• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Licensed/dubbed anime - wishlist?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Macross Frontier: It’s one of my favorite Mecha series of recent times. It blended action, character development, and music perfectly. The plot was great as well.

Detroit Metal City: It’s simply comedy at its best. I can’t remember the last time a series had me laughing hard consistently throughout its entirety and I can’t recall a single episode didn’t make me laugh.

Ef a Tale of Memories and Melodies: It was an emotional rollercoaster. The plot and character development was great.

Kara no Kyoukai movies: Fantastic and a must watch for all anime fans looking for something more serious and mentally engaging.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
ponlork wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
I actually been wondering about this. Is it possible for people in the UK to buy a Region 1 DVD player and hook it up to their TV? Or are there some crazy types of cable hook ups that prevent you from doing that? Razz

I always been curious about this so if you can fill me in that would be great.

That may be problematic because UK uses PAL rather then NTSC. There are Region Free DVD players out there that lets you switch between both formats but I don't know how accurate it is. From my experience, I played some PAL dvds on a Region All NTSC player before and it crops off a bit of the resolution. What I would do is rip the DVD to my computer, manually change the resolution and frame rate to the PAL standard and Reburn.

Multi-region DVD players are easily found, and most modern televisions accept an NTSC signal just as well as a PAL one. The one I have access to plays anything with no difference in quality.
I use my computer to watch R1 DVDs however, for which there exist separate tools to override regional settings. I dare say that ripping and re-burning are quite unnecessary for those with the right equipment or software. Indeed, manually converting from one video format to the other is rarely an easy task, as I presume any UK or Australasian anime distributor will tell you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Guren Alchemist4 wrote:
Ef a Tale of Memories and Melodies: It was an emotional rollercoaster. The plot and character development was great.

I forgot about these! Yes and yes, they need to be licensed too. If they got series like Sola and Kanon then these should be brought over too.

Guren Alchemist4 wrote:
Detroit Metal City: It’s simply comedy at its best. I can’t remember the last time a series had me laughing hard consistently throughout its entirety and I can’t recall a single episode didn’t make me laugh.

The main character of this series scares me. Anime hyper Although, there were scenes that made me laugh because of the following AMV: YTMND: Fad of Princely Caliber. Hilarious piece of work.

I also remembered another series I wanted to see the rest of in English. Di Gi Charat Nyo. It is impossible to see the rest of it anywhere and I wish Bandai would finish it or release a Complete Series boxset (I know the sales weren't very good but they were so close to finishing it!). It sucks owning an anime where it has been discontinued for English release. Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Just like my AnimeOnDVD License Wishlist:

1. Angel Beats! (10885)
2. Saki (10527)
3. Sky Girls (7816)
4. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st (10184)
5. K-On!! (11262)
6. Binchotan (5314)
7. Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai (7454)
8. Ichigo Mashimaro OVA (6684)
9. Hidamari Sketch X Hoshimittsu (11047)
10. Kowarekake no Orgel (movie) (11761)

Angel Beats!: Jun Maeda makes this a must see for me. It sucks not being able to see the series on R1 until all the Japanese character goods are long sold out. Luckily, I already bought NyanType Tenshi dakimakura because I have a premonition I'll find Tenshi absolutely moe.

Saki: I absolutely loved following this on CrunchyRoll. The manga getting licensed would be even better, but I don't think either is too likely. If sports stories don't do well in the US, mahjong stories would be...

Sky Girls: It's all about the Shimada Humikane character designs.

I'm coming down from an awesome licensing high this summer. Before Anime Expo, my list had Sora no Woto at #1, and it got licensed. So I put Strike Witches 2 as my new #1...which promptly got licensed at Otakon. Still, there's tons more stuff I'd like to see in R1, including all the stuff I couldn't fit on this list.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:

Saki: I absolutely loved following this on CrunchyRoll. The manga getting licensed would be even better, but I don't think either is too likely. If sports stories don't do well in the US, mahjong stories would be...

I definitely would agree. Saki have some potentials of getting licensed in United States with a dub. Also, there is slow growing interest in mahjong in United States, but many of them are familiar with the Chinese and "dumbed down" variation (the "dumbed down" variation is located in your laptop or computer). It also a nice way to introduce the Japanese variation of mahjong as well.

Excuse me while I go running around squeeing like a girl with the idea of Hynden Walch voicing Koromo Amae. Razz
Vracer111

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I would love for Capeta to get even an English Subtitled R2 release. I doubt it will ever get an English subtitle release, and not to mention the complete series of the R2 Japanese release with only Japanese audio will run you $1,300.

But more likely to happen English subtitled releases I'm patiently waiting for are the Blu-Rays of The Girl who Leapt Through Time and 5 Centimeters per Second. I can't believe Summer Wars will be released on Blu-Ray before those 2... and who knows if 5 Centimeter per Second will get an English Subtitled Blu-Ray release in the near future because of the Japanese reverse importation concerns... Mad A release at Japanese prices (like Jin-Roh, Freedom, and Yukikaze) would be fine with me.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
Someone release Detroit Metal City and Gag Manga Biyori already. They're five or fifteen minutes each and could be released for cheap as all hell. I'm pretty sure SOMEONE out there in the anime community would eventually say "this is cheap, I'll buy it".
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, well I'm not sure where to start so I'll begin with Yuasa.

Tatami Galaxy-I feel this show has the broadest appeal to anime fans, but that doesn't mean that Yuasa didn't add his touches to make it unique. It's a great interconnected and succinct story, and I enjoyed watching it.

Mind Game-Other than the recently passed Satoshi Kon, I feel Yuasa can really capture the surreal and still combine it with reality in some weird and twisted way. I absolutely loved this movie.

Kaiba-This series blew me away when I watched it. Not only is the animation unique, but it's littered with social commentary and some touching vignettes. The conclusion was a bit of a let down, but it's hard for something to be perfect.

Kemonozume-While this is probably the rawest of Yuasa's work, I can still appreciate the narrative and characters.

Minami-ke-This show is probably the closest to Azumanga's successor that I've crossed. Yeah, it's not the same feel, but it's still a bunch of everyday comedy wrought because of the distinct characters interacting with eachother. I don't care if Okawari or Okaeri get licensed but the first season by Daume (who are tragically underused though doing a great job with Shiki thus far) is something that I must own.

Eve no Jikan-The movie that was just recently released that encapsulates all the ONA episodes along with a few extra minutes to provide smoother transitions is a work of independent animation brilliance. Social commentary, humor, touching stories (for an old outdated robot of all things) and more can be found in this story. I have almost bought this so many times on CD Japan but I hold out hope that somehow a version with the official English subtitles (provided by Directions/Studio Rikka themselves!) will come out. It would make it so much easier if somebody just licenses it here.

Hunter X Hunter OVA-The Hunter X Hunter TV series ending is not very conclusive. Kurapika is still hunting the Phantom Troupe/Spiders and Gon still looking for his dad and all. Well, the first follow-up OVA closes the book on one of those. I'm not too adamant on Greed Island and GI:Final being brought over, but dangit, I want that first OVA.

Nodame Cantabile-This show crosses gender boundaries and can be enjoyed by just about anyone, particularly if they have taste for classical music. I showed this in my anime club last semester and everyone groaned the first time they saw the OP, but by the end of just the first episode, they were unanimous in saying that they wanted to see more. I'd like Paris Chapter and Finale to come over as well, but the first season ends somewhat well enough to stand on its own, and I think it's by far the best of the three.

Hantsuki-This is just a short 6 episode series depicting two hospital patients and a slowly budding romance. Of course, there's a crazy nurse who provides a ton of comedy and a few dashes of action. It's short and sweet, and something I enjoyed immensely. I'd love to own it, but I'm not holding my breath for this one.

Cross Game-Viz is currently streaming it, but I'd love to own it on DVD. Mitsuru Adachi has a gift at taking the same character designs and even some of the same plot as previous stories but still weaving a sympathetic and heartfelt tale. I'd also love to own Touch, but yeah... that's not gonna happen.

Futakoi Alternative-I hold that this anime holds the title of "Most Bizarre and Completely Insane Opening Episode". It continues in such zaniness for a few more episodes before starting a somewhat somber story, though throwing in chaos every now and then when laughs are required. Seriously. If y'all haven't seen the first episode: watch it. It's insane. And I love it.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes-I'm still slowly wading through the first OVA series (I'm in the 40s), but I can already tell that this is one of the most well thought out and planned anime series ever. I've enjoyed all the political intrigue and wartime strategy, and I'm sure I'll continue to enjoy it as I get further in the story. Of course, due to its age and length, I realize that it will most likely never be licensed. A guy can dream though.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:49 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Heroman(either Viz, Bandai or 4 Kids): This show has the potential to be a big hit with kids, and was built from the ground up with an English dub. I would like to see Viz or Bandai get it since they could get Bang Zoom to dub, which would allow for Stan Lee to voice his character. I could also see 4 Kids picking up this series, since it's kind of thing they'd need on Toonzai to bring in the ratings. They'd also market the crap out of it,

Why would Viz only allow for Stan Lee to voice Stan Lee?

Also, my pick would be Shugo Chara, and by Funimation. Or whatever the hell ADV is calling themselves these days.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:16 am Reply with quote
[quote="Rukiia"]
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

I actually been wondering about this. Is it possible for people in the UK to buy a Region 1 DVD player and hook it up to their TV? Or are there some crazy types of cable hook ups that prevent you from doing that? Razz

I always been curious about this so if you can fill me in that would be great.

Some of my friends buy quite a lot of Region 1 and Region 3 DVD's, and use a software on their laptops to override it, I dont know how (il)legal it is, but I guess that's one way out. Otherwise than that, sine Im technologically challenged, I cant say much more than what has already been said above:) At one point I might just have to invest in region free player, since my wishlist for stuff to get done for Region 2 is quite long, although more and more things get released (big yay for Baccano! release in October).
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:23 am Reply with quote
Nodame Cantabile - This anime resurged my interest in classical music. I blew through this show in about 2-3 days and was hungry for more. Nodame is one of the most interesting characters I've seen in awhile.

Bakemonogatari - Surprised no one has mentioned this yet. Absolutely loved this show, one of my favorites of 2009. Great dialogue, loved the story, and couldn't get enough of Senjougahara. I'd also like to see the changes Shaft made during the dvds/bd + apparently a fight was taken out completley? Last rumor I heard about this was the makers or whoever were asking for very high figures for licensing.

Minami-ke - very nice slice of life/comedy/moeish show. Very relaxing to watch and rather similiar to Azumanga, Ichigo Marshamaro and so forth. I also really enjoyed Inoue Marina and Chihara Minori's respective roles.

Mobile Suit Gundam (The Original) - The last I have heard is that they plan to offer this up for licensing... but not yet o.o? As for now I guess we have to settle for the compilation movie.

Detroit Metal City - As many others have mentioned this show was hilarious. It's also very short.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm a dub fan, so I'd love if everything on my licensing wish list also gets one. In no particular order:

Zombie-Loan - I've been jonesing for a release of this since I saw it last year. I love the premise: the lead girl has "shinigami eyes" that let her see when somebody will die soon. Due to this skill, she gets drawn into working for a company that hunts zombies. Complications ensue. The poor girl gets abused by her two bishie companions (but of course they actually like her). Some decent fan service and humour. The one drag thing is that it is 13 eppies long and the series has a natural ending point by eppie 11, but there were two OVAs made which started a really cool story arc, but unfortunately no more have been made and it is not clear any more WILL be made. Drag. In any case, given the omnipresence of zombies these days, this seems like a natural pick-up. Sentai already has HofD, so maybe Funi?

Bakemonogatari - after seeing the original Japanese TV broadcast of this series, I'd love to see the final, "sweetened" animation that would come with a release. Definitely one of my favourite offerings of 2009, enlivened by one of the most memorable female characters in quite some time: the divine, stapler-wielding Hitagi Senjougahara. I call it the anti-Clannad because the show seems to be a perverse take on that style of "dude helping broken girls" thing.

Lovely Complex - along with Toradora!, this show tops my "school comedy romance" list. In fact, I kind of put Lovely Complex slightly ahead of Toradora! because it handles certain aspects more realistically, which is often rare in a school rom-com. Still can't quite figure out why this one hasn't been snapped up yet, but I'd love to see it done.

Kimi ni Todoke - you can definitely argue that this is a school rom-com as well, but to me the comedy wasn't as overt as Lovely Complex or Toradora! But it had a very sweet tone and I loved the female lead, Sawako, who unfortunately bears a physical resemblance to Sadako from The Ring. I adored it and will happily punch a stranger in the face if it doesn't get picked up in a timely fashion

Skip Beat! - wow, I just noticed my list is heavily weighted towards the comedy side of things. All of them so far, including Skip Beat!, have comedy of one sort or another. Skip Beat! features another of the plucky heroine types I like. She gets ditched by her rising star douche-bag of a boyfriend and vows to get revenge by becoming a bigger star than him. The show features one of my favourite lines (which I'm putting in spoiler tags in case you haven't seen it and want to experience the line in its original glory): spoiler["If saying sorry helped anything, there wouldn't be a need for Hell!"]

So those are my top five. In the category of "No Way in Hell This is Getting a R1 Release" we have...

Seikon no Qwaser - let's see, we got a 13-year-old boy slurping on big ole tittays every half-second or so and if that isn't enough for you, we got a loli being kissed on her...well, this is a family-rated site, so use your imagination. I was surprised that Funi picked up the much tamer Dance in the Vampire Bund, but I would be absolutely floored if Qwaser got tapped. Delighted. But floored.

In the "Guilty Pleasures" category, we have...

Koihime†Musō and its two sequels: Shin Koihime†Musō and Shin Koihime†Musō: Otome Tairan. I liked the first series best, the other two tend to demonstrate the Law of Diminishing Returns, but were still fun. The Three Kingdoms mythology (which seems the basis for, like, 40% of all anime) re-worked with the legendary heroes as chicks.

Asura Cryin' 1 & 2 - A lot of people didn't seem to like this title, but I did even though it did sort of stumble, exhausted, to the finish line. I liked the governing mechanics of the mecha, especially the need for them to be powered by a "ghost."
Cabal17

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
As a Macross fan I'd love to see Macross Zero, 7, and Frontier all released state side even though its highly unlikely for most of them.

I'd also I like to see Battle Programmer Shirase, but its a few years old, bombed in Japan, and is very niche. I really got a kick out of the ridiculous hacking and how self-aware it became towards the end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Seconding Den-noh Coil (or however it's spelled these days), Time of Eve (I've got higher hopes for that one now since it got turned into a movie and a movie is probably easier to sell then six OVAs), and for bringing Cardcaptor Sakura back. As for the others, and I honestly don't care if any of these have a dub or not:

Aoi Hana: C'mon rightstuf, you already have a fanbase with Marie Watches Over Us, you could totally make a short and sweet story of girls finding love in both genders sell!

Natsume Yujincho Little worried since Viz has the manga for this and that seems to mean they get the anime as well but I would love for anyone to grab this one. I love how it's a simple slice of life yet has an overarching theme in the end (and all the traditional Japanese spirits were pretty cool).
Library Wars: For some reason the idea of librarians actively fighting to protect people's rights plus the fact that the laws they face are based almost word-for-word on an old Japanese law made me eat this up. Plus it's a noitaminA series so Funimation may be building up a fanbase for those sorts of anime.
sonicdahedgie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I really wish Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei would be dubbed. It requires you to read so incredibly fast to catch everything, it actually suffers from only having a sub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13