• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Galaxy Quest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:28 am Reply with quote
It's nice to see Ghost Hound get a favorable review. It got torn up on some other anime sites. Despite its flaws, the series captivated me. I loved, loved, loved the setting, the mood, and the audio...hook your earphones up to a TV and let yourself sink into those layers of sound.

I think Skycrawlers is brilliant. Its strange, melancholy mood clings to me well after the show has ended.

Hopefully there is a market in the states for other "off-beat" DVD releases. (Like Tatami Galaxy).
Kohiki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I can't take seriously the opinion of someone who hates Groundhog's Day.
Meh.
zatheus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:27 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Also sometimes my taste (in film and music but not anime) can be hard to predict because of an ex-boyfriend factor. One or more of my exboyfriends LOVED Groundhog Day, which I only found mildly annoying at first. Their continual praise for the film drove me to hate it. And not just exboyfriends, but other guy friends as well.

The ex factor can be a big deciding factor in what you might end up disliking or completely avoiding. Depending on how it ended of course. My ex loved Lain and I watched it with her. I have a cat at my parents house named Lain actually. Other then the fact that I could never really get into Lain, it is the one anime no matter what people say, I just like to stay away from. Also if it started with an ex, other people saying how good something is tends to move you from your starting position of eh to hate. I was wondering how you hated Groundhog Day myself but I completely understand where you are coming from now.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I read Fleep. Fleep is good.

I can also recommend Meanwhile, an idiosyncratic CYOA that cranks the Timey Wimey Ball up to its absolute maximum. Good times. :3
triangle_man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:29 am Reply with quote
Tatami sounds very cool, especially with the Zetsubou connection. Must check it out.

On another note:

Quote:

What is this supposed to be, and why can't I look away?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote
triangle_man wrote:

Quote:

What is this supposed to be, and why can't I look away?
That's funny. He must not be old enough to drink alcohol. Laughing
triangle_man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
That's funny. He must not be old enough to drink alcohol. Laughing

Not so, sir. I just find it utterly ridiculous.
gwern

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Three episodes tie together one longer story, which breaks up the club-a-week structure. The second to last episode is awesome in a surreal way, and a definite break from the Groundhog Day/Higurashi routine. It reminded me of the Jason Shiga² comic Fleep, which I'm sure almost no one has read (but everyone should).

While watching ep 10, I thought to myself, 'I feel like I've read this before - a protagonist trapped in a series of rooms deducing things', but I couldn't remember what it was. But it was Fleep! Good catch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3