• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki Considers Porco Rosso Film Sequel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:

Wow. Just how much money does it take to make a Ghibli film and just how much money do they need to make off of them? I was kind of under the impression that Ghibli films alway did well. Greed is a scary thing.

Ponyo's production budget was 3.4 billion yen, though that doesn't include marketing costs. Probably close to 50 million dollars if you include that. Your comment on greed makes little sense. If they were absolutely rolling in dough, surely they wouldn't consider down-sizing and stopping movie production. That would mean less money for the greedy Ghibli people.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Raz: But it's still at least a spin-off. Anyway, if no one questions the Pixar guys doing sequels, then Miyazaki should be fine, too. My only gripe is that, given the problems with the anime industry, shutting down the place for non-management work is the last thing which is good for the country. They should at least start up an anime school or something before they get out.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I saw this reported elsewhere earlier as "Miyazaki is definitely doing a Porco Rosso sequel next", so kudos to ANN for getting the facts right.

I've never seen Porco Rosso and know it only as "that Miyazaki film no one ever seems to talk about", so I can't say whether a sequel is a good idea or not.

Quote:
Had The Borrowers not been a success, Suzuki was considering downsizing Ghibli to just five staff members. This smaller hypothetical Ghibli would not make any more films, and just handle the copyrights for the studio's existing works.

Yikes. Feels like we dodged a bullet there.
partially

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
As Kimiko touched on, I would say that them closing has very little to do with money/greed. They have said in the past that they are having trouble finding a new competent director to take over from Miyazaki. One of the reasons he never retired despite saying he would for quite a while. If Borrowers had done badly I would say their reason for closing shop was that noone could replace the man. Whereas since it hasn't, they obviously have candidates.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
pajmo9 wrote:

Wow. Just how much money does it take to make a Ghibli film and just how much money do they need to make off of them? I was kind of under the impression that Ghibli films alway did well. Greed is a scary thing.

Ponyo's production budget was 3.4 billion yen, though that doesn't include marketing costs. Probably close to 50 million dollars if you include that. Your comment on greed makes little sense. If they were absolutely rolling in dough, surely they wouldn't consider down-sizing and stopping movie production. That would mean less money for the greedy Ghibli people.

As far as I know Ghibli moves always make there money back and then some. The comment about them not making any more films if this one movie didn't do well kind of threw me for a loop. It sounded like they just weren't making enough money off of there films.

I didn't acualy mean that I thought they were just being greedy, but rather I was hoping that that was not the case.

Kimiko_0 wrote:
My impression was that it isn't about Ghibli being in financial trouble, but about keeping up the quality of movies they make when the company's leaders retire. Miyazaki is 69 now, Takahata is 75, and Suzuki is 62. They may make a few movies yet, but they can't just leave the company and expect the animators to be able to direct and produce as well. That kind of work needs someone with a lot of experience. Experience which they will have to gain mostly while working at Ghibli, or else the studio's signature style will change radically.

This explanation of why they would down size and stop making new films makes a lot more since to me then them just wanting more money.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
My impression was that it isn't about Ghibli being in financial trouble, but about keeping up the quality of movies they make when the company's leaders retire. Miyazaki is 69 now, Takahata is 75, and Suzuki is 62. They may make a few movies yet, but they can't just leave the company and expect the animators to be able to direct and produce as well. That kind of work needs someone with a lot of experience. Experience which they will have to gain mostly while working at Ghibli, or else the studio's signature style will change radically.

Nod. That's exactly what I think is going on here. Miyazaki doesn't want there to be anymore Ghibli movies if he can't find successor directors who are "good enough."

So if they don't find directors that can make good movies that are also commercial successes, they'll "quit while they are ahead."

-t
Pelianth
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
Myself, I've always kind of wanted to see what happens to Kiki when she grows up.

Kiki was actually loosely based off the first of a series of children's novels. Only the first was ever translated though.
E-Master

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Porco Rosso is one of my all time favorite anime films. And I wouldn't mind a sequal being made if it has the same charm as the first one did.

I hope to see a couple of the remaining Ghibli films I haven't seen before this comes out. Cause this was the anime company that got me into Anime more.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
What ever happened to their "Apprenticeships"? Must be not panning out like they thought, and yet another slap for poor Goro. Rolling Eyes Now the one movie I'd pay good money to see would be a sequel of Nausicaa, or even a re-release updated to include the rest of the manga. No mention of Princess Mononoke ?Wink
francescon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:04 am Reply with quote
Porco Rosso in the spanish civil war Question With a bomber Question I hope he will be fighting nazis , not with them. I can not see how this can work. The entire movie would be like the flash back scene from the original Porco Rosso -- the one that showed Porco loosing his humanity.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:27 am Reply with quote
francescon wrote:
Porco Rosso in the spanish civil war Question With a bomber Question I hope he will be fighting nazis , not with them. I can not see how this can work. The entire movie would be like the flash back scene from the original Porco Rosso -- the one that showed Porco loosing his humanity.
They had bombers during WW1 so whats the problem. also there wasn't any "democracy" in Spain at that time, it was a monarchy that leaned toward Franco's facists, fighting the communists for obvious reasons. Knowing Miyazaki, kudos for guessing who he'll have Porco fighting for. Wink
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:32 am Reply with quote
I think Ghibli could try to find the right talent by making more short films or maybe tv specials. I think they could consider Yoshiyuki Momose who has already directed some music videos and Ghibli shorts.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:31 am Reply with quote
The problem isn't only finding the right talent. Considering that Ghibli is one of the larger anime studios, I think they already have a good selection of candidates. The problem is getting them experienced enough that they can take over in making the big budget, feature length, high quality movies that keep the studio going. Short films are nice for experiments in a different style, or to gain smaller scale experience, but that's not the same as leading a huge team over two years. Compromising their style would be almost the same as letting their artists go to form a different studio, hence Suzuki's remark about downsizing.
francescon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
francescon wrote:
They had bombers during WW1 so whats the problem. also there wasn't any "democracy" in Spain at that time, it was a monarchy that leaned toward Franco's facists, fighting the communists for obvious reasons. Knowing Miyazaki, kudos for guessing who he'll have Porco fighting for. Wink

The original Porco movie was not set in WW1 . It was set after WW1 in a sligthtly fantastic verison of northern Italy. Putting Porco on the loosing side (the communist, anti -nazi ,democraticaly elected side) of the spanish civil war, a war that in many ways served as practice for WW2, seems to me a formula for a very miserable movie. The bombing of Gurinica comes to mind.
Maby Miyazaki can pull it off, after all he has written a comic about the adventures of a German Tiger Tank in WW2 that is not misarable.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:23 am Reply with quote
Other than LordRobin's excellent spoiler-ed points in the first post, I don't mind the idea of a sequel. Just please don't make it about Iraq this time. I like Howl's Moving Castle, but temporary anger is not a valid reason for shoehorning messages into incompatible films.

tempest wrote:
Nod. That's exactly what I think is going on here. Miyazaki doesn't want there to be anymore Ghibli movies if he can't find successor directors who are "good enough."

So if they don't find directors that can make good movies that are also commercial successes, they'll "quit while they are ahead."

If Miyizaki had been grooming his son for the position over the last 40 years, as opposed to shunning him, I'd bet he would have been ready for it by now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3