• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shigofumi - Letters from the Departed DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
championferret

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:18 am Reply with quote
Just chiming in to say this is a fantastic anime; I just wish I knew why it took so long to get released. I'll probably import it soon if Madman dont release it in Australia (which is unlikely).

it's a shame about Ali Project (I'm one of those haters that's gonna hate) doing the opening, but I think the gorgeous ending theme 'Chain' makes up for that.
Caiobrz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Also just popping in to say this is a fantastic piece of work, and I don't agree with the B- in story or overall. I find it weird that Theron gives A's so easily to HOTD or Asobi ni iku yo!, but falls to B on something so much more complete as a title as this one.

It's pretty clear this title FOCUS on Fumika and NOT on the letter delivering service or mith/legend, so I can see why one is annoyed that it's not properly explained/covered on the title, but it was never the point of it. Degrading the rating because you expected something different - but not the point of the series - don't make much sense.

As for other comments, seriously, comparing this gem with Tegami Bachi is almost an offense. Tegami Bachi was annoyingly episodic and mind blowing boring all the way thru the middle of the series - could be better if it were a 13 episode thus trashing all those fillers, but still just because this and that have "delivering letters" it does not make them any similar at all. It's the same as saying this is like Rozen Maiden because of Fumika's gothic appearance, or Card Captor Sakura because "the staff kinda looks like Sakura's".
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
A un-kudos for using the word moe, which definitely doesn't belong here.

Yes it does. spoiler[The main character is an astral projection of a girl in a coma ffs]
Also note the mail carriers eyes, and the fact they are basicaly mahou shoujo. Most of the stories are typical moe ones as well, compare to, say, AIR which dealt with similar subject matter at times.

It uses so many archetypal moe elements it's rediculous.

Will accept that calling a character uniform design moe is normaly wrong tho'. Their characterisation is normaly far more important, still definatly pandering in this case.

Also agree with the point, how on earth did this get a PG. Goes on the list of why most ratings systems are useless, it nearly gets an automatic 18 (17+, for US people) in so many places but never actualy shows any of the deaths or abuse on screen.

This is a by the numbers moe show and one of the only ones that actually worked doing it like that, mostly due to the odd series structure.
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the well-written review.

This show sounds fascinating but so grim and depressing I'm a little scared to watch it. I hope I can catch some of the stream at least.

Also wow, lately people are getting really srs bzns over OPs and EDs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2