• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: NHK Radio Show Lists Top 10 Anime Heroine Finalists

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
Pretty good list. My vote will go for Fate.
Durga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
For a list about the best anime heroines in the last 50 years, it seems awfully modern. Nothing older than the 90s, most of the characters are from this century, but that's kind of expected with a modern fanbase. Still, would have been nice to see some characters from the 80's and before. I'd totally have voted for Fujiko Mine.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
I'm behind Homura all the way. spoiler[Unlike Madoka, she sacrificed an immeasurable amount and is easy to symphathise with and root for.]
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
I'm more concerned with, hmm....what's the word I'm looking for, I guess I'll go with how non-progressive these heroines are. What about the heroines in shows like Revolutionary Girl Utena, Princess Tutu, Princess Nine, Shakugan no Shana (even though I kind of can't stand that series), etc. ect. Was the only criterion that the girls had to be super cute and moe, 'cause that's kind of what this list is. Which I guess is cool if that's what the colletive is into, but I dunno if I was voting I would've went for the go get 'em type of heroine, one you could really root for. And sure some of them on the list are that way, I guess I was expecting more of them to be that way. But there's not really a point in criticizing since this is far from a definitive list.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
Some how Yui dosnt fit in some how
charizardpal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:18 am Reply with quote
Sakura doesn't fit either. She just kinda floats through the story. Heck few of these act very heroic...
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
Heroine can also mean a main character of an anime.
flawed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote
Top lists that aren't actually based on statistical data [ie top ten heroine's screen time] are completely opinionated/biased so wouldn't put much stock into this. Most of these in the next top ten list won't even be there I bet.

I'm not hating on the choices or the animes, I've seen many of them and enjoy the respective series, merely trying to choose the "best" [btw what does that mean] out of them.

Another thing with anime is how do you deal with characters like Ranma 1/2 where the story's basis has the character being both a hero/heroine.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Some how Yui dosnt fit in some how
charizardpal wrote:
Sakura doesn't fit either. She just kinda floats through the story. Heck few of these act very heroic...

I disagree with both of you. If anyone here doesn't fit, it's Kuchiki Rukia, as the rest of the list is a pretty solid MAI WAIFU selection. Even Haruhi Suzumiya and Misaka Mikoto fit that by being super tsundere. (To be fair, I have never had any interest in seeing Idolm@ster, so I only asume Haruka fits the demure flower mold on account of knowing it's based on a game where you act as a manager who grooms pop idols).
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
(To be fair, I have never had any interest in seeing Idolm@ster, so I only asume Haruka fits the demure flower mold on account of knowing it's based on a game where you act as a manager who grooms pop idols).

I believe its similar to the Newtype Anime Awards where Haruka won best character of the year, she's just used as a proxy for Idolmaster. There are 13 different girls, so its likely that 2ch or somewhere like that just decided to pool all of their votes for the different Idolmaster girls into Haruka, since she's the "Poster Girl" of the franchise. Its better than not having any of them show up since all their votes will be split.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:18 am Reply with quote
Would've liked to see Asuka over Rei to be honest. List is rather unimpressive when you consider that Rukia made it along with two from the Madoka cast (one is more than enough to represent). The fact that there is an under-representation of pre-2005 series (I count 3) is also somewhat a bother.

I should also note that all heroines listed have been represented in an anime TV/movie/OVA within the last year or two except Sakura (CLAMP cameos/recycling don't count). Considering it's based off a 50 year list this is disappointing.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:53 am Reply with quote
misaka and rukia for me hands down since well... they actually know how to fight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:33 am Reply with quote
I'd love to see a poll based on the opinions of people within the industry, particularly writers and directors. Every fan-based list I've seen includes the usual cast of moe girls and is heavily biased toward the most recent shows.

As always, any list of heroines that doesn't include Balsa from Moribito fails my "inter-ocular trauma test." Nina Fortner from Monster and Shurrei from Saiunkoku Monogatari invariably get overlooked as well.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:50 am Reply with quote
Durga wrote:
For a list about the best anime heroines in the last 50 years, it seems awfully modern. Nothing older than the 90s, most of the characters are from this century, but that's kind of expected with a modern fanbase. Still, would have been nice to see some characters from the 80's and before. I'd totally have voted for Fujiko Mine.

Agreed. Seems like this kind of recency bias always happens with these Japanese polls. And we always complain about it. And we're right to.

Much as I like Homura and Madoka, I'd rather see Nadia, Nausicäa, Sheeta, San, Kiki, Misa, etc. among the finalists.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:54 am Reply with quote
Also, Haruhi as a "heroine"? Hmm. She's not the really the protagonist, since we see everything through Kyon's eyes. And what drives the plot is what characters do in reaction to Haruhi's actions and the nature of what she is. She's quite arguably the unwitting antagonist of the show.

So to follow up my previous Old Character Dump: if you guys get to nominate Haruhi, dammit, I'm nominating Maetel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4