• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Now Macias, Now You Don't

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite anime (which I've been watching recently) holds on a shot of the spaceships, too: Space Battleship Yamato. But I like when they do that, even if it does feel like Leiji Matsumoto is being self-induldgent.

I don't think the English dub has to have voices that neccessarily match the Japanese voice, but they should definitely use them as a guideline. I would like to know what anime you two are referring to when you talk about how you've run into anime dubs that imitate the Japanese dub and aren't good. Most of the best English dubs I've run into do closely match the Japanese performances and even some of the voices (Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and others).

Nobody's going to get that Ed Koch reference, Pat.

I haven't checked out any non-Gundam Tomino stuff, aside from Ideon, which is almost unwatchable (and Be Invoked is little more than a snuff film, and this is coming from a fan of Zeta Gundam), and L-Gaim, which is too ZZ-like. I need to get to Zambot.

The Yamato movies are awesome. Though Be Forever, which I rewatched last night, is a tad ponderous. Tonight I rewatch Final Yamato.

Strange Psychokenetic Strategy is so bad it's good. It's sort of like a Pink Panther movie combined with the 1960s Batman TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Jsevakis: How was the 8-Man thing?

"I remember kind of liking this when I was a teenager"

If it helps, I never saw what the fuss was over Marmalade Boy. But maybe I'm just taking it out on that series, 'cus of Ultramaniac. Anyway, I hope you didn't pay too much, even at used prices, for this stuff.

"I think things were even worse in the early 90s than they are now."

Well, I'm in the bored camp when it comes to Roujin Z and Tenchi. [No disprespect intended to Kon. It just wasn't my thing.] I actually saw part of Gaiarth, and didn't know wtf that was about. Plus, there was Bubblegum Crash, of course. But that was definitely the best time to be a gamer. Though Kekko Kamen, Cat Girl Nuku Nuku, 3x3 Eyes, Jojo, and Ah Megamisama were great. Speaking of A-Ko, that Grey series totally blew.

"I just saw it today reactions."

I only saw it through CPM, and it already seemed dated, but not in a bad way.

"The sadder involving children, the better"

Thoughts on Houndog w/ Dakota Fanning?

Patrick: "Rintaro"

What'd you think of Metropolis?

Last edited by GATSU on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:57 pm Reply with quote
You mention Rintaro and don't bring up Reign: The Conquerer?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
I love the new disclaimer.

Yeah, the whole time from the mid 80s when the OVA boom started until the mid 90s where it started to ramp up into the full on boom is an interesting period. There are definitely a lot of real gems but a lot of real crap too and there was generally so little produced. One thing I do like about that period though is the short nature of OVAs. It's fun to be able to spend relatively little time but still experience a whole different variety of unique shows, each with their own unique style, premise, etc. It makes even more mediocre shows fun where as with longer shows, I don't really have the patience for something unless it's particularly good.

I now must watch 'Wolf Guy'.

I actually kinda worry about moe dying. As much as I hate that crap, it's a way for the industry to at least stabilize itself and turn a reliable profit. I think it also discourages them from making a bigger investment in better shows for greater reward. However, if they're still not willing to do that...well then declining returns of the cash in shows is just going to make things worse.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
If you guys really want something for the buried garbage pile, pick up Vampire Wars.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Jsevakis: How was the 8-Man thing?

It starts off really strong and then shits itself at the halfway point.

Quote:
Well, I'm in the bored camp when it comes to Roujin Z and Tenchi. [No disprespect intended to Kon. It just wasn't my thing.] I actually saw part of Gaiarth, and didn't know wtf that was about. Plus, there was Bubblegum Crash, of course. But that was definitely the best time to be a gamer. Though Kekko Kamen, Cat Girl Nuku Nuku, 3x3 Eyes, Jojo, and Ah Megamisama were great. Speaking of A-Ko, that Grey series totally blew.

Yes it did. To be totally honest, I don't think any of the Yuzo Takada stuff (3x3 Eyes, Nuku Nuku, Everyday is Sunday) holds up today, though I'll admit Nuku Nuku has its moments. Was never a Kekko Kamen fan. I need to rewatch the other two.

Quote:
Thoughts on Houndog w/ Dakota Fanning?

Haven't seen it, will at some point. I think it's in my Netflix queue.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:23 am Reply with quote
I kinda agree with Zac.. I think there should hopefully be more co-production and perhaps more "international" focused properties (Why limit it to U.S. properties)

Of course cross-cultural works like that might mean that perhaps anime production becomes something that is outsourced by other production/publisher groups (ala DC/Marvel animated movie productions) or you know like Batman: The Animated Series was kinda thing.. and unless attached to a larger entity (like Toei/Bandai/Dentsu) might be the only way to continued existence for "smaller" studios.

But I know most companies like continued existence over ending when given an option.

Last edited by LordRedhand on Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:32 am Reply with quote
Re: The Anime "Walk of Shame"

Happy Lesson's not that bad... not that great, but... Yeah, there's worse.
dizzon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
My first exposure to anime was Akira and my second was Project A-ko so it definitely has a big nostalgia factor for myself in all its cheesy goodness. I look forward to buying the re-release when available.

Wow! I would've never guessed when I first started listening to this episode of ANNCast a Mitch Hedberg reference was a possibility. I had the fortune/misfortune of seeing one of his last shows.....damn, that was painful to see. I won't detail his condition for that appearance, but the overwhelming vibe from that show was one of inevitable conclusion.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:45 am Reply with quote
As for newer anime that are slow-paced and soaked in atmosphere, I can't believe nobody thought to mention Aria. Have you seen Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou yet?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:07 am Reply with quote
jsevakis: I will agree the 3x3 Eyes anime[Haven't read the manga.] doesn't hold up, either, but I still have love for Nuku Nuku. Blue Seed's only real issue, though, is how "dated" it might seem, but it could still have a following. Never saw Sunday, so no comment.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:10 am Reply with quote
OK, Zac, this one's for you, and I'd really like an answer. I've been hearing this plenty of sites, and forums, and now from you and Justin, so I just have to ask. Why do so many people say that the moe boom is nearing it's end? I've been looking at the sales in Japan, and moe is dominating: Angel Beats, K-ON!!, Toare Kagaku No Railgun (not QUITE moe, nut many moe elements), etc. I've also been looking at the next anime to start this October season: almost half of it is either full moe, or have heavy moe elements: Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Girls,Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai, MM!, Sora no Otoshimono Forte, etc.

So... how is the moe boom dying out, if more and more are being produced, and rank very high?

PS: Sadly, you guys failed this time. No Heat Guy J reference. Son, I am disappoint.
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:14 am Reply with quote
To those bemoaning the lack of a Heat Guy J reference, you clearly missed the installment in which Zac replaces the usual retro ad/movie clip with a eulogy for said references. It's a fun in-joke, but it's over guys, move on Wink

As for this week's Japanese Animation Information Network Audio Progrum, it did indeed meet my fancy! Verily, forsooth!
braves

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
If you guys really want something for the buried garbage pile, pick up Vampire Wars.
Vampire Wars is kinda decent in comparison to Psychic Wars, though. It actually has some sense of coherency and it features some nice moments of animation thanks to Hideki Hamasu.

Casshern Sins? Never heard of it. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:30 am Reply with quote
Frazmataz wrote:
To those bemoaning the lack of a Heat Guy J reference, you clearly missed the installment in which Zac replaces the usual retro ad/movie clip with a eulogy for said references. It's a fun in-joke, but it's over guys, move on Wink !

What? I thought that eulogy WAS the joke that episode. You mean the Heat Guy J references are really dead?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5