• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Channel Adds High-Definition Feed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:44 pm Reply with quote
OK, I'm a little confused. I have Verizon FIOS in North Texas, and I have Funimation Channel HD as part of their regular lineup, not VOD (as of Monday). From the posts on this thread it looks like FIOS doesn't have the channel implemented equally throughout its coverage area. Which sucks. Is that right?

Other areas seem to be spotty as well. If this is the case, then it seems to me that people need to get together with all their friends and start flooding their carriers with requests for the channel.

I'm wondering how much effort Funi puts into marketing the channel with other carriers.

Last edited by chefneer on Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
DirecTV has to get this. I would watch TV more if Funimation was on.

It's possible, but I don't think it's very likely unless Funimation is giving away the channel for free or paying services to air it. Channels with larger distribution like BBC America have been having trouble getting their HD feeds added, so it's going to be quite difficult for any extremely small channel like Funimation. Not to mention, when I had asked a DirecTV rep about it while sending up a channel request, they said there had been "virtually no demand" for the channel, but there had been a "significant number of requests" for BBC America.

I wouldn't mind seeing it added, but I doubt I would ever watch it. The only shows they have that I'm interested in, I already have on DVD and hardly watch them that way.
Wag

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:
OK, I'm a little confused. I have Verizon FIOS in North Texas, and I have Funimation Channel HD as part of their regular lineup, not VOD (as of Monday). From the posts on this thread it looks like FIOS doesn't have the channel implemented equally throughout its coverage area. Which sucks. Is that right?

Other areas seem to be spotty as well. If this is the case, then it seems to me that people need to get together with all their friends and start flooding their carriers with requests for the channel.

I'm wondering how much effort Funi puts into marketing the channel with other carriers.

You sure about this? I don't think anyone with FIOS has it in HD. They are just downconverting the HD channel to SD.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
You got me to wondering, so I called them. They did some checking and told me that the Funi channel feed to my house is HD. I was also told that it varies by area, which seems odd. I mean, I don't see why it would be in some areas and not others. It seems to me that it should be just as easy to implement it over their entire network, as in a few small areas. But I'm no expert in these things, so what do I know, eh?

The channel definitely looks better this week than last, so I'm going to believe that they didn't lie to me. I realize that may be a leap of faith, but there you are.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:
You got me to wondering, so I called them. They did some checking and told me that the Funi channel feed to my house is HD.... The channel definitely looks better this week than last, so I'm going to believe that they didn't lie to me. I realize that may be a leap of faith, but there you are.

If you watch a 16x9 show on Funimation (Soul Eater happens to be on right now here), is it letterboxed or full-screen? My FiOS system doesn't list an HD Funi at all. On the SD channel here, Soul Eater is letterboxed.

Cable operators don't offer the same package of channels everywhere. This is especially true for companies like Comcast or TimeWarner that bought up or merged with other operators over time. FiOS is more consistent since it was built out with essentially the same technology everywhere, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some differences in channel offerings especially between older and newer FiOS systems.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Soul Eater is letterboxed. Not really sure what that means, like I said, I'm not an expert in these things. I don't have a separate listing for Funi HD either, just the one for channel 262. I mentioned this to the rep and he wasn't concerned. It seems that if the feed from Funi is HD, Verizon will pass it through as HD except for areas where they don't, which still seems odd to me.

He also told me that just because Funi is providing an HD feed, it doesn't mean that every show they broadcast will be HD. If the show is in native SD, then Funi may upscale it to HD for broadcast, or not, and broadcast it in SD.

This SD vs HD business can get way more complicated than it needs to be, I think.
Wag

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:
Soul Eater is letterboxed. Not really sure what that means, like I said, I'm not an expert in these things. I don't have a separate listing for Funi HD either, just the one for channel 262. I mentioned this to the rep and he wasn't concerned. It seems that if the feed from Funi is HD, Verizon will pass it through as HD except for areas where they don't, which still seems odd to me.

He also told me that just because Funi is providing an HD feed, it doesn't mean that every show they broadcast will be HD. If the show is in native SD, then Funi may upscale it to HD for broadcast, or not, and broadcast it in SD.

This SD vs HD business can get way more complicated than it needs to be, I think.
You don't have it in HD. On Funimation's Facebook page they said that FIOS is just downconverting the HD feed.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
So the rep lied to me. That's nice.
Wag

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:
So the rep lied to me. That's nice.

Probably not "lied", more likely the rep was just ignorant. Not an uncommon occurrence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3