• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Junjo Come Here

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
andyscout wrote:
You obviously haven't seen Eden of the East.

You are correct, sir!

Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
Avoid the religious jokes. No one would like it if someone cracked a muslim/jew/pagan/buddha/atheist/mormon/protestant/anglo-saxon/hindu/etc. joke. They just become stereotypes.

I hope they make Saint Young Men into an anime and I get to review it.

If I wanted to be offensive I would have used the following terms: "Zombie Christ" and "Death Cookie".

Pandadice wrote:
Oh, you enjoyed Junjou Romantica? Well then here is a title I think you might enjoy. It's a beautiful work of art, that truly transcends the medium of animation. It's characters are some of the best developed I have ever come across in not only anime, but most fiction in general.

Dear Mr. Troll, thank you for your shotacon link. At least in Junjou the characters (who have sex) are over 18.

Megiddo wrote:
Also, can't say I enjoy the bit of double standard going on with Junjou. You state that Misaki is a college student when you should know full well that he's a high school student (since he's studying for his entrance exams). I wonder what you would think of the show if it were a 28 year old male and an 18 year old female?

I thought he graduated from high school in like, the first episode? Isn't the point of the series that he's going to live at whatshisname's house during college? Maybe that wasn't the point. But he is 18, right?

And in answer to your question (which I thank you for calling me out on, because that is called for), I'm just glad there were no pants-less 12-year-olds in this show. That is how low my standards have dropped...

TatsuGero23 wrote:
But I'm still curious (sincerely, not in snarky kind of way), you like GiTS; so when you watched GiTS did the budget friendly stuff stick out or did the series just do a better job making you believe or get caught up in its worlds and not notice them as much? Or do you think you just generally notice it more because you've been on that side of the industry?

Earlier I linked above to my personal blog entry about this, but I am interested in why you think GiTS had a low budget. Was it just the lip flap hiding? There was a ton of CG in that show, loads of action, tons of characters, lots of vehicles, a zillion props, layered colors, multiple characters in complicated action scenes, and lots and lots of locations including complicated cityscapes, which are hard to draw and expensive to do in 3D. Any time characters are more realistic (as in GitS), I assume it is harder to keep them drawn on model, so you need a high retake budget. Also I think GiTS was not on as late as night as Casshern, but I lack a source on this at this time. The earlier it airs in Japan the higher the budget (unless it's a preschool show - or maybe including preschool shows!).

We are talking about Ghost in the Shell, right? It probably needed a whole separate CG department just to create the world of the internet (in the show)! That's two offices instead of one (or two rooms at least), doubling the show's "rent".
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Demon of Rashomon wrote:
Honestly, I do love it when a reviewer agrees with my opinion of a show. It gives me a fuzzy feeling.
On the other side though I do not get angry when they disagree.

One admires your tolerance. I am more prone to become riled upon reading an expression of taste that deviates from my own.

Well-animated or not, however, I currently profess no interest in Casshern Sins, even though I admit it exudes a notable degree of visual flair.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote
YES! My favorite Yaoi is Shelf Worthy!!!!
Of course, I already own the DVD XD but it's nice to hear from a reviewer approve of my taste in anime! ^^
Smart Chick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but I think that readers will appreciate hearing why you think Casshern Sins is low quality when there's a LOT of low quality television on the market. Why single this one out as low quality from the rest of the gamut of TV shows?

After reading your blog, which I appreciate, one of your posters asked the question above. This is the reason why I was critical about your animation comment and yes compared to a lot of other anime Casshern Sins has a lower animation budget. However, when compared to all the other recent/current slew of shows that's where I got confused on your comment.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
andyscout wrote:
You obviously haven't seen Eden of the East.

You are correct, sir!

I highly recommend it!

erinfinnegan wrote:

Megiddo wrote:
Also, can't say I enjoy the bit of double standard going on with Junjou. You state that Misaki is a college student when you should know full well that he's a high school student (since he's studying for his entrance exams). I wonder what you would think of the show if it were a 28 year old male and an 18 year old female?

I thought he graduated from high school in like, the first episode? Isn't the point of the series that he's going to live at whatshisname's house during college? Maybe that wasn't the point. But he is 18, right?

And in answer to your question (which I thank you for calling me out on, because that is called for), I'm just glad there were no pants-less 12-year-olds in this show. That is how low my standards have dropped...

Miskai is 18. Remember? He and Akihiko (aka what's his name ;-D) celebrated his 19th birthday on episode 8 spoiler[ which was mention prior to the "train sex scene" -////- ]

And as for a 18 year old boy dating a 28 year old man: this website says the legal age of consent For Gay Men couples is 13-18!!!
braves

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When I accused Casshern Sins Part 1 of looking cheap this week on Shelf Life, I meant that it cut a a lot of the same corners as DBZ. You only need one gray post apocalypse key background:
Are these really that monotonous for a post-apocalyptic show?

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/juice41fantastic/Casshern1.jpg?t=1283300187

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/juice41fantastic/Casshern5.jpg?t=1283300190

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/juice41fantastic/Casshern6-1.jpg?t=1283304019

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/juice41fantastic/Casshern3.jpg?t=1283300188

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/juice41fantastic/Casshern4.jpg?t=1283300272

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/juice41fantastic/Casshern2.jpg?t=1283300368

Shows have their ups and downs, but still.
Quote:
And then a lot of the characters are robots with fixed jaws. Casshern has a mask over his mouth during fights, too.
The overwhelming majority of anime designs have a character's mouth small in order to not give the animator's grief over animating lip flap. This is been happening for decades and decades. However, I'm not a fan of the quasi-lip sync that's so popular in American animation either.

Quote:
The fights are often hand-to-hand battles between two characters. A lot of part 1 was two characters standing still talking before a fight on nearly-identical backgrounds.
Do you consider hand-to-hand fights between two people inherently designed to cut budget costs? One of the fights in this set (ep. 6) is handled by Norio Matsumoto and he's hardly a cheap guy to get on a series given his skill. This (hey, there's a robot with a mouth!) is done by Naoki Tate, who's also arguably the best animator owned by Toei. I never expect for fights to have elaborate backgrounds since I consider those sequences to be the individual animator's turf.

Just by looking at the personnel they got on this project and how it comes together, it becomes apparent to me that the animation is meant to be idiosyncratic in its execution and not lazy. I'm not denying that there aren't some shortcuts in the series, but these never came across to me as the animation being inadequate so much as something that I have to swallow due to the constraints of producing a TV series. What stuck with me was how it overcame these shortcomings with the overall movement and design that was applied to the series.

Quote:
By contrast, you might be wondering (probably not; TL;DR) about an "expensive" counter-example. The 2004 film Steamboy is a good example.
That's actually a pretty unfair one just on the terms of comparing backgrounds. There were only 7 people credited on Steamboy for doing background work and that obviously reflects the amount of time they had to lay back on.

Last edited by braves on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
We need more of this, not the "waaah, you hurt my feelings through my favorite anime" Instead, we need "here is why I disagree. This is what I took from this anime."

The best way to challenge a criticism is with your own criticism of the work, not just your thoughts on the critic's opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Admittedly, my first post in this thread wasn't exhibiting exemplary conduct. It was characteristic of "nerd rage", as it were. I got rather defensive for this series because over the past few years there haven't been that many number of TV shows that clearly marked a group of individuals putting their own artistic stamp on an animated product in an interesting and convincing manner. Studio 4C might get a lot of credit in some circles for putting out "artsy" stuff, but Madhouse has consistently allowed people like Hiroshi Hamasaki and Masaaki Yuasa to direct TV series that had absolutely no hopes of being financial blockbusters. Casshern Sins is another example of Madhouse allowing these kinds of works to come to fruition when they probably wouldn't have done so anywhere else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Are you saying that Madhouse doesn't get proper spotlight? I look forward to seeing things Madhouse is involved in. Didn't hear much fanfare or kind words about Casshern Sins though, and I didn't realize that it's a Madhouse work.
braves

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I know Madhouse has its fair share of fans, but I still don't think they get enough credit for producing these art house shows. I believe that Studio 4C is much more likely to be associated with that kind of work (or maybe I'm scarred after I read a post on this forum that said Tatami Galaxy looked more like something Studio 4C would do).
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
I hope they make Saint Young Men into an anime and I get to review it.

For some reason I thought that manga got licensed, but then I remembered it was a different one on the best & worst manga panel list of titles they wanted licensed.
And remembering all the fuss Dogma created (banned by the Catholics, wasn't it? Picketed I do remember. Some local theaters got hit with lines) plus the current environment in the US, they'd have to release it in a plain brown covers, call it "Two Guys" & change the names to "B" & "J".

As for extras tipping a title into shelfworthy, I've bought titles on the strength of Japanese cast interviews if its an actor I like but the title sounds less than exciting. I picked up a strange little title off a used rack because the back said it had an interview with Tomokazu Seki. At the time ADV was stripping extras from boxed sets, Japanese cast interviews would entice me to buy the singles. And I had no real interest in Zone of Enders until I saw one of the dvds included an interview with Takehito Koyasu. If I had known the Otogi Zoshi that arrived today had 6 disks of extras I probably would have bought it before now. And yeah, depending on the movie, I often go for the 2 disk version.
If movie companies can use it as a reason to charge an extra $10 for a movie on dvd, why can't it be a reason to be shelfworthy?
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:04 am Reply with quote
Ill post the reply i made on your blog.

Well the thing here is mostly that Sins was written as a post apocalyptic story. So the low budget background thing is really hard to judge, since post apocalyptic landscapes are subject to interpretation, and it was written that way. barren wastelands with few buildings works well for Sins' kind of feeling of Isolation and total aloneness.

Also, the mouth guard they use in Sins was in every other Casshern as well, its part of the character design- when he fights, it comes on. if anything, blame the original anime for it.

also- what i forgot to say there as well- also, is that regarless of if they repeat background or whatever- you cannot possibly accuse them of making them "cheap" because those backgrounds in that show were GORGEOUS. plain downright beautifully made. and thats the art major part of me speaking. they have an abstract charm, that makes them really nice, even though they depict an "end of days" world. theres tons of colors used in them, and despide being drab, are still very sharp and stand out.

Also- could we PLEASE move away from the Casshern Christianity discussion that pretty much DOMINATED the last page? Geez, I mean weve already established the comparison was probably uncalled for, do you need to keep going on and on about it? I mean, shit, lets concentrate on the actual things reviewed instead of one little sentence Erin made.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
As a woman, I agree with Charlaine Harris.

As a man, I agree with Charlaine Harris... I just wish her most recent books didn't suck so bad compared to her pre-HBO/Hollywood novels. I can't read her books anymore, too painful. I loved that series. Way to ruin things, Hollywood.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:35 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Shichimi wrote:

Have to say that I've never heard of the Catholic = cannibal stereotype before, the only one I'm familiar with is the super-offensive spoiler[Catholic priest = child molester] thing.

Yeah, that's new to me too (to the point where I think it may be crazy ranting and not actually "a thing").

Also plenty of people have big senses of humor about religion, not everyone is hypersensitive. Just sayin'.

Ok as a practicing roman catholic I have to say I'd be HAPPY with simply being called, or referred to, an a cannibal. I was an alter boy myself so I find the priests are all pedophiles bit to be very offensive and it down right angers me as my priest was a wonderful man.

This stereotype though.....In this MODERN day and age that is (in developed areas at the very least) such a silly notion getting upset by it is just ridiculous. Back in the day hundreds of years ago it was a different situation. However we live in the year 2010 and things are different. Someone who seriously thinks catholics are cannibals is just freaking hilarious and probably deserves a ride on the short bus. Making a joke about it...honestly it doesn't offend as the joke really isn't funny. Not as in it's offensive non-funny....it's simply not funny period. It's just stupid and getting upset over this stereotype (new one for me too) is just silly.

As for the Casshern discussion...I have to mirror Emerje's opinions. I found it easily to be rental worthy and found the art to be very crisp, smooth, and made fine use of the darker colors. Saying it's low budget and all the backgrounds look the same I think is very off the mark and just simply wrong. I'd concede it can be a tough watch and definitely is not for everyone. It is not some leisurely weekend show or mindless comedy. But it is hardly low budget looking or unpolished. Judging by Erin's Tehxnolyze comment I'm given the impression she thinks low about that show too as it is something to "stomach." If so I definitely have a problem with that even more but as Emerje also said to each their own I guess.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:58 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
If the editor of an op/ed page was caught censoring his writers' columns just so he wouldn't have to deal with anyone being even potentially offended, he'd be fired and replaced with someone who has a spine and some fortitude. I take it you don't work in publishing.

No, I work in engineering. I'm better at problem-solving than wordsmithing.

And yes, I agree that editing just to prevent a storm of calls to the ombudsman would be wrong. But if the op-ed page of the New York Times had something comparitively insulting and incorrect (e.g. The Bell Curve "proving" that black people are less intelligent than white people), I would expect the editors to send that back for a rewrite before it hit the presses, even though it might seem to be censorship of a hot-button issue.

I guess we just have a different threshold for what constitutes "editing" versus "censorship".

I think removing one parenthetical comment that (a) adds little or nothing to the review, (b) is religiously (or otherwise) offensive in what should be a non-religious forum*, and (c) is not even a very good comparison** (if it isn't outright factually wrong***), would be on the "editing" end of the spectrum.

If it was just (b), it would be "censorship", if you think censorship applies to entirely-private endeavors. Since you could delete this comment and I could go say the same thing elsewhere where you couldn't, I would say you were moderating, not censoring.

* - yes, if it's a review of an anime that contains issues from real-world religions, let it fly. But Casshern Sins is not even Kannagi, much less Haibane Renmei.
** - Hunting down a powerful being to kill him and take his powers? I think that's The Highlander, or maybe Mega Man. Not so much The New Testament.
*** - Casshern: kill a powerful, non-divine being to eat his physical body and gain physical immortality for yourself. Catholicism: don't kill anyone, eat the transubstantiated body of a divine being so that your immortal-whether-you-eat-or-not soul will go to the right place when your physical body dies. I think that requires a link to Cowboy Bebop at his computer, for teh lulz. Since I haven't watched all of Casshern yet, I may be doing the same thing myself, here...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8