• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Brain Diving - Short Term Memory

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Kitsune-chan wrote:

That piece by Satoshi Kon sounds fascinating. I will have to look it up.

I found out about Kon's contribution to this project being available online when GATSU posted this link on page 10 of the thread concerning Kon's last blog post:

CATSUKA Fan Page

Ani*Kuri 15 15

I can't remember when or where I first read about it, but if I remember right 15 animators did 1-minute long projects for this.

It's the kind of thing I wish I had on DVD.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
One of the biggest problems with this novel, and indeed many novels like it, is that its writing can be rather uneven. [...] Regardless of questions of translation though, Fujisaku has a tendency to tell and not show – quite frequently he has his characters speaking in expository dialogue that they would never realistically say to one another solely for the benefit of the reader. At the same time, though, Fujisaku engages in quite a bit of world-building, detailing different aspects of the Ghost in the Shell universe that were left unexplored or glossed over in other media. For example, he delves more deeply into how cyberbrains might work and what this might mean for how people in a future society relate and interact with one another.

His sense of pacing, particularly for going off to build worlds, was one of my biggest problems with the books. The other being all the times he made none-to-subtle references back to episodes of the TV series with which he was involved. Most having little bearing nor making any sense until he goes on about it, at length, in the afterword. I think the first example that really bothered me was where he spends almost an entire page, beginning on page 38, discussing Cyberbrain drugs. While this might otherwise be a worthwhile insight into the GitS world (or drug use in general,) the lab tech had literally just finished saying that this topic had absolutely no bearing on the case at hand! A point further reinforced once he returns to the story.

So he meanders about until it seems the realization of a dwindling page count looms into his consciousness, and he starts wrapping things up. I much preferred the second book, as having three separate stories in the same total length forced him to stay tighter on topic. Sadly, the third book did not learn this lesson well enough, and gives him too much space to roam again.
Kitsune-chan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote
gartholamundi wrote:
I found out about Kon's contribution to this project being available online when GATSU posted this link on page 10 of the thread concerning Kon's last blog post:

CATSUKA Fan Page

Ani*Kuri 15 15

I can't remember when or where I first read about it, but if I remember right 15 animators did 1-minute long projects for this.

It's the kind of thing I wish I had on DVD.

The piece really is amazing.

It seems to me that the act of reflection serves to awaken her from the illusion of the separation of the body and mind, where either her soul or her body is lagging behind the other, distanced from one another as they are in the dreaming state. As the morning routine goes on, the one slowly catches up with the other. Finally, the mirror declares that there is only one entity to be reflected, and the spirit and body become joined into one. The joining is a cheerful one, and the woman smiles at this natural union. In fact, she greets it.

One could perhaps argue that she is unaware of this disconnect, and is only able to acknowledge herself as this unified entity, unaware of the disconnect that occurs every morning between her body and soul as they struggle to come together once again upon awakening from their divided slumbers in which the body recharges and the mind wanders, plays, and reorganizes. Perhaps it is speaking to the inability for modern humans, all too familiar with their own reflections, to differentiate between these two separate entities. Or perhaps it is saying, as with my earlier argument about Kusanagi's reflection in Ghost in the Shell, that the reality is only one, and the soul and body as disconnected entities are only flickerings in our fractured and tainted visions of our world.

I really hope the shorts get an official release in the US as well. Anime smallmouth
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3