue from material they didn't have permission to host, using translations that didn't even make, had anything to do with it. Nope, in the words of another genius from the previous thread on this topic, it was "altruism". Altruism in this case resembles stuffing money in your pockets, but whatever.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:01 am Reply with quote
WolfLoner wrote:

One Manga was created because the guy saw that he could make millions from pirating manga. It's like claiming that the guy who ran comics.HTML was just a huge comic book fan when he was a felon who wanted to pressure the comic book companies into making him legit like Crunchyroll. One Manga has stated the same thing, they want to make money. Why do you think MF is located in China?
WolfLoner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Piracy has nothing to do with bad manga sales in Japan.

i agree with that statement ^

quote from somewhere

Quote:

One Manga was created because the guy saw that he could make millions from pirating manga. It's like claiming that the guy who ran comics.HTML was just a huge comic book fan when he was a felon who wanted to pressure the comic book companies into making him legit like Crunchyroll. One Manga has stated the same thing, they want to make money. Why do you think MF is located in China?

typical nonsense Rolling Eyes even i have websites running google adsense and i am not making as much.

your claiming that one manga and other sites are running through google adsense just so they can make off some cash over the magnas?

Quote:
Why do you think MF is located in China?

so? some video games also host there online severs in china under a proxy network.

Its the economic crisis which is the culprit for the manga sells drop

http://theweek.com/article/index/206180/is-the-recession-fueling-a-suicide-epidemic

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Japan/LH19Dh01.html
stories how women are struggling in this recession

and now double dip recession.

I guess none of you here ever heard of a recession
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:55 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
JRT wrote:
Paploo wrote:
JRT wrote:
I don't mean respect, but just what Japan says. So let's say I watch subbed episodes of Gintama on Youtube. Does Japanese law prohibit me from doing so, or am I in unprohibited zone?

Copyright is international (so Gintama is protected worldwide), so you'd probably be infringing copyright within the laws of the region you are in.

Though FYI--- Gintama is available legally subbed on Crunchroll for streaming and dvd from Sentai Filmworks, so you shouldn't be watching it on YouTube anyways.

I was just using Gintama as an excuse. What I'm more interested in is if fansubs are. I heard they are ok to try as long as it isn't licensed here. So is the law that says Youtube is ok gone or not?

If it's under Japanese law, YouTube and Nico Nico are okay.

article wrote:
After the agency's pronouncements, the Gigazine website noted that YouTube users technically do download, if temporarily, a video file when they "stream." On the other hand, the Japanese copyright laws already had an exception to permit temporary file copies in browser and video player caches.

And just so it's clear, watching unauthorized streams is currently legal in Japan. Depending on where you live, it may or may not constitute downloading and may or may not be a criminal offense.

Assuming you live in the U.S., it's generally been considered "okay" to consume fansubs of titles not licensed in North America, but this is a social convention established by the fansub community. It has no basis in actual law and stems from the fact that historically, the Japanese producers have pretty much ignored fansub distribution. This appears to be starting to change, so whether or not it's "okay" is a matter of active debate (at least on the ANN forums).
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:14 am Reply with quote
I'd say legally, in the U.S., watching fansubs on youtube is infringement of copyright as how our copyright law works is that it's the moment of creation and "read"/consumed by human or machine. So even if it never comes out here it falls under that copyright protection. (Now you register the work with us if you want file suit and is highly recommended, but is not necessary for copyright to be applied or for the author to enforce it)

So U.S., watching fansubs on youtube and other video sharing sites, illegal due to infringement.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:01 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
I pointed out Hollywood can't manage it with their much larger resources so how can you expect a smaller Japanese anime industry to pull it off?

Hollywood can manage it. They just won't manage it.

CCSYueh, we're talking about millions of dollars here and no one likes giving it up. If Hollywood is making rules telling companies like Netflix to wait 28 days to allow streaming of new releases for the sake of sales of DVDs, that's a problem for the artists who created the works.

28 days may not seem like much, but guess what happens in those 28 days when customers can't get their movie legally and don't want to buy the DVD.

The same example is applied with the anime industry is asking US companies to stop selling BDs to retailers who export to Japan. Look at the number of legal businesses just bitch slapped for the protection of $80 DVD sales.

No, the artist isn't hurt at all by these rules as the Japanese give a huge middle finger to $80 DVD prices while pirating.

There is one positive in all this: ramen is still very cheap for a meal.

Quote:
you were inplying there was no excuse for every anime not being posted online as it is airing in Japan. I'm merely pointing out the hole in the theory.

The hole in the theory is derived from those rules allowing the excuses to exist.

Quote:
Depending on the content, sometimes only one person can.

My apologies, but I may have mislead you and avoided a more important point: there is more than one manga and anime series coming out of Japan. Anime is a consumable, and yes, production may take some time, but the moment it's released, its value lasts for about as long as it takes for the next episode or volume of another artist to appear.

Quote:
Not always. Look at Tactics.

I did say often, not always. More importantly... Tactics was still distributed despite the disagreement which is a +1 to the artist.

Quote:
Look at titles like Riki-oh being announced, but then dropped because they couldn't (from what I've heard) secure all the licenses.

Here's proof the rules harm just as much piracy does. The end result is the same: $0 back to the artist.

Quote:
You just can't accept human nature's ability to mess stuff up, much less computer glitches.

Are you sure what you're hearing is what they're saying? Because when I hear "The logistical nightmare to stream gets difficult because all the copyright owners can't meet to discuss the terms in the short time we need to negotiate", I don't mistake it for "We can't technologically do this." like some are doing.

I agree I can't accept human nature's ability to mess stuff up when it's not difficult to mess up to begin with. Kind of like not accepting the idiot leaving the turn signal flashing despite the ease of flipping a lever.

I'll refer to the Sailor Moon licensing debacle and why fans think it's unreasonably messed up to rest this case.

Quote:
I believe the fansubs you're championing are going to back us all into a corner we won't necessarily want to be in.

I am not championing fan sub sites. I never have. I simply provide reasons why they exist and so far, not a single person has disputed these reasons.

Please don't associate me as championing fansub or scanlation sites. Their existence is not of my doing. The people who did wrong and made excuses for it are those to blame. We can tell who these righteous hypocrites are when they make statements like "I hope the coalition doesn't shut us down 'cause we're only doing unlicensed stuff" while blaming the readers.

Quote:
But I'm also patient enough to allow the companies their chance to work things out rather than force them into behaving the way someone else wants them to.

I'll point out the global recession was caused by those who waited. They waited and waited for a return on buying bad loans because they allowed someone else to "do what's right".

You'll forgive me if I find your patience rather ignorant considering we're still talking about people getting paid as businesses figure out what's in their best interest before cutting a single check to the artist whose options they lock tight.

Finally, I give you viable examples of how money is made, and the first thing you do is challenge the validity of each. I'm a little confused at your apprehension, but I'll reply regardless.

No one cares if you liked the Blair Witch Project. The fact remains: it made millions from spending little. You call it a scam, but fail to realize all of Hollywood's movies are scams.

I give you an example of a family making $100,000 and you relate it to the lottery. The fact remains: the video made them money. Your analogy to the lottery is absolutely correct and is absolutely no different than the entertainment industry's clients. You say $100,000 is crap to live on. You say some very interesting things, that's for sure, especially when you forget... this family didn't even expect the $100,000 when the video was made.

For every big major superstar, there are about 100 (or more) struggling because their published works, not pirated mind you, just aren't selling as well as they thought they would.

Damn non-paying customers. How dare they make a YouTube video more successful than a written book. Rolling Eyes

Now, we get to one of the boldest statements made:
Quote:
I recall one hit wonder types commenting their first hit paid for the house, the second for the furniture, & then the money stiopped.

Who is responsible for that? An artist who stopped working or a market who doesn't put value in those songs?

Take notice "Piracy" is not an option.
Almaz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Assuming you live in the U.S., it's generally been considered "okay" to consume fansubs of titles not licensed in North America, but this is a social convention established by the fansub community. It has no basis in actual law and stems from the fact that historically, the Japanese producers have pretty much ignored fansub distribution. This appears to be starting to change, so whether or not it's "okay" is a matter of active debate (at least on the ANN forums).

Which is why I think people are needing to quit backstabbing each over on the issue. What Takeyo said here is true. Panadora's box is already open. Try taking back some unsavory pictures you put up on the net. Not going to happen without turning into a China-like government. Even then, it is not going to stop the problems. China still has porn, anti-government talk, etc. I believe what the R1 anime industry is doing is right. Take down the major sites and offer fans what they want within reasonable bounds. I think all of the fan sites ought to be able fill in holes that exist. Companies exploit those ideas (stealing) and turn that into profit. As in Lion King, "It's the circle of life." It is not fair. Period.

Taking fansubs and music out of the picture, many fan sites abuse the copyright of X due to the use of images and text without permission. It is allowed under certain rules; however, I have been to many sites that have taken that to an extreme. Yet will are willing to stone the people who watch fansubs.

I have YET set a unbiased research the proves EITHER SIDE OF THE ISSUE. Does fansubs hurt the industry? YES AND NO. Wow, it is both. Is watching fansubs legal and right? Nope for most part (laws are different in every country.) I believe one country legalized downloads of music (which the copyright holders DID NOT WANT.) China does not give a crap. The Japanese did allow it to go on. All the bickering, trolling, thumb wars, b*tch slapping, is not going to change it.

I noticed another article talking about anime companies revenue is down. Show me a article showing any company having confidence (not BS) over sales. Video gaming, music, construction, housing, etc. are all tanking or putrid revenue growth. This is not an excuse for X. It is a fact period.

I am going to sit back in the corner and watch the circus. A good chick fight would be good.

Sorry Takeyo for using your quote as a jumping board. Disclaimer: views expressed here are not the views of Takeyo Smile
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
And there are cases of those fansites being taken down Almaz, so yes they are infringement and some companies will not accept it. But that's the key, the rights holders/company has to do it and it varies from company to company as to what is too much. So for one instance of everything must be stopped there are ones who use social networking. About the only thing that can be agreed upon by the many different views is when you have them taking your product wholesale or they are aggressively making money (not necessarily profit but enough) of of your copyrights or trademarks (or both) and may want to stop that and those who enable it to happen.

As one author put it there is an ocean of free legal stuff out there, there is no advantage for me to do the same. Some fans (and newer authors) are so focused on a "market building" that they give too much or everything away and devalue the works or themselves. If the work is not worth buying it has no value and has no meaning. To paraphrase Tracy Hickman.

And from the other side of the legal advice "Don't get sued."

Example Gamesworkshop sending Cease and Desist letters to Every fan site that has their product on it. http://www.chillingeffects.org/copyright/notice.cgi?NoticeID=30508

So at least for one example it called always ask them permission. For everything as if you don't they will threaten (than probably will) sue you.

But we do have some fair use laws that protect certain kinds of infringements but exactly how much is not defined. So thus if you start to think you have gone to far (and in GW's case one photo is to far) than you probably have. Fair Use FAQs: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-fairuse.html
http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8