• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Negima/Love Hina Creator Observes Moe Boom's Reported End

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Of course, if yuri is in and amongst the next big thing, there better be something else alongside it, since it is well established that yuri anime runs in a two-year upswing / downswing, up in odd numbered years, down in even numbered years.

What about 2006? That's when Strawberry Panic, Simoun, and Kashimashi premiered. Granted that could have been an outlier.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Akamatsu is commenting on the Databank report which said that anime studio revenues were down for the second year in a row. In other words, his humble opinion only.

He notes in the time of the decline the male audience anime has appealed to has somewhat dried up while females appear to have expanded. I find this interesting since, unlike in the US where printing in Japanese format brought more titles over & gals jumped on titles written with the female audience in mind vs the heroes prevelent in US titles. Japan has always had more titles aimed at gals so maybe it's the gals are doing better with the recession or it's become more culturally acceptable to be a manga/anime fan. (Otaku is less insulting a concept than it once was?)

He notes gals & guys equally are attracted to male lead titles which have declined as the studios have churned out moe for what they see as their core audience, but that audience has dried up & the new audience apparently isn't as taken with moe.

I take male leads as also applying to such shonen titles as Bleach or One Piece which also represents a step away from the moe-specific titles. Personally I like harem titles (not just the stuff aimed at gals like Angelique) because there's the matchmaker element (choose the gal you think he belongs with) and in the pre-moe day-humor. Love Hina was so damned funny which I really haven't gotten the few times I've tried to read Negima (but the 10 yr old male lead is just squishy for me.) I asked some people & also read what I could before buying Toradora set 1 & went with it on a "why not try it-To-Love-Ru was funny" & I really don't think I want the second set. It's interesting, but it's not what I want out of harem. (Japanese men are masochists, aren't they? I hate gals like Taiga & the male lead was so flat, I never bothered to learn his name. The only light came from the 2 supporting friends & that wasn't enough). Don't regret the purchase because the book is nice & the title is no worse than others, but it's not as much as it could be (come on. Support cast can be fun. Look at To-Love-Ru & Mahoromatic)
I can see perfectly well why yuri, which in Japan as I understand has a larger male audience would not have filled the gap. Yes, there are gals who may want to see it, but most teen gals want to see hot guys. Some may enjoy yuri, but overall, they want to see guys. Josei also may allow for some yuri, but they also want to see more adult romances.
So basically it seems the audience has shifted on the studios & they were totally unprepared.
Most anime films seem aimed at a general, even family audience vs the pretty specific audience the late-nite stuff was geared at.

So basically it means the studios need to re-examine their course. If otaku can no longer support them in the style that they have grown accustomed, the studios may need to look at a more general audience--titles everyone may want to buy vs the hardcore otaku.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Of course, if yuri is in and amongst the next big thing, there better be something else alongside it, since it is well established that yuri anime runs in a two-year upswing / downswing, up in odd numbered years, down in even numbered years.

What about 2006? That's when Strawberry Panic, Simoun, and Kashimashi premiered. Granted that could have been an outlier.

Given the source of the observation, I'd not be surprised if Kashimashi would count as a downtick observation.
Shiro_Shishi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Animate the manga version of Negima.

Everyone shall love it and a NEW REIGN OF ANIME SHALL BE BORN!!!

...at least I would like the anime Very Happy
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:12 am Reply with quote
Shiro_Shishi wrote:
Animate the manga version of Negima.

Everyone shall love it and a NEW REIGN OF ANIME SHALL BE BORN!!!

...at least I would like the anime Very Happy

They already do it...sorta.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4