• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Manga Takes 1st Ever 4-Week Break

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sepherest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
Is the end finely coming

There's no way One Piece will end before 2020. They're not even in the New World (second half of their journey) yet.

Yeah. I remember Oda saying something around last year that One Piece is about 50-60% done and that it was probably going to run for about ten more years (if this was even official, anyway). Either way he's made a fantastic series, which makes me think of Hirohiko Araki, since they both have long-running and very popular manga that they've barely ever taken breaks from working on.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
Is the end finely coming

There's no way One Piece will end before 2020. They're not even in the New World (second half of their journey) yet.

It always amazes me how long some manga takes to finish. Berserk doesn't seem to be close to finished, despite going for 20 years already.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Is that correct? I seem to remember him being sick several years ago and taking a few weeks off, maybe around the time of Water 7. Don't know how long, though.

Anyway, so excited for what's to come after the break. Can't wait to see what they'll all look like.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I heard about this a few weeks ago. I told one of my best friends about it and he's hopping he won't go insane because of the break.

I'm fine with it (ironically I'm the bigger One Piece fan). Although I can't wait for the break to end.
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Berserk is just crazy but at least One Piece get publish in a orderly fashion. Its usually a 4 month break with Berserk in between chapters. I may be wrong here but hasn't the english version just about caught up now?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Jaymie wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
Is the end finely coming

It always amazes me how long some manga takes to finish. Berserk doesn't seem to be close to finished, despite going for 20 years already.

No no! What amazes me is reading through all 54 volumes released in English, looking back, and thinking "That's all?" It's really special when a long series like One Piece or Berserk can go on forever and not feel like it's overstaying its welcome.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
It amuses me how One Piece fans go crazy over 4 weeks though. Razz

Try being a Hunter x Hunter or D.Gray-man fan. The authors to those series have a habit of going on random hiatuses for months at a time. Especially HxH, which is on hiatus as we speak. At least D.Gray-man has been going at a steady pace for a year now.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I hope Oda-Sensei enjoys his 4 week break. Smile
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't particularly care about the break (since I'm an anime watcher), but as long as spoiler[all the Straw-Hats are back together] I don't mind where Oda goes next with the story.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
It amuses me how One Piece fans go crazy over 4 weeks though. Razz
I don't think anybody in this topic has gone crazy. I was half-expecting it, but they were thankfully understanding.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Man, Oda is some kind of machine, to spend a decade writing and drawing this series without a significant break.

If I recall right, I remember reading that one of the things he's known for among his fellow manga-ka is that he's always sleepy. It's not hard to see why.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, with all the work he has done with the series and how the current arc is going, I think a break is well deserved.

Seriously, it is not at all easy to draw manga each week and continue to surprise, invigorate and excite the readers. Oh sure, he could have made certain arc's longer and went the easy route without too much work.

But it wouldn't be as interesting of a series and there wouldn't be as many surprises. The reason I watch/read One Piece is because it's nothing that has been done before and author doesn't god mode the characters.

Nothing is worse than having a cast of characters constantly talking about powering up, but it can get quite old after a while. The only series that could pull that off is Dragon Ball Z and that is about it. But alas, that is a another story for another time. Maybe.

I can only imagine how tired the artist must be. Imagine having to write an intensely popular manga each week and making it really, really enjoyable and interesting in less than seven days give or take. In addition, imagine having to draw all the art, figure out what to write and what needs to be rewritten.

Not only that, but you also have to pay bills, sleep, eat and deal with all sorts of issues and have a ton of pressure and stress on you. Sure, you might have helpers and what not, but in the end, it's up to the author to make the series really great or not.

However, it doesn't stop there. Manga artists usually have to sit to draw manga and create dialog and eventually that will take it's toll on your body. I can't imagine how exhausted his arm's must be after several hours of ultra intensive drawing and re-drawing. But even if the author thinks that everything is fine, if the editor thinks something needs to be edited/re-drawn, he'll have to do that.

Sure writing manga may seem fun/easy, but to do it professionally, is anything but simple and easy. Any person off the street can pick up a pencil and draw, but it takes a self motivated person who has natural talent for drawing and endless amount of creativity and patience to actually create a high quality and well received work of art.

I see it all the time, in fact I knew people that wanted to do exceptionally challenging work (like creating manga and making it big like said artist) but unfortunately, most of them whom I personally know either gave up before really trying or gave up after realizing the amount of work it would take. Like I said, it's easy to draw, but it's not at easy to become as popular like Oda and or even Toriyama. It could take months, years or even decades before any artist's work of art (in this case manga) is noticed or wanted in high demand.

Considering Oda probably hasn't had a decent vacation in over a decade, maybe even more than that. He probably hasn't had a decent night's sleep in ages either. Sure, some fans may be angry that he is taking a break, but I bet almost none of the really hard core fans know what the man has been through in life. You might have a case if you worked as hard as him for as long as he has, but normally that isn't the case with most fans.

And yes, I know there will be people that will say you can always work harder and much longer for longer periods of time. And to be fair, that might be the case in certain jobs or situations. But there will come a point (and yes, it will happen sooner or later) when working so hard without much rest will slow you down, whetever you want it to or not.

I have a very good friend who for a very long time worked non stop and worked harder than most people I've meet in my life. In addition to his exceptionally challenging work, he also basically did more work than two people combined, without much help from anyone else. One day, after working very, very hard without much rest or time to relax, the second he sat down to rest, he severely wrecked his body. So badly, he couldn't move at all the entire day.

So in short, what I am saying is that there does come a point when you need to rest, even if you don't think you do. Because over working yourself can cause more problems than positive benefits. Rest is important, but too many people think that working hard without much break between is good, but it really isn't after a very long time. Working hard is good, but it really is a good idea to also rest as well.
steev-sama

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
What I am hoping for is that the anime takes a year or at least 6 months off, so that the anime can get some breathing room from the manga. I love One Piece, but since the Enies Lobby arc the anime has been stuffed with filler, the worst kind of filler too. At least Enies Lobby just packed the series with a ton of recap, but to pull what they are doing now, like having fight commentators and nobodies get lots of air time, is just making it painful to watch.

Also, the time skip is dumb.. well, too long. Way too much since they haven't even been traveling together for one year yet. If it was half as long I could understand. I think he chose that much time so he could do significant changes to the characters and story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:37 am Reply with quote
All I can say is a four week break is a good time to go back and marathon the series...597 chapters divided by 28 days comes to a little over two volumes a day. Who's with me?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
ODA SENSEI'S WIFE DEMANDS HIATUS.

(to rip off a 4chan meme of sorts)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4