• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gaming section?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shichimi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:01 am Reply with quote
I just realised that there doesn't seem to be any area dedicated to the discussion of gaming. With a lot of people here playing (and some popular anime being based on) VNs, and with the fact that there is a gaming column, I'll just ask if you guys have considered putting a Gaming section up?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:31 am Reply with quote
There is a video game thread in the community section, but, honestly, it's a lame thread where no real discussions happen. Plus, the community section is a baron wasteland, anyways.

While I'm not a huge gamer anymore, I certainly wouldn't mind the addition of a Video Game subforum. And I was actually thinking this morning how it's strange to have a video game column, but not a subforum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashna

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote
When I wanted to ask a question about Bleach: The Blade of Fate, I couldn't find anywhere else but the community forum to ask it. I'm in favor of creating a video game subforum; if it wouldn't be a problem, of course.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Well when I "read" gaming I think of pencils, dice, and paper.. perhaps to old school?

Not that I'm against a video game sub-forum or anything...
vashna

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
What's to say we can't have both in the same forum? Or would that get too confusing?
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Well admittedly there are a few anime inspired/licensed products however the "popular" ones have a few "reference points" but do not require them (Like Geist: The Sin-Eaters mentioning the Persona series of games as a reference to look up)

Ones in my collection Robotech; The Shadow Chronicles, BESM D20, BESM 3rd Edition and Maid: The Role Playing Game...

World of Darkness and ShadowRun might have a stronger anime influences than say Warhammer Fantasy Role Play or Mouse Guard or even 3rd Edition D&D.
vashna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:17 am Reply with quote
I was going to bring up that we've had a Robotech thread here a few times before. Hey, and after all we're connected to Protoculture Addicts, and didn't that start as a Robotech fan magazine?
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
My idea is that it would probably be a bit better if it was a "games from Japan" section, being what The X Button covers (it's the only time when non subscribers can discuss it, and usually within whatever is covered, only :/). Plus, goes along with an anime forum, instead of even more off topic like just having a general "games" section, with topics of Halo and Call of Duty.
Something like that I would for sure be in favor of Smile I mean, it is an Anime forum afterall, but with all the JRPGs etc. using anime art and even cutscenes, heck, Lunar is half an anime already! This, I can see as being possible...
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I like your idea of a 'Japanese games' section. I was thinking there are already many gaming sites and fora out there, so why add another one, but if we limit it to games of Japanese origin, that could work. Let's include translations though, because most of us don't understand the language well enough to play a game in.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I think it could be useful.

Where do things like visual novels fit in? I posted about some of the Mangagamer Higurashi VN's over in the Novel section, but it did not seem to be a good fit.

With so much anime finding its source material in video games and visual novels these days, I think there could be a strong argument for an anime related 'gaming' discussion area.

Or maybe I really just want a place where I can rave about how enjoyable Sakura Wars IV: So Long My Love was.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Visual novels usually are of anime (like Disgaea Infinite) so I would say that would count. Also, the reason I say "games from Japan" is that although there are TONS of JRPGs, things that X Button covers is also games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Metal Gear etc. Either way, they don't stray too far away from anime (especially since RE had the CG movie of it), but things like discussing the RE live action movies would be too far a stretch... Keeping it within limits, as noted.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Well there are true pencil and paper JRPGs... probably don't have mass appeal but there has been an English release of at least one of them (there may be more the indie role playing game circuit ebbs and flows like that.)

Game: http://maidrpg.com/index.shtml

It's alright if you can get past the creepy examples it uses to explain the rules. And would recommend in a kind of party game to play with anime fans.. big part of its' comedic appeal is understanding anime tropes at some level.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I think paper and pencil JRPGs would be a bit of a far stretch too... Just since it has no "real" anime imagery, and it's a fan project, in which this forum doesn't even have a fan art/fiction section of. Although I've never played D&D and the like, I do know it is more of a fan project, although there ARE rules, where almost anything could happen. With actual video game JRPGs, there is actual art of anime characters, a storyline that is usually quite "animey", not to mention anime cutscenes, and oh yeah: actual anime series/OVAs based on the game itself!
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
No there are anime based pencil and paper RPG's most notably Record of Lodoss war was a pencil and paper RPG setting and Replay before becoming an anime series as well as several being tied to light novels and anime.. But that was mostly in the 80's and 90's. Most of the "RPG" resurgence was a three-year period between 1999-2002.. mainly because it faces stiff competition from TCGs and arcades.. although it's the easiest market to self-publish in (hence Maid).

We don't see a lot of them mostly because we have a healthy independent publishing market for RPGs as well as the classic D&D. And a campaign can have story lines too, in fact if you don't have one you won't have a game for long.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
My idea is that it would probably be a bit better if it was a "games from Japan" section, being what The X Button covers (it's the only time when non subscribers can discuss it, and usually within whatever is covered, only :/). Plus, goes along with an anime forum, instead of even more off topic like just having a general "games" section, with topics of Halo and Call of Duty...

Yeah, that was what I meant; keep it to games from Japan. There are lots of great games that can be imported and played, without needing knowledge of Japanese even.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2