• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Manga Takes 1st Ever 4-Week Break

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taker128

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
It amuses me how One Piece fans go crazy over 4 weeks though. Razz

Try being a Hunter x Hunter or D.Gray-man fan. The authors to those series have a habit of going on random hiatuses for months at a time. Especially HxH, which is on hiatus as we speak. At least D.Gray-man has been going at a steady pace for a year now.

Funny you said that. In the Chinese/Japanese anime/manga community Yoshihiro Togashi has long became THE punchline whenever an artist goes on a hiatus. As for Oda's break, they are taking it in a conflicting way. On one hand, they understand the man needs a break, on the other hand, they can't believe that they are going to be without OP for 4 weeks.

BTW, the report on Asian forums was that Oda asked for 2 weeks break and the JUMP Editorial staff was willing and actually recommend 3 month for he due to his heavy workload and sign of fatgue. They were also originally wanted the break to start right when the War of Summit ends. Oda refused, citing that 3 month is too long a break for his fans and that he needs to move the story a bit further to set up the eventual renunion before he took the time off. They ends up comprimising to 4 weeks and let Oda draw the Sabu flashback and 3D2Y part.

It that's true, then you can't ever complain about Oda's professionalism. Seriously, at this point, he can pull what Yoshihiro Togashi is doing and go on hiatus whenever he feels like knowing his fans will still buy the product, OP will still the the leading manga, yet he delayed the break until he felt it was the right time for break and turned down a recommendation to take more times off.
population_tire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
ABCBTom wrote:

No no! What amazes me is reading through all 54 volumes released in English, looking back, and thinking "That's all?" It's really special when a long series like One Piece or Berserk can go on forever and not feel like it's overstaying its welcome.

I know exactly what you mean. I was just thinking about that the other day.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:36 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
Berserk is just crazy but at least One Piece get publish in a orderly fashion. Its usually a 4 month break with Berserk in between chapters. I may be wrong here but hasn't the english version just about caught up now?

Just about. I think we're about 1 or 2 volumes behind. Maybe 3 if you count what has been published in serialized magazine form.

The most recent issue of the American Shonen Jump is up to Chapter 564, and the Japanese Weekly Shonen Jump is at Chapter 597. That's 33 chapters, or a little over 3 volumes.

Chances are the American Shonen Jump magazine will continue to plow ahead next month and have 4 chapters again, taking it up to Chapter 568 and be 29 chapters behind.

I'm actually kind of surprised that Viz decided to stick around for this many chapters behind. I know it's One Piece and all, with a series this huge, though it seems to be only 2 chapters behind with Karakuridoji Ultimo.
Ruremi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Uh oh, with Oda-san's mind being replenished, by that time, this can only mean more phenomenal and fun adventures to come. A well deserved rest, and hope it's enjoyed.
trafalgar_law

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:59 am Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
I've never understood the appeal of One Piece. I've read on again, off again all the way up to Thriller Bark in between other series, just for the sake of keeping current, and I still don't get it.

I don't think it's bad, though I suppose it evens out as "incredibly average" in my opinion. But I just find it odd how many people complain about other shonen series for dragging, yet One Piece is possibly going to be going on for another decade and people are just exceedingly ecstatic about it. Heck, it seems to me that though One Piece, in my opinion, hits alot of pitfalls that other series encounter, but many people just seem to ignore it and treat it as a sacred cow. But that's the internet for you.

I could say more but I really don't want to throw off all the good mojo for the fans here. I just wanted put it out there as level-headed as possible

I guess this is completely pointless because once someone has an opinion on the big shounen 3, they usually stick with it for life, but hey, I might as well try.

The main reason most really like One Piece is because, well, it's really that stagnant or at the very least, it does a very good job of hiding it. True, many including myself will agree that there are two or so arcs that go on for far far longer than they need to but the main thing is that things just always keep happening. If something has taken a while to develop, it's so a series of even larger developments can occur later. If an adventure has something pointless or unexpected, even that can have long-term repurcusions in later chapters, thereby rewarding the long-term viewers/readers with the satisfaction of a constant romantic epic that is consistently changing and the realization of "Oh my god, he's planned this stuff out since chapter 1." Plus, I feel the cast is just fantastic. The main crew are just tons of fun to watch and interact with and I'd even admit that the manga uses females the third best in a shounen manga next to Fullmetal Alchemist and Claymore. A positive benefit to the anime adaptation is the stellar voice-acting combined with the soundtrack that goes into it. Just about everyone in it is able to convey the emotion of happiness or sadness or hot-bloodednes or anything that is needed for the situation.

The difference of the long-runner One Piece compared to say, Conan (or heck, even Bleach) is that it just always keeps moving. Even when it doesn't look like it's moving, it still is. It has the flaws that are there and even the fans will acknowledge them but the positives of seeing this adventure unfold are what drives us to continue watching. It's just...fun is all I can say.

Hey lets not be dissing Detective Conan now ok....
I had a feeling there was a time skip coming up spoiler[after the war].
Tomes007

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Guren Alchemist4 wrote:
A well deserved rest Smile

He should probably go to either a bar or a cofee shop during his R and R because that is where most ideas originate from
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Ahhhh, so One Piece is taking a break? What, was writing volume 5,432 a good stopping point?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote
trafalgar_law wrote:
Hey lets not be dissing Detective Conan now ok....

Oh, no way. I was just using that as an example. I think Conan's a pretty rad show.

Apparently, Oda went back to work like a week ago. The hiatus is still going though.
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
Ahhhh, so One Piece is taking a break? What, was writing volume 5,432 a good stopping point?

Funny how wrong that is. And if you had seen where he's at in the manga, the break makes perfect sense.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
And if you had seen where he's at in the manga, the break makes perfect sense.

It should be the end, not a breaking point. Isn't 54 volumes enough?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
garfield15 wrote:

For the level of story he's told with One Piece, 54 is not even close to enough. Anyone who's read the manga to it's current point would agree.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
garfield15 wrote:

People like you, who have no idea what they are talking about, should have no right to be posting about this.

"The series should end because it is long!" No, One Piece is a story. It's not like Pokemon where it could have ended anywhere, One Piece has an overarching story, and it would make absolutely no sense to end it right here.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
garfield15 wrote:

People like you, who have no idea what they are talking about, should have no right to be posting about this.

"The series should end because it is long!" No, One Piece is a story. It's not like Pokemon where it could have ended anywhere, One Piece has an overarching story, and it would make absolutely no sense to end it right here.

O.O Ooooooh, getting a little bit snippy, are we? Anime hyper
Anyways, I knew i'd get this kind of response sooner or later so i'll just leave this thread now. But guess what? Stories can be told in 26 episodes or 13-15 mangas. They don't need 469 episodes and 54 mangas to get a story done. That's what killed Naruto and Bleach (even though the mangas are good). I'm planning to try out One Piece, don't get me wrong, but if this means we have another 54 mangas to look forward to, you're asking alot from me.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
garfield15 wrote:

O.O Ooooooh, getting a little bit snippy, are we? Anime hyper
Anyways, I knew i'd get this kind of response sooner or later so i'll just leave this thread now. But guess what? Stories can be told in 26 episodes or 13-15 mangas. They don't need 469 episodes and 54 mangas to get a story done. That's what killed Naruto and Bleach (even though the mangas are good). I'm planning to try out One Piece, don't get me wrong, but if this means we have another 54 mangas to look forward to, you're asking alot from me.

And there are some stories that can be told in 13 episode anime series, or in a single one hour thirty minutes movie. Does that mean that every anime series that goes above 13 episodes is too long? That a 2 hour movie is always a bad thing?

It would be kind of absurd of me to claim that, wouldn't it? Some stories can't be told as briefly as others. I think that there might be a few places where Oda could have trimmed things down in One Piece and made it shorter, but I think overall in most cases the length was necessary, or at the very least it was still enjoyable and didn't feel like pointless padding.

Except for some of the anime filler episodes, but that's just something that can't be avoided in a case like this.

I understand the insane length of the series may make it a bit daunting for someone planning on getting into it, but that doesn't change the fact that if you havn't even read the series yet, you're not really in a position to comment on whether this particular story is being drug out or simply given the length it deserves.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, you gotta understand from my POV. Every series that has gone over 50 episodes has seemed to be half story, half filler, and it's hard to think that a series that's over 400 episodes, let alone 50, is still good. Tried it with Naruto, fail. Bleach, fail. Dragonball Z, fail. Cardcaptor Sakura, fail. Inuyasha, fail. It's all the same. So excuse me if I sound like some idiot who complains about long animes, but i've yet to find a good one. Maybe One Piece is it :S.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Sakura was awesome. I don't know what you're talking about.

And One Piece is that manga if you stick with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4