• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Manga Takes 1st Ever 4-Week Break

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
It amuses me how One Piece fans go crazy over 4 weeks though. Razz .

LOL. Yeah. If you wait for the US releases, 4 weeks is short. Of course, personally, I'd hate to be reading it chapter by chapter like that anyway. You just don't get enough at once. I much prefer to read or watch stuff in much larger blocks.
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:35 am Reply with quote
I'm used to waiting since I'm a die hard FMA fan. (Not just waiting for the English volumes either since I used to read scans Anime catgrin + sweatdrop What? Don't judge me.) But since that ended, One Piece is my favorite still running manga and when I heard about the break I died a little on the inside.

But that's me being an idiot since this guy is freaking bad-ass. He deserves that 4 week break. I'm surprised he hadn't taken a break sooner. A decade of manga...seriously. Eiichiro Oda's manlier than Kamina and Chuck Norris combined! spoiler[Anime hyper I just read an interview between him and Akira Toriyama. He's such a fanboy that it makes him awesomer.]

So until then, I can't wait to see One Piece again.
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:36 am Reply with quote
This is funny timing. My tweenaged little brother loves One Piece and he just finished collecting all 54 volumes. He's already started whining about how he has to wait soooo long for the next one. Now he's not alone!
The Anagelic One

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:40 am Reply with quote
Enough time to count his money no doubt, lol. Anime hyper
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:24 am Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
Jaymie wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
Is the end finely coming

There's no way One Piece will end before 2020. They're not even in the New World (second half of their journey) yet.

Yeah. I remember Oda saying something around last year that One Piece is about 50-60% done and that it was probably going to run for about ten more years (if this was even official, anyway). Either way he's made a fantastic series, which makes me think of Hirohiko Araki, since they both have long-running and very popular manga that they've barely ever taken breaks from working on.

So there going to be a vol100 then before it comes to an end
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
This is funny timing. My tweenaged little brother loves One Piece and he just finished collecting all 54 volumes. He's already started whining about how he has to wait soooo long for the next one. Now he's not alone!
Get Shonen Jump. 4 chapters a month there.

My favorite thing about One Piece is how characters don't die and actually come back later like in American comics. It's funny because people only die in flashbacks. Laughing
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
Berserk is just crazy but at least One Piece get publish in a orderly fashion. Its usually a 4 month break with Berserk in between chapters. I may be wrong here but hasn't the english version just about caught up now?

Just about. I think we're about 1 or 2 volumes behind. Maybe 3 if you count what has been published in serialized magazine form. The next volume of Berserk comes out here in September, but the last volume was in February. It was sticking close to an every-other-month release until now. I've honestly been dreading when it catches up because now it's basically at the mercy of when Miura decides to get something done. I love the guy's work, but he has some sizable gaps in there.

I have to give One Piece major credit. It took this long for there to even be a one month break.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I've never understood the appeal of One Piece. I've read on again, off again all the way up to Thriller Bark in between other series, just for the sake of keeping current, and I still don't get it.

I don't think it's bad, though I suppose it evens out as "incredibly average" in my opinion. But I just find it odd how many people complain about other shonen series for dragging, yet One Piece is possibly going to be going on for another decade and people are just exceedingly ecstatic about it. Heck, it seems to me that though One Piece, in my opinion, hits alot of pitfalls that other series encounter, but many people just seem to ignore it and treat it as a sacred cow. But that's the internet for you.

I could say more but I really don't want to throw off all the good mojo for the fans here. I just wanted put it out there as level-headed as possible
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
@Shenl742:

You either love it or don't. It's really that simple.

And I sure as hell don't love it.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
I've never understood the appeal of One Piece. I've read on again, off again all the way up to Thriller Bark in between other series, just for the sake of keeping current, and I still don't get it.

I don't think it's bad, though I suppose it evens out as "incredibly average" in my opinion. But I just find it odd how many people complain about other shonen series for dragging, yet One Piece is possibly going to be going on for another decade and people are just exceedingly ecstatic about it. Heck, it seems to me that though One Piece, in my opinion, hits alot of pitfalls that other series encounter, but many people just seem to ignore it and treat it as a sacred cow. But that's the internet for you.

I could say more but I really don't want to throw off all the good mojo for the fans here. I just wanted put it out there as level-headed as possible

I guess this is completely pointless because once someone has an opinion on the big shounen 3, they usually stick with it for life, but hey, I might as well try.

The main reason most really like One Piece is because, well, it's really that stagnant or at the very least, it does a very good job of hiding it. True, many including myself will agree that there are two or so arcs that go on for far far longer than they need to but the main thing is that things just always keep happening. If something has taken a while to develop, it's so a series of even larger developments can occur later. If an adventure has something pointless or unexpected, even that can have long-term repurcusions in later chapters, thereby rewarding the long-term viewers/readers with the satisfaction of a constant romantic epic that is consistently changing and the realization of "Oh my god, he's planned this stuff out since chapter 1." Plus, I feel the cast is just fantastic. The main crew are just tons of fun to watch and interact with and I'd even admit that the manga uses females the third best in a shounen manga next to Fullmetal Alchemist and Claymore. A positive benefit to the anime adaptation is the stellar voice-acting combined with the soundtrack that goes into it. Just about everyone in it is able to convey the emotion of happiness or sadness or hot-bloodednes or anything that is needed for the situation.

The difference of the long-runner One Piece compared to say, Conan (or heck, even Bleach) is that it just always keeps moving. Even when it doesn't look like it's moving, it still is. It has the flaws that are there and even the fans will acknowledge them but the positives of seeing this adventure unfold are what drives us to continue watching. It's just...fun is all I can say.
DeviousDybbuk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh Oda, you deserve a break. I think he should take a longer break even!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
Myaow wrote:
Get Shonen Jump. 4 chapters a month there.

My favorite thing about One Piece is how characters don't die and actually come back later like in American comics. It's funny because people only die in flashbacks. :lol:

spoiler[Do not read if you aren't prepared for a giant spoiler. Okay, I gave fair warning, later on Ace gives up his life to save an exhausted and powerless Luffy and sadly dies in the process. It's extremely sad and considering that Ace's insides were all completely burnt and his heart stopped, there is no way he could ever come back. I never expected that to ever happen and for that reason, I love reading One Piece.]

There is almost nothing worse than reading a manga and knowing the ending. Even worse is if that ending you foresee comes true or is really close to it. Happened with a manga that I once read before dropping due to predictability. Started out really strong, but lost it's steam later on and became quite average.
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
God yes, I can't wait for the two years man. Luffy and crew are going to be so badass.

I knew where Oda was going with this a while back, I've played videogames for so long that I recognized the route he was taking, and damn did the mugiwara's hella need it. They were walking right into new territory with out leveling up. Bad idea. I love this series.

Shenl742 wrote:
Heck, it seems to me that though One Piece, in my opinion, hits alot of pitfalls that other series encounter, but many people just seem to ignore it and treat it as a sacred cow. But that's the internet for you.
That's not the internet for you, people actually buy this series as well. It been breaking records.

The internet doesn't buy shit. I thought that has been well established.

Shenl742 wrote:
Your opinion is common, so say more, it is to be expected. This series is a "Grand Adventure"! The anime stays right along with the manga which makes it more than just some series. The characters are loved, it has been ten years and we have grown with them. How many series have you read to claim One piece runs into pitfalls? I've read manga and watched anime for the last 28 years, One Piece has been the most fun I've seen a series try to be. It shows too.

We that have read the whole series just kind of look at people that question it and laugh. You gotta read it all the way, you can't just duck in and duck out like you do with common series. One Piece is an adventure that surpasses regular shonen in every way. Many compare it to Dragonball and I agree, but that era is over. This is now and Oda is making what Toriyama made at the time.

Obviously It's not new or unique, but what it does is blend what other juggernauts like Naruto (Kishimoto) and Bleach (Kubo) could never hope to accomplish. It's not stale 10 years down the road. Very Happy
BlackAirs87

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:02 am Reply with quote
I can't wait to see the time skipped characters new looks. I'm glad we are getting a nice little rest from it. Gives ODA a chance at recovering and develop some new ideas for the second half
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote
His first break in over ten years... Oda-san will step outside and say, "Who put that bright light-bulb up there?!" and then go right back inside and have a drink. Hmm maybe I'm just thinking about what I do on Sunday morning Embarassed

And seriously, this is only about halfway for the series?! He must be trying to make Toriyama-san wet his pants or something.

Everybody together now -- ♪ It's a neverending stor~~~y la la laaa ♫
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4