• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Licensed/dubbed anime - wishlist?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricDent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Sorry about the previous post, I guess I was not paying attention to the announcements back then.

Wonder if they can get Hillary (or at least borrow her) from Sentai for that Panty & Stocking show.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
But anyway, my list right now of things I really want dubbed...

- Panty and Stocking
- Tiger and Bunny

These two are getting dubbed.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Woah wait PSG IS getting dubbed? Colour me surprised.

Haven't really decided who my dream cast for that is just yet, but I do hope they get Laura Bailey to play Stocking. My favourite VA as my favourite character, can't go wrong with that. ♥

And wow, was Tiger and Bunny ever picked up fast. Good to know something like that is being licensed, it sure as hell deserves it.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
^
EricDent Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:49 am wrote:
Panty & Stocking has not been licensed that I know of.
Rukiia Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:42 am wrote:
Yes it has. Funimation licensed it in the Spring (there is an ANN article about it). It is due out sometime in 2012.

Might want to read the recent posts in the thread. Wink

Last edited by Rukiia on Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
Oh, don't even pretend that fanservice isn't one of the main draws of the series. Nearly all its promotional artwork is fanservice, and no one had anything good to say about it until the second episode when not one but two characters explosively lost clothing, then people immediately started praising it.

On a side-note, someone really needs to inform Square about the show's blatant Chocobo ripoffs, that can't be legal.

Actually bird-horses come from a long and proud tradition of Japanese media, which stretches back even further than Final Fantasy. I believe Nausicaa was the first prominent work where bird-horse-things played a big role, and Final Fantasy poached from it to create Chocobos, but I might be wrong?

As for license rescuing, I'd say Dennou Coil if it was not for the fact that it has been licensed in Australia (which is amazing news frankly!) A more affordable version of Kara no Kyoukai would be great too, although I'm won't get my hopes up.

Also, somebody better license Mawaru Penguindrum at some point, or people across the world will be forced to drown in their sorrows as they listen to the Triple-H ARB tribute album on repeat. Although I guess that since it's an Ikuhara series (and thus automatically special) it has more of a chance of being picked up in the US then, say, Dennou Coil.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Come to think of it, I also recall reading that Nintendo is considering having the Animal Crossing movie dubbed, so that's another dub on my wishlist that may become reality. Of course, until I see an official statement, I won't get my hopes too high.

yamata no orochi wrote:
Actually bird-horses come from a long and proud tradition of Japanese media, which stretches back even further than Final Fantasy. I believe Nausicaa was the first prominent work where bird-horse-things played a big role, and Final Fantasy poached from it to create Chocobos, but I might be wrong?

Depends--when did Nausicaa come out? Because Square was working on Chocobo designs during FF1's development in like 1985-86 or so, and they apparently drew inspiration from the Chocoballs mascot Kyoro somehow. Either way, the bird-horses in Dog Days are such a blatant ripoff of Chocobos, I'm surprised they didn't go ahead and flat-out call them Chocobos.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Depends--when did Nausicaa come out?

Nausicaa came out in 1984. The manga came out in 1982. Also mother nature could sue them all. It is a blatant ripoff of an idea that people could ride big birds like ostriches or prehistoric birds who were even bigger and some of whom bear quite a lot of resemblance to horseclaws and chocobos.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
Oh, don't even pretend that fanservice isn't one of the main draws of the series. Nearly all its promotional artwork is fanservice, and no one had anything good to say about it until the second episode when not one but two characters explosively lost clothing, then people immediately started praising it.

I'm not going to argue with your stupidity. I simply invite anyone who wants to know which of us is right to watch for themselves and see how much "fanservice" is in this series. And your lesbianism comment - well, that's just out and out insane, but hey - nobody has to take my word for it. Simply watch the show yourselves and see.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
TheSwedishElf wrote:

I'm not going to argue with your stupidity. I simply invite anyone who wants to know which of us is right to watch for themselves and see how much "fanservice" is in this series. And your lesbianism comment - well, that's just out and out insane, but hey - nobody has to take my word for it. Simply watch the show yourselves and see.
When shimapan-chan's clothes exploded I abandoned all hope for Dog Days. Not that it was meant to be taken seriously in the first place, but that show is practically nothing but fanservice (of various types; mind you, "fan service" is not limited to skimpy/missing clothes).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Blood- wrote:
TheSwedishElf wrote:

When shimapan-chan's clothes exploded I abandoned all hope for Dog Days. Not that it was meant to be taken seriously in the first place, but that show is practically nothing but fanservice (of various types; mind you, "fan service" is not limited to skimpy/missing clothes).

I'm talking specifically about "skimpy/missing clothes" fanservice, as is, I assume, TheSwedishElf (not to mention rampant lesbianism, apparently Rolling Eyes ). Again, nobody has to take my word for it, but I can assure any horndog (pardon the pun) who goes running to the show expecting lots of sexy time is going to be bitterly disappointed.

I hope a person, like myself, who has actually watched the entire series eventually wanders by.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm talking specifically about "skimpy/missing clothes" fanservice, as is, I assume, TheSwedishElf (not to mention rampant lesbianism, apparently Rolling Eyes ). Again, nobody has to take my word for it, but I can assure any horndog (pardon the pun) who goes running to the show expecting lots of sexy time is going to be bitterly disappointed.

I hope a person, like myself, who has actually watched the entire series eventually wanders by.
Well, definitely, I agree that the show is not about sexy fanservice. It's all about the cute fanservice. Kemonomimi, subservient cute girls, blushing, occasional panty flashes, and so on. It's not Queen's Blade, but saying Dog Days isn't out to provide fanservice is completely false.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
You may have 20 million different types of fanservice, but it was obvious what kind of fanservice The SwedishElf was talking about and what type most posters mean when the use the term "fanservice." I already mentioned the cute factor. That's clearly not what TheSwedishElf was talking about. Again, you are not a person who has watched the entire series or even much of it, so you really don't have anything of value to add to what The SwedishElf and I were talking about.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
(not to mention rampant lesbianism, apparently Rolling Eyes ).

Point out when I said it was "rampant", rather than simply stating it's there. Go on.

Veers wrote:

Which there's lots of, btw--clothing loss becomes a pretty common theme. See, the characters never get hurt in battles, and female characters in particular lose clothing as a subsitute for being injured. And I'm gonna be blunt here, anyone who says this is for any reason other than audience titillation is a naive fool.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
Blood- wrote:
(not to mention rampant lesbianism, apparently Rolling Eyes ).

Point out when I said it was "rampant", rather than simply stating it's there. Go on.

Veers wrote:

Which there's lots of, btw--clothing loss becomes a pretty common theme. See, the characters never get hurt in battles, and female characters in particular lose clothing as a subsitute for being injured. And I'm gonna be blunt here, anyone who says this is for any reason other than audience titillation is a naive fool.

1) There is no lesbianism. At all.

2) The exploding clothes thing happens maybe three times over the course of the entire season. To say it is a pretty common theme is an outright lie. And how would you know anyway? How many episodes did you actually watch?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It's actually pretty easy (although I managed to screw up the first time I tried it Embarassed ). Look over at the right hand side of the page - see the box that says Quantity: 1? Click on the button right below that. From there, you should get enough English instruction to guide you through.

Good luck!

You can also:
Go to that link. Click on the "Amazon.jp" logo in the upper left corner of the page. This takes you to the main page. In the top left in tiny text it says "in English" click that. It turns some of the site into English. It's helpful but also fails you at points. Go up to the search box and type in "Eve no Jikan" or "Time of Eve" and hit enter. Then look 5-7 items down and you will see the one Blood- and I have. The picture shows Sammy with the red ring on her head and a white background. On the page for that item there is button below the quantity box on the left side of the page which for some reason is not translated but that is the "Add to Cart" button. Clicking that should take you to a page with some English buttons click on the "proceed to checkout" button. From there if I remember correctly you get enough English to be able to place the order. You will probably have to create a new account even if you are/were a user of another Amazon incarnation first but the disc is definitely worth the hassle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13