• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Earthsea Ends U.S. Run with US$48,461

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote
I was pretty surprised when I got to see it at the cinema back in 2007. It played at the Aberystwyth Arts Centre, of all places! Subbed, too. I found it really disappointing, though. Still, it felt great to be able to show my support for the studio.

- Pips
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
During its last weekend, the theater made US$589.
Bleeh! That's hardly enough to pay the Janators to clean the seats of popcorn, but I imagine not many seats got dirty anyway. Well at least it did better elsewhere. Rolling Eyes
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quote
What kind of numbers should we expect to see from Funimation's announced distribution of Summer Wars in theaters this fall? Another five screens nation-wide?

I live near Boston and was surprised that Earthsea wasn't screened here. Other than New York, it was only shown on the West Coast and in Hawaii. Perhaps a subtle presumption on the distributors' part that only cities with substantial Japanese or Asian populations would be interested in this film?

I thought walw6pK4Alo's comment about the Oscars was especially canny. That sounds like a plausible rationale for such a measly effort at distribution and promotion.
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:36 am Reply with quote
I think this film really suffered from a few problems which kept it to be successful in the US. The first is obviously the fact that it was only shown in a handful of theaters. It seems like they completely blew off this film because it was not a Miyazaki film (my assumption). Second, there was little or no advertising for the movie in the first place means that most people are unaware that it is even playing in theaters. And lastly, the long wait between the Japanese and American release means (unfortunately) that most people have already seen it through other mediums.

I missed it simply because I had no time to see it. But when I mentioned it to some of my fellow Anime aficionados I got responses like, "never heard of it," or, "hasn't that been out for a while?" I hope that the film does better in terms of DVD sales, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:44 am Reply with quote
Leon Evolon wrote:
I think this film really suffered from a few problems which kept it to be successful in the US. The first is obviously the fact that it was only shown in a handful of theaters. It seems like they completely blew off this film because it was not a Miyazaki film (my assumption). Second, there was little or no advertising for the movie in the first place means that most people are unaware that it is even playing in theaters. And lastly, the long wait between the Japanese and American release means (unfortunately) that most people have already seen it through other mediums.

It's just the same old game. It comes down to mis-opportunities and avenues to explore but they don't want to take any risks at all.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:00 am Reply with quote
I'm another one who didn't like the movie. Mostly because of how weak and poorly written it was, and not just for a Ghibli. That's the important thing here; it was a poor movie period. I was left really disappointed, and wanted my money back. I could have bought something else, but now I can't even give the (expensive) DVD away. Just goes to prove that though Goro may have had his father's company doing the pretty art, actual directorial talent is not automatically hereditary. Sure, first film and all that, but there doesn't seem to be much promise in it.

Still, such a pathetic figure like that is a little saddening, although the movie did do alright on a "per screen" basis.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote
Leon Evolon wrote:
It seems like they completely blew off this film because it was not a Miyazaki film (my assumption).

To be fair, it actually was a Miyazaki film. Razz
GhstDreamer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Leon Evolon wrote:
It seems like they completely blew off this film because it was not a Miyazaki film (my assumption).

To be fair, it actually was a Miyazaki film. Razz

Just not the right Miyazaki.

Funny thing is I watched this movie and enjoyed it - enjoyed it more than the horrid piece called Ponyo.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote
GhstDreamer wrote:
Funny thing is I watched this movie and enjoyed it - enjoyed it more than the horrid piece called Ponyo.

Ponyo was aimed at five year-olds, unashamedly so. You can't compare (except on a technical level) to other Miyazaki works like Spirited Away or even My Neighbor Totoro.
GhstDreamer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Spirited Away and My Neighbour Totoro and both movies were obviously targeted towards a very young audience as well. However my favourite Ghibli movies were never directed by Hayao Miyazaki - like Only Yesterday, Whisper of the Heart, Grave of the Fireflies and The Cat Returns.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2