• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Man Who Burned Down Home Over Gundam Models Gets 4 Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Jozoiscute wrote:
It's unhealthy to be this attached to replaceable inanimate objects... I could see someone getting more upset about something irreplaceable...

Chances are, whatever Gundam models he had were not replaceable. Those things tend to be very collectable, depending on what model and how old it is. And then there's the act of putting them together and painting it, or whatever additions you may make. They can end up being quite the labor of love when you're finished with them. Heck, Sgt. Frog is obsessed with the damn things, though I'm sure that's a parody of real life. Not condoning what he did, but I'd be willing to put money down on these being "irreplaceable" inanimate objects.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Wow, talk about allegiance to brand name recognition. I would think the ad folks at Madison Avenue would like to tap into the origins of his psyche. With a 4 year time span to pause and reflect on his reasoning (or examination of lack thereof) possibly he can capitalize this life saga into a promising premise for an action anime novel or series.

I'm unfamiliar with Japanese practices and/or concepts of reforming an institutionalized individual. Here in the good ole US of A he would be truly "up a creek" re rehabilitation. Between the inmates and their prison life administrators I was never certain which side of the cell the greater number of manic-depressives or sociopaths existed.
yblees

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
gartholamundi wrote:
you can click the link provided and read the article from last year -- his mom threw the models out.

and then apparently she was in the house when he tried to burn it all down.

though the report indicates he doused himself in gasoline, not her. and she got out without harm, too.

it's all just sad.

So... He doused himself in gasonline, piled plastic toys around himself, and tried to burn himself to death...
- managed to burn down the entire house, and STILL escaped unscathed enough to stand trial ??!! Shocked

That's got to be a miracle in itself.
SOMEBODY is Really looking out for this fool!
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Haha I picture him standing in the middle of his room shouting "Who the heck took my Gundam Mk-II model! That's it! Time to burn some stuff down!"

Joking aside though, this is just shocking. You know this is the kind of thing that makes people think that Otaku are just crazy shut ins. I could never imagine myself trying to set myself on fire over gundam... maybe Macross (ok last joke of the post). Does Japan not have an insanity plea or something?

tempest: I'm wondering the exact same thing. It seems like it would have quite a crazy story behind it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I wonder who took the models away? His wife, his mother, a loan shark...

Anyways, I agree that he belongs in a psychiatric ward, not a prison.
Are loan sharks still going strong in Japan?
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this is the part where folks need to realize that anime as a hobby or interest is good. Anime as a lifestyle... probably not so much.
sonickid101

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
aw man that sucks for him, to loose such a irriplacible part! and goin to jail has to suck too, well maybe he can build models in there, then its like who cares AM I RIGHT!
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I forgot about this one but I would burn down my place if some one got rid of my gundams
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I love my Gundam models just as much as the next guy.

Unless of cource the next guy is 30 year old Yoshifumi Takabe.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least when he gets out he can get a job at the Japanese Agriculture Ministry.

(Nobody will get that call back.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
The cartoon bubble in my head has this guy standing on the roof of the burning house yelling, "Made it Mom! Top of the world!".
~nanashi~

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Has wrong has this may sound, I couldn't help but get a good laugh. Overreacting doesn't do justice to this mans (or man-boy) actions.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Well, at least when he gets out he can get a job at the Japanese Agriculture Ministry.

(Nobody will get that call back.)

So long as he refrains from posting about Gundam on Wikipedia he ought to fit right in there.

tempest wrote:
I wonder who took the models away? His wife, his mother, a loan shark...

Anyways, I agree that he belongs in a psychiatric ward, not a prison.

It was his mom. Which probably means that either she got overzealous when cleaning, or she didn't like that her grown son was still playing with toys.
mimosa_usagi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:41 pm Reply with quote
sorry to bring everyone down but this guy belongs in a psyc ward not jail. he is suicidal, has unnatural attachment to objects, I mean I work in a nursing home/rehabilitation center and we have a floor just for patients with mental problems. I am not claming to be an expert but this story makes me sad. I mean everyone can agree this guy is clearly crazy. he needs good counseling not jail. but I am not clear on how the Japanese view psychiatrist and mental hospitals.

Quote:
Are loan sharks still going strong in Japan?

We still have them in New York so why not....

Quote:
"Who the heck took my Gundam Mk-II model! That's it! Time to burn some stuff down!"

This made me lol. I think we all have days like this.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
mimosa_usagi wrote:
I am not claming to be an expert but this story makes me sad. I mean everyone can agree this guy is clearly crazy. he needs good counseling not jail. but I am not clear on how the Japanese view psychiatrist and mental hospitals.

I heard this as a panel and forgot to ask for the source for this, so take this with a grain of salt...but I heard that apparently there's more sex therapists in Japan than therapists that handle things like mental illnesses. If I remember right, it's a cultural thing--something about it being shameful to get someone other than the family involved? That seems about right with what I've seen in anime and manga, too. For example, in Welcome to the NHK! the characters pretty much have to resort to being each other's therapists, instead of seeking professional help. And the original novel is written by someone that has similar problems to the main characterl, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a ring of truth to that. (I would love to find a good source for that, though...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3