• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ghibli Removes Goods from PR Facility of Nuclear Plant

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Is this to be taken only as a symbolic protest of environmental damage in general, or as a statement that the company's position is that producing the equivalent amount of energy with fossil fuels would be preferable, all factors considered?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Is this to be taken only as a symbolic protest of environmental damage in general, or as a statement that the company's position is that producing the equivalent amount of energy with fossil fuels would be preferable, all factors considered?

I'm not sure how effective it is as an environmental protest since they were willing to sell the products there for 5 years and didn't remove them until people outside of Ghibli complained about it.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this happened because someone behind the scenes threatened to sue Ghibli if they didn't remove the goods?

I am sure it's happened before.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I wonder if this happened because someone behind the scenes threatened to sue Ghibli if they didn't remove the goods?

I am sure it's happened before.

But what would they claim? Somebody would have to claim that they were somehow harmed by Ghibli products being sold at that location. And it doesn't seem to be a problem between Ghibli and the seller since they were able sell Ghibli goods there for five years.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote
Eh? Last I checked, nuclear power generation is completely consistent with any serious environment-friendly energy policy.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
Nuclear power plants typically have to get rid of a fair bit of hot water which they used to cool the plant, so they can be disruptive to aquatic enviroments nearby, but overall, but other than that, I believe that they're pretty environmentally friendly. They're not pumping smoke into the air from burning oil or coal or doing anything else to damage the air, and they don't dump toxic chemicals or anything like that. Really, I think that people are just too afraid of nuclear power because they associate nuclear with nuclear weapons. If they weren't so anti-nuclear, we'd have more funding towards nuclear fusion and might have actually achieved it by now (certainly we'd achieve it sooner than we're going to), and nuclear fusion is way better than nuclear fission. But oh well. It seems silly to mean that anyone would complain about a store next to a nuclear power plant, but since when are people totally rational about everything.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:09 am Reply with quote
This is bizarre, because Nuclear power is cleaner then you think (The stereotype of drums of toxic waste that there is no place to put safely is largely an outdated myth)
nicky_008

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:25 am Reply with quote
I wonder that the complaining voices have more power than the reasonable voices for this case.

Ghibli prefer save its reputation more than its money.
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:56 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
This is bizarre, because Nuclear power is cleaner then you think (The stereotype of drums of toxic waste that there is no place to put safely is largely an outdated myth)

Neithertheless, the issue of radioactive waste and where to put it will become a problem in the future. It may take decades or even centuries, but given that it takes millenia for the most radioactive waste to decay and become 'safe', it will become a problem further down the line and I am all for acting now rather than letting future generations deal with it. They'll have their hands full with climate change as it is.

Frankly, I don't think there's any excuse for having nuclear power when lining just 6% of the Sahara desert with solar panels could power Europe indefinitely. Also, you cannot pretend that Chernobyl never happened - the possibility of nuclear meltdown and fallout will always be there.

As for Ghibli, they are right to do this. Nature-loving Ghibli and the PR facility of a nuclear plant make very strange bedfellows.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:39 am Reply with quote
Frazmataz wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

Neithertheless, the issue of radioactive waste and where to put it will become a problem in the future. It may take decades or even centuries, but given that it takes millenia for the most radioactive waste to decay and become 'safe', it will become a problem further down the line and I am all for acting now rather than letting future generations deal with it. They'll have their hands full with climate change as it is.

Frankly, I don't think there's any excuse for having nuclear power when lining just 6% of the Sahara desert with solar panels could power Europe indefinitely. Also, you cannot pretend that Chernobyl never happened - the possibility of nuclear meltdown and fallout will always be there.

What is important here is to stress that both nuclear fission and solar (wind, biomass and the like to a lesser extent) are critical components of a mid-term solution to climate change and impending energy shortages. The anti-nuclear lobby is today, frankly, driven by a largely outdated perception of safety of the technology and its environmental friendliness, waste water aside.

Generation III reactors generate less radioactive waste than ever before--never mind that III+ and IV will enable substantial re-use of waste material--and advances in safety have made references to Chernobyl and Three-mile Island inaccurate. Given that the infrastructure required for developing nuclear power is well-established, and that the technology is much more efficient than solar, scaring the public with fears of a meltdown in their neighborhood reactor that in all likelihood will never happen is irresponsible when the refusal to embrace widespread nuclear power could well result in unnecessary climate deterioration during the ramp-up of other renewables.

And just as the real-estate for solar is easily found in north Africa, central Australia, and pretty much any desertified area in the world, fission reactors could be built in a lot of those areas as well.

Bah... I think Ghibli is making a mistake. Just because it's radioactive doesn't mean it can't save us from climate change. Confused At least Japan already uses a lot of nuclear power.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:55 am Reply with quote
Frazmataz wrote:
Frankly, I don't think there's any excuse for having nuclear power when lining just 6% of the Sahara desert with solar panels could power Europe indefinitely.

May I ask how much you know about chemicals used in the manufacture of solar panels?

Frazmataz wrote:
Also, you cannot pretend that Chernobyl never happened - the possibility of nuclear meltdown and fallout will always be there.

Cigarettes kill far more people than meltdowns. People pay to "enjoy" the former.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:26 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Frazmataz wrote:
Frankly, I don't think there's any excuse for having nuclear power when lining just 6% of the Sahara desert with solar panels could power Europe indefinitely.

May I ask how much you know about chemicals used in the manufacture of solar panels?
The same amount that is used to make the computer you typed this on I would say. Are you implying that it's not safely and environmentally stored and treated?
Wink
Quote:
Frazmataz wrote:
Also, you cannot pretend that Chernobyl never happened - the possibility of nuclear meltdown and fallout will always be there.

Cigarettes kill far more people than meltdowns. People pay to "enjoy" the former.
A pack of twenties has never wiped out an entire city in one puff of smoke. If one takes a gieger counter up into the hills and mountains of the UK, one can still see the remains of Chernobyl buzzing away. Wink
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:28 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

I find myself vociferously opposed to tobacco-fueled electricity generation plants also.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:01 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
dormcat wrote:
The same amount that is used to make the computer you typed this on I would say. Are you implying that it's not safely and environmentally stored and treated?

I doubt if the dye area of all working computer chips today can cover 6% of Sahara desert. Furthermore, while radioactive waste-producing facilities e.g. power plants are closely monitored by both government agencies and environmentalist groups, non-radioactive waste from common chemical factories often sneak away unnoticed by media and general population.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:03 am Reply with quote
Hey let's not argue about energy policy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2