• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - System Wars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:22 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Why is it that great anime artists of the 80's and 90's only seem to be involved with video game art these days?

I bet it's the money.

Anyway, making a new Suchi Pai is sort of a deliberate 90's throwback on the level of making new Slayers anime: far as I can tell, that whole arcade strip mahjong genre mostly died out as really good arcade MJ games from Konami and Sega started to appear. Now that stuff sticks to the handhelds.

Like with Saki, they have sponsorship a deal going with Sega for those characters to appear in Sega's MJ series. But those games are real-deal no-joking 4-player mahjong games. If you want the sleaze, someone else made a PSP game for that.

I think they tried to do a revival in "games you have to play in public but don't really want to be playing in public" by putting the Higurashi mahjong game in arcades first, but I can't poll Japan's arcade-going perverts on how well that did.

(IF ONLY I HAD THE MEANS)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Vent wrote:
No they won't, because anyone who has watched Geass knows you need eye contact for Lelouch's Geass to work.

Though ironically (ACE-R spoiler coming up) spoiler[He actually does use it on the main villain after you beat him, commanding him to relive all the pain and torture he inflicted on others for eternity]

Yeah I know, but you'd be surprised the stupid remarks some YouTubers would make. And as for that spoiler, I figured something like that would happen.
Almaz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
That's a shallow thing to say... My collection is pitiful compared to the amount of shit I've played. I'm a game renter, mostly.

Sorry man for the low blow. You seemed to use in an earlier statement that the your pics of your collection was the only validation to your expert opinions. I am one who only buys the games that I am interested in. Until a few years ago, trying to find every game (pc or console) to rent was difficult to do. I did not bother. I buy used or on sale. I would be interested in the games you like so I understand better what kind of gamer you are.

My gaming experience starts back at the Atari 2600. Played on Colecovision, Intellivision, 3DO, CDi, and many other consoles. My first computer was an Apple IIgs which had "state of the art' gaming. Later, I moved to PC gaming with Wolfenstein on an IBM PS/2 computer. I got back into console gaming with a PS1. I have an Xbox, 360, PS2, PS3, Gamecube, Wii, and an PSP. Whatever console I don't have, my brother covers. BTW This is just for background purposes, not bragging rights. It would be good to see what stuff people are into. Some people, like myself, have not bought an DS (not enough games to interest me in purchasing.)

My previous comments were more to bring the conversation from the bashing of the creators to the games themselves. I did a poor job. From what I understand, most people liked Kingdom Hearts at the beginning. The series has "branched" out for its good or bad. Many people here in this forum would like to hear the pros and cons to the games, not the poo slinging. If you disliked the games, why? And please do not use "just because so and so had something to do with it."

IMO The Kingdom Hearts series is still a good series worth looking into. The game play could not get me interested to continue the game. I liked Final Fantasy X and XII. I skipped X-2. The MMO versions of FF got a zero from me only because of the monthly crack payment. I think they did a good job creating a world that merges the FF world with the Disney world. The main characters was not supposed to be the characters from either world. They kinda pimped the other worlds to attract gaming and Disney fans . Not to mentioned, the game was designed to cater to kids as well as adults. At the top of my head, I cannot think of any Disney game that is better than Kingdom Hearts, in my opinion.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:03 am Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
... I have a ... Wii ...
At the top of my head, I cannot think of any Disney game that is better than Kingdom Hearts, in my opinion.

If you're interested in seeing a Disney game that could compete with KH, you might check out Epic Mickey, if you haven't already. It seems to be getting a lot of buzz, though I don't know if that's just the marketing, or actual hands-on reviews.

@John Casey: Haha, okay, you got me there. Aladdin is probably one of the best Disney games of all time. The Lion King was pretty good, too.

Last edited by teh*darkness on Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:03 am Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
... I have a ... Wii ...
At the top of my head, I cannot think of any Disney game that is better than Kingdom Hearts, in my opinion.

Lul, Aladdin. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4