• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Channel Adds High-Definition Feed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:33 am Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
now to add the channel to more networks..

Yeah. I know FIOS carries it in Texas and from some of their recent advertising it looks like Comcast might be picking it up but I don't know of anybody else that has it.

That would be great. Unfortunately, they can hardly get Comcast around here to update the VOD listing every week (all of which are still 100% SD,) so I think we are still quite a ways away from getting linear, let alone HD-linear.
Wag

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
FIOS carries Funimation SD channel but unfortunately they carry a few SD channels and not their HD counterparts (Cartoon Network, BBC, TCM etc). I've been asking for Cartoon Network HD for quite a while now.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:51 am Reply with quote
Too bad Time Warner Cable doesn't carry it.

The only one it carries is Anime Network VOD. Although it does usually has videos loaded on there weeks before they are posted on their website, but it's a somewhat limited selection. Although it sounds like I'm not really missing anything right now that I can't watch through Youtube, Hulu or Funimation's video site.
Manic_Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:29 am Reply with quote
Cosndering HD is moot compared to the actual quality of the program I wish Funimation would try and get the channel out to more tv providers.
JLightstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:03 am Reply with quote
When they announced stuff being added to Funimation Platinum from Comcast, I asked them about Verzion customers. They stated that the provider was going through an overhaul this month. I checked out their channel last night and saw they starting showing programming that had not been reran every single day. However, they are not showing up on the On Demand channel under " The cutting edge." I really wish they could provide the same content on various providers that has their channel instead this gap between each one.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:34 am Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Okay, this might sound like a dumb and totally unrelated question, but wasn't FUNimation's video site opened for Canadian viewers? I'm a collector so I usually buy hard copies of my anime, but I wanted to give streaming a shot... only to find out that they're using embed Hulu vids so it seems I'm all out of luck.... Was it always like this?

Funimation also maintains a YouTube channel. I don't know whether it's region-locked to the US as well though. I watch the Noitamina streams there because they usually have fewer ads than the Hulu feed.

http://www.youtube.com/funimation

I have FiOS with the SD Funimation channel. I strongly doubt we'll be seeing the HD version any time soon since there are a number of much more widely desired HD channels that FiOS still doesn't carry. Most cable and satellite providers are running out of HD channel space.

Last edited by yuna49 on Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:38 am; edited 2 times in total
jlaking

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:36 am Reply with quote
How many people here have called their television service provider about requesting the FUNimation Channel because if they do not know there is a demand for it, they will not provide the channel?
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:47 am Reply with quote
I know I don't have it yet where I live, but since I barely watching anything on VOD I probably won't use it unless they get some good shows on it, or if it's free. If I have to pay to watch those HD shows, I'll pass.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:37 am Reply with quote
DirecTV has to get this. I would watch TV more if Funimation was on.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this was a requirement to get it on DirecTV and Dish's regular lineup.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Kay, this is all fine and dandy but because the VoD service for Dish Network is utter crap and completely unorganized, I seriously need a channel instead of their on demand stuff.

Seriously Funimation, get the 24/7 channel on Dish already. ;-;
Wag

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Disappointing about FIOS but not unexpected. They haven't added a new HD channel for a while now. I'm sure Funimation HD is low on their priorities. Sad
archaron

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:31 pm Reply with quote
As far as Fios goes I would settle to them titling there shows correctly in there on demand section for Funimation.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:

That would be great. Unfortunately, they can hardly get Comcast around here to update the VOD listing every week (all of which are still 100% SD,) so I think we are still quite a ways away from getting linear, let alone HD-linear.

Are you referring to the Funi stuff on VOD, or ALL of Comcast VOD?

The first one I'll give you (they update every 2 - 3 weeks). The second is rather inaccurate (Comcast has been pushing HD and timely updates to their VOD market for most TV shows they've got licenses to show.
Wag

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote
archaron wrote:
As far as Fios goes I would settle to them titling there shows correctly in there on demand section for Funimation.
I'm not interested in SD, I barely watch any SD at all now that I have a HDTV. I wouldn't care if they got rid of all the SD channels to free up space for stuff like Funi HD.

Also, those damn .TV channels? Does anyone actually watch those? What a waste of bandwidth...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3