• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Monday Night Lights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:25 am Reply with quote
Wanna first point out that Nura is in Junior Highschool, not Highschool. He is kinda only 12 after all. As for the low ratings, if they showed the "incident that happened 4 years ago" as the first ep (first chapter of the manga) the scores would've probably been higher as it explains why he was adverse to becoming the supreme commander, rather than the anime just making him seem like a little kid that would never exist in real life (who wouldn't wanna be the leader of 100 demons :X). That was one of the reasons it got somewhat low scores.

Anyway, other than the missing chapter and them starting the show a bit mid-arc and then returning to what was chapter 2 in the manga, it's following relatively close to the source material, and hopefully it doesn't go off on a tangent cause it's actually pretty good.
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:20 am Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:

Anyway, other than the missing chapter and them starting the show a bit mid-arc and then returning to what was chapter 2 in the manga, it's following relatively close to the source material, and hopefully it doesn't go off on a tangent cause it's actually pretty good.

Well, it's confirmed for 24 episodes so it's gonna go off eventually...
penguintruth wrote:
Ah, Ninja Nonesense. The anime with the one good Sean Schemmel performance. A rare animal indeed.

You should hear him as Tetsugyu in Giant Robo. You won't even think it's the same guy. Also his Lucario is pretty good.
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:20 am Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:

penguintruth wrote:
Ah, Ninja Nonesense. The anime with the one good Sean Schemmel performance. A rare animal indeed.

You should hear him as Tetsugyu in Giant Robo. You won't even think it's the same guy. Also his Lucario is pretty good.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote
Those ginormous collections made me go "wow!"
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:28 am Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Daemonblue wrote:

If you mean "go off and do it's own thing" then no it shouldn't, it's got enough material to either end on the next major arc or if they pace it really fast there are a few mini arcs they could use to fill up the last few episodes. And I agree that it would've been nice if they had included in the first chapter in somewhere, Rikou feels less like a whiny little kid and more like a mature little kid after that.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:24 am Reply with quote
Erin wrote:
(b) I once tried to learn about football for a boy I loved, but he dumped me on Super Bowl Sunday.
If you didn't expect that to happen it was doomed from the very conception. Don't fall for a soccer football otaku either, unless you are a "ladette" about it too, other wise you will be very lonely for male companionship during the World Cup season. Wink
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
You should hear him as Tetsugyu in Giant Robo. You won't even think it's the same guy.

Listen to a Giant Robo English dub? No thanks. They're both terrible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
triangle_man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Those are amazing shelves. It's nice to see someone with a few Kurosawas in their collection. I'm a bit surprised they haven't gotten Yojimbo/Sanjuro on BluRay yet though. It's soooo much better looking than the original DVDs. I also wonder if they'll triple dip when Seven Samurai comes out on BluRay. I know I will.
kayue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Gotta admit that I too, was put off by the low ratings for Nura at first. But having read some of the manga, I had to watch the show.

It does start off slow and generic, but the manga does pick up, and the anime seems to be doing so too. They've just finished Gyuki's story, (not quite as dramatic as the manga) but plenty interesting, so I have great hope for the upcoming episodes.

I'm not a great fan of football either (or of sports in general) but I love sports anime. Don't know why. And I enjoyed Eyeshield 21 for the most part. Sena is adorable (if a bit pathetic), but seeing him mature is praiseworthy. Though I somehow have gotten bogged down in the endless tournaments after spoiler[Sena was unmasked] and have yet to start watching again.

And YES, watch Hunter X Hunter. One of the greats, IMHO Very Happy
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
Wanna first point out that Nura is in Junior Highschool, not Highschool. He is kinda only 12 after all.

Crud! I'll have to edit that...
machetecat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I couldn't ask for a more in a Shelf Worthy release (except maybe a toy).

The box set of Ninja Nonsense released before this one actually did come with a headband and Onsokumaru stress ball thing... I use it to hold all my ponytails now. Anime hyper He looks like he's trying to break the bonds instead of taking a dump or whatever that expressions's supposed to be.

I love that show to bits. It's absolutely hilarious, which kinda surprised me. I show it to all my crack-loving friends now. Anime hyper
JLightstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:21 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that you liked Eyeshield 21. I really wanted to support this series legally but after the demise of the dub and the time between the episode being subbed on Crunchyroll and the announcement of the dvd by Sentai Filmworks, I was almost thinking about buying Japanese or Korean editions ( If they were available.) My only complaint about the dvd was the constant nicknames Hiruma was giving Sena and Kurita that just didn't seem like something an American translator would use ( Man Pig for Kurita, Mana user for Sena. Who speaks like this.) Plus the way they sorta added a little american trash talk to Hiruma " Come on Ladies!" and of course, replacing the F bomb for "Freaking" I came to terms with it. Plus, since they got the clean textless opening and ending animation, they didn't bother using it to put their credits in it. They decide to use a black screen to run their credit of people that are important. ( The credit of the songs and performers were missing....) I do want to point out for people who are fluent in japanese and are wanting to view the episodes without the english subtitles. You can turn them off if you have a subtitles buttton on your dvd remote. Now If Sentai Filmworks would announce the release date for collection three I would be all set.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:32 am Reply with quote
After a few critical responses to recent Shelf Lives, I'd like to say that this one rocked.

Specifically, a Ninja Nonsense review, because I've already seen it... What made Bamboo's version of Shelf Life (or any other "personality-driven" review column) very useful to me was the history of reviews of shows I had watched. Knowing how the reviewer and I react to the same show means I can read a scathing review of a new show and say "you know, I'd love this", or read a glowing review and say "yup, better pass on this one."

Erin Finnegan wrote:
My husband periodically objected to illegal moves, leaving us to wonder if the rules of American football in Japan are slightly different.
Heck, I do that watching the real thing... only to have that "oh, duh!" moment three seconds later when I realize that I'm mentally objecting to something that's a difference between the college & NFL rules, or last year's NFL rules and this year's.

And having "bad guys" in sports stories who flaunt the rules and get away with it is practically the defining trope of the genre (right after "plucky underdog wins at the last second through sheer perseverance".)

Erin Finnegan wrote:
The Otaku book talks about a database of stock characters, plots and settings
I was having a discussion with a co-worker the other day about the differences between engineering in the USA and engineering in other parts of the world, including Japan. My take is that the industry in the USA doesn't value engineers; it wants everyone to be an inventor. "Make something new, something we can patent. Think outside the box.*" The Japanese ideal is more "engineering" than "inventing"; refining and perfecting what's already there. Seems there's a parallel here in the art world.

And even though you know every harem comedy will have the Beach Episode, the Onsen Episode, and the Festival Episode, with the same jokes (hey, it's Onsen time, think the guys'll get caught peeking? Think the tsundere one will punch the milquetoast male lead into the next prefecture for it?), they can still be funny. Even though you already knew the next line when Johnny Carson said "take the Slauson cutoff..." it was still hilarious... in fact, that was why it was hilarious. Or, as the site says, tropes are not bad.

* - know why there's a box to be thought outside of in the first place? Because most of the answers are in the box.
sonryu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:23 am Reply with quote
Kyosuke_ wrote:
Nice collection SonRyu, you have a lot of similar boxes as I. I really dig your custom Paul Champagne boxes, though (I wish I had a Card Captor Sakura box for all those DVDs I have!). This leads me to ask, if you designed a lot of them, does that mean you were on the design team?
Yes, in a manner of speaking, I'm on Paul Champagne's "design team" (it's not an official gathering of employee's or anything). The majority of his color anime designs are mine (I think I've designed 80-90 boxes so far).

triangle_man wrote:
Those are amazing shelves. It's nice to see someone with a few Kurosawas in their collection. I'm a bit surprised they haven't gotten Yojimbo/Sanjuro on BluRay yet though. It's soooo much better looking than the original DVDs. I also wonder if they'll triple dip when Seven Samurai comes out on BluRay. I know I will.
Eventually, I'd like to own all of Kurosawa's films. I know Criterion just released a new boxset that contains 25 of his films, but seeing as how I own half of them already, I'm not sure if it's worth getting. I'll have to work out which is more cost efficient, buying the box with ones I already have, or just buying the ones I need individually. As for Seven Samurai, I'm sure I'll triple dip on the blu-ray; it's so hard saying no to a re-release Anime smile + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
JLightstar wrote:
Eyeshield 21....They decide to use a black screen to run their credit of people that are important. ( The credit of the songs and performers were missing....) I do want to point out for people who are fluent in japanese and are wanting to view the episodes without the english subtitles. You can turn them off if you have a subtitles buttton on your dvd remote.

That's true of all the Sentaiworks releases I've watched so far. The Right Stuf/Nozumi puts a still image from the show under the translated credits. The black Sentaiworks credits - which usually have no music under them - bothered me at first, but now I'm used to it.

Mikeski wrote:
After a few critical responses to recent Shelf Lives, I'd like to say that this one rocked.

Specifically, a Ninja Nonsense review, because I've already seen it... What made Bamboo's version of Shelf Life (or any other "personality-driven" review column) very useful to me was the history of reviews of shows I had watched. Knowing how the reviewer and I react to the same show means I can read a scathing review of a new show and say "you know, I'd love this", or read a glowing review and say "yup, better pass on this one."

Hooray! You're in luck, since there are a lot of re-releases lately.

Mikeski wrote:
I was having a discussion with a co-worker the other day about the differences between engineering in the USA and engineering in other parts of the world, including Japan. My take is that the industry in the USA doesn't value engineers; it wants everyone to be an inventor. "Make something new, something we can patent. Think outside the box.*" The Japanese ideal is more "engineering" than "inventing"; refining and perfecting what's already there. Seems there's a parallel here in the art world.

This is something my husband and I talked about my Japanese friend's dad in Japan once. He said something like, "You Americans are idiots; it's incredibly expensive to invent something new. It's much cheaper, and therefore much more profitable, to improve on an existing invention." And he's right. If you think about in terms of something like, say, the ipod - Apple didn't invent the first MP3 player, they just made a better one that people liked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3