• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Asobi ni Ikuyo: Bombshells from the Sky ep 1-6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toyNN

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:46 am Reply with quote
Key - excellent review and I find it thoroughly enjoyable. I can't match others comments but for simple me I appreciate things like, the show didn't have an OP for not only the first eps but the second eps too. And we got first get the OP as the end animation. I think I'm in for a good anime when they do that perhaps simple detail since the OP always is full of spoliers.

They totally won me over when the 3rd eps opened with the Star Trek "shoutout" - too funny. And with the ones that followed I can't wait for what 60's/70's show they pay homage to next (eps 7 spoiler[Bewitched]) Magnum PI, Giligan's Island, My Favorite Martian, I Dream of Genie (Elis)? I'd probably die of laughter if they did a Miami Vice with Crockett and Tubbs Assistaroids Cool Shocked even if that's an 80's show.

For me these and any number of other details seems to say those involved with making Asobi ni Ikuyo are really trying to make a good show, make it different, and not just cranking out the fan-service to sell DVDs. I think they have succeeded.
billborden

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
OK, this almost feels new: an argument breaking out because someone an ANN rated a fanservice show too high Shocked I really need to come back to these forums more often.

I'm actually surprised that I am agreeing with Theron, this is a very good show. Yes, you can watch it just for the fanservice, and there were people watching "Voyager" just to see a Borg in a catsuit too. If you pay attention, once you cease to be mesmerized by the jiggle, there really is meat to this show. I was sold in the first episode when Eris points out that they were surprised at their similarities to humans as well--"we thought it was some kind of joke"
Caiobrz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:44 am Reply with quote
I agree with billborden, it's getting annoying how some people with lots of prejudice cannot get past the imagery and form (visual fan-servicing) to the juicy contents.

Anime is a form of entertainment, and unless it seriously yells "this is a thought-provoking serious title", then it means it's to be FUN. And Asobi ni Ikuyo is FUN to watch - that, on itself, makes me agree with the "A" rating, which followed by the fact that this still tied to some genre clichés we would love to see gone, make the "small setbacks" to downgrade from "A" to "A-"

If this was meant to be serious and thought-provoking, I wouldn't agree with an "A", but people who come here thinking "it's a harem anime, it CAN'T be good" are just trying to force their views on the genre FANS. Not your thing? move on, you won't like it REGARDLESS if this is a "A-" or "C+" Harem anime will you?

I can't stand mainstream dumb titles, so I will pass even if you tell me the new Naruto mambo-jumbo is A+, or that new 120+ anime series actually deserves a A- ... sure, they are PERFECT, so by being PERFECTLY NOT MY TYPE, I will pass. Still, would not argue on the A grade right?

Hammering it down: Harem/fanservice NOT YOUR THING? so stay away from Harem/fanservice rated HIGH ... perhaps one that gets a C is more watchable for people like that, since if it fails even on that, might be because it excels in other aspects.

HOTD De'javu all over the place
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote
Just wanted to point out that I never once argued (and I think I'm the only one in here who has made a complaint) that the overall score was an A. That's fine. My argument was that the story was an A-. That puts it in shows that are actually really well written like Monster, NTHT, Cross Game, etc. And that's honestly what I was confused about, because as much as I love Mahoromatic (which is pretty much the only show that has fanservice-for-the-sake-of-fanservice which I enjoyed, even its story wasn't anything more than a "B". So all I was asking was how the story in this show deserved an A-. And Key made what he thought was a valid argument in his defense, and so now the "argument" is over.
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
I dunno about all the bs-but I'm finding this show to be a very pleasent viewing experiance-it just simply clicks with my sensibilities.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3