• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: New Super Mario Bros. U

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
williamflipper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Dave for the Gameplay in-depth review. I bought it with Nintendo Land. I totally love to play mario with friends and kill each other jumps or use them as a human stool. It's a super awesome trolls party game.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure the game is good, but I'm not sure how a 2D Mario platformer is really supposed to sell people on a new system as a launch title. You're supposed to have really good graphical games that show off what the hardware can do, not something that looks like a handheld title..
daveriley

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
In my heart of hearts I hope people aren't -still- buying new games on their graphical merits. We've long surpassed the points where just about any game can hit an average/above-average graphics target.

That being said, Mario U has its share of graphical gewgaws: there's lightning effects in lava levels, there's fluffy, gauzy clouds you can jump through. Calling it a handheld title is not accurate.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:35 am Reply with quote
Personally, I think Nintendo were risking a lot by launching New Super Mario Bros. U so soon after New Super Mario Bros. 2. Personally, I would have preferred if they had made a 3D Mario game (like 64, Sunshine or Galaxy) for the Wii U launch.

The NSMB games are getting too boring now. Thank goodness that Nintendo have only promised one per console.
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
It was actually the backgrounds of this game that sold me on it. They just look so good. Also, I am a sucker for a even pretty okay 2-D mario game so they had me at that. I do agree that the "New" in "New super Mario Bros U" is kinda played out at this point. I think that worked for like one or two games but where will be be in like 5 years when we are on "New Super Mario Bros (something)". Atleast the are not doing it like "New Super Mario Bros 3,4,5,6, etc" cause it would be a joke in its self at that point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1