• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Satoshi Kon, His Wife, Madhouse Studio Write About His Passing

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZenErik

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:15 am Reply with quote
Sad Satoshi Kon, you are missed and will be remembered for a long time.

Last edited by ZenErik on Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:16 am Reply with quote
Very sad news. 46 is so young (although it may not seem so to some of you whipper-snappers). Considering how much more he could have created had he had a full lifespan, it is no exaggeration to say his passing is an inestimable loss to anybody who loves anime.
H0shi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:28 am Reply with quote
R.I.P Satoshi Kon...
I really love his works so much!

And as for a tribute, we'll be showing one of his movies during our University Week this September - Tokyo Godfathers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:41 am Reply with quote
Rest in peace. :(
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:47 am Reply with quote
Heh, I remember when he broke out with Magnetic Rose. R.I.P. You did good man.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:02 am Reply with quote
toru wrote:
Satoshi Kon's official website uploaded his last message to everyone.
Title "Goodbye"
http://gigazine.jp/img/2010/08/25/satoshi_kon_passed_away/kon_blog_last.png

I've managed to catch a text copy of that. I imagine the original page is being hammered pretty hard right now.

Last edited by Dan42 on Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
orionism1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:03 am Reply with quote
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl wrote:
Reading these two statements just turned my shock into tears. I'm trying not to break down sobbing. Certain creative individuals produce works that can touch you deeply and form connections with your mind and heart. Kon was one of those creative individuals for me. I felt like I got to know a part of him and how he responded to the world he lived in. Millennium Actress is one of my most favorite movies ever. It is one of the most emotionally challenging and moving works that I've ever experienced. I still remember watching it on the little art house cinema screen in my town. Right now I can hear the music as Chiyoko trudges through the snow to find her painter, and I can see her also in her spaceship, ready to continue pursuing that which made life so worthwhile to her. I hope in some way that Kon is able to continue his own creative pursuit.

"Every single thing
Changes and is changing
Always in this world.
Yet with the same light
The moon goes on shining."

--Priest Saigyo

Keep on running through dreams and time, Mr. Kon.

Your quote just made tears poor down my cheek which had been eluding me all day. Thank you. I found out about Mr. Kon's passing earlier today and it is still something that I can't shake. I also second the hope that his last words are translated soon. Satoshi Kon's work was something that came to help define what extraordinary, even masterful animation looks like. I believe his Millennium Actress achievement will go down as one of the greatest works of Animation of all time. It's emotional understanding of the human conditioned touched my soul and I am deeply in debt to Mr. Kon for having allowed me to share his amazing vision and art. I read a statement by a friend earlier that moved me and would like to share it here too.

"RIP Kon Sensei~ You were so loved & your art will live forever in the depths of the collective psyche you created. " Ginger.

Rest in Peace Satoshi Kon: You Will Be Remembered.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:44 am Reply with quote
So upsetting. He will be missed, for sure
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:08 am Reply with quote
The rest of his last message is being translated on some other sites at the moment (it's pretty long), and judging from what I'm reading there's sure to be tears by the time I reach the end. I wish he could've tried to take medication to be able to see his final film reach theaters, but it was his decision on part of what he wanted to do about the cancer.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:18 am Reply with quote
Wow. I don't even know what to say right now. Shocked. Saddened.

It's going to be a long day. And I'll probably be a soppy mess for most of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:20 am Reply with quote
And now I'm crying again... I cam home after a 9-hour work day to find yesterday's news posting and it just floored me for the evening. This still doesn't seem real.

Scott Pilgrim, you ca wait another week. This weekend I am doing the only tribute I can give to such a remarkable talent: I am digging up every single one of his works that I know is available either in my collection or around town and watching them. And I will have a box of tissues at hand.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:24 am Reply with quote
To be honest, I'm still pretty devastated as well; I can't go to sleep right now as I'm still waiting on someone to translate his final blog post.
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
With feelings of gratitude for all that is good in this world, I put down my pen.

Well, I'll be leaving now.

Satoshi Kon

Is there a more manly, coolest and poetically way to say goodbye to this valley of tears, I don't know it.

Kon Satoshi sensei, doumo osewaninarimashita.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
The rest of his last message is being translated on some other sites at the moment ... I wish he could've tried to take medication to be able to see his final film reach theaters, but it was his decision on part of what he wanted to do about the cancer.

I haven't seen Kon's fully translated message yet. My wife has been an RN on the 'cancer floor' of her hospital for more than 10 years, and is one of the relatively rare nurses trained and certified in administering chemotherapy. By the time a person discovers they have pancreatic cancer it usually is tragically deadly in less than 6 months, often sooner -- even with chemotherapy or other aggressive treatments -- and in the case of cancer, of course, the treatments can make a person feel much, much sicker. Some nurses call it "the silent killer" because there are often no real symptoms until it has already metastasized and spread through the body. So by the time a patient notices there is something wrong, it can become very painful very fast and is usually too late for any effective treatment, other than pain management.

We truly hope Satoshi Kon's doctors were able to keep his suffering to a minimum. Our hearts go out to him, his family, his colleagues and friends, and all his fans.

Satoshi Kon is the biggest reason why I'm an anime fan and collector today. I saw Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Princess Mononoke in the 90s, but was still just a casual fan, not interested in discovering more but willing to watch whatever happened to fall into my lap. I wasn't hooked into becoming an anime collector until three years ago when I was completely blown away by Millenium Actress, and one other film. (Now I have over 100 dvds, and just went to my first convention in florida where I happily picked up the last "Paranoia Agent" messenger bag in the dealer's room.) I'm still looking forward to seeing Kon's next film with my daughter.

(In a tangent -- does anyone know about the 2-and-a-half minute video clip that comes with the amazon.com MP3 download of the Paprika soundtrack? Is it just clips from the movie, or something else? There are no reviews on Amazon itself, and I didn't see anything in the encylopedia.)

Last edited by gartholamundi on Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:19 am; edited 3 times in total
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quote
That final message deserves a round of applause itself... Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11