• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Dreams of Satoshi Kon: Chapter V - Beautiful Delusion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerbilx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
utawoutau wrote:
This is one of those shows where I actually get upset when people tell me that they love it.

I guess I just don't enjoy shows where someone has to explain to me after what it was that I just watched.

You could always just not have someone explain anything to you, and just think about it for a while. Or watch it again, and then think about it. You don't need to read Pat Rogers or whoever else to appreciate Gulliver's Travels.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote
All those people fretting about where to get a legal version for not too much money might want to look to the UK - it's still in print over here (from MVM) and is quite reasonably priced (£17.99 on Amazon.co.uk for the Complete Collection set or just a few pounds each for the individual discs).

One episode (the suicide one) has a minor edit (so minor I didn't even notice it until it was pointed out to me later) but otherwise it's identical to the old Geneon release).

utawoutau wrote:
This is one of those shows where I actually get upset when people tell me that they love it.

I guess I just don't enjoy shows where someone has to explain to me after what it was that I just watched.

You're upset that some people are cleverer than you are? Oh, well, I guess we should only ever watch the absolute lowest common denominator entertainment then, just to make sure nobody feels left out.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:

One episode (the suicide one) has a minor edit (so minor I didn't even notice it until it was pointed out to me later) ...

80-seconds cut says the A. Osmond book, which he refers to as "heavily censored" (pg 94) ... though he may have meant that in relation to the US Cartoon Network broadcast edit (which cut brief nudity). But after reading his description of the UK-cut scene, which was cut in its entirety, I can see why some might reasonably say it was a "minor edit."

For those interested who don't have the book or the discs: spoiler["... a blackly comic scene in 'Happy Family Planning' where a chirpily suicidal girl stands on a pile of rocks, puts a noose around her neck and starts bouncing up and down, chanting 'Swing, swing!'"]

On the other hand, GATSU's link to the 60-second-long Satoshi Kon film celebrating NHK's birthday was packed with information. And this is 80-seconds ...

Then again, when you only have one-minute to make your point, you've got to pack it with as much as you can.

I don't know ... I'm torn about it. If it were the only legit copy I could afford, I'd go with the UK. If I could afford to spend a bit more for the increasingly rare/expensive US version, as a total Kon-freak I'd probably want the unedited.

According to A. Osmond the extras in both sets of US and UK discs are identical, so there's nothing lost there.

EDIT: Moreover, as a Kon-freak and as a collector, I'd easily throw down 10 bucks for a "permanent," high-quality DVD of that 1-minute film I could add to my Kon-iverse (the other 14 artists and their 1-minute films naturally being a wonderful bonus). Though I'd be just as happy, or more so, to see it tacked on as an curiosity-type extra to a Blu-Ray release of MA or any of his other films.

Last edited by gartholamundi on Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
These Satoshi Kon articles have been pretty interesting, and despite the fact that I'm not a fan of Kon's works, they've convinced me to check out Tokyo Godfathers and Millenium Actress at some point.

But despite all of the praise his works get, all the ones I've seen so far have been really hit-or-miss for me. I absolutely HATED Paranoia Agent after seeing only the first episode and I have no desire to go back and finish the series. I still don't know what to think about Perfect Blue. It was just...wierd and made no sense at all. Paprika is the only Kon movie so far that I've actually somewhat enjoyed, it was strange, but interesting, and I liked the whole "going into dreams" concept.

Last edited by doubleO7 on Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote
gartholamundi wrote:
I don't know ... I'm torn about it. If it were the only legit copy I could afford, I'd go with the UK. If I could afford to spend a bit more for the increasingly rare/expensive US version, as a total Kon-freak I'd probably want the unedited.

The other option would be to buy three of the UK discs and one of the US discs - you'd have an unedited series and still save a lot of money.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
On a related side note, I was checking out Amazon for Perfect Blue, and I notice there are two different versions of the movie, one in blue packaging from 2000 and one in silver packaging from 2007. Does anybody know which one is better? In terms of extras, look of the film, etc...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
It's up there with the brain spins of 'Haibane Renmei', and 'Serial Experiments Lain' (gotta check those out one day).

Haibane Renmei I strongly recommend.

Serial Experiments Lain is a turd that thinks it's a diamond. It pissed me off from the first scene ("uploading" your mind to the internet would be making a copy of it! you still die!!) and by the time it got to ramblings about turning the Van Allen Belts into a permanent internet I realized it was jut throwing random ideas onto the screen and assuming we'd mistake "confused mess" for "really deep." Nor could I find Lain a particularly interesting character, since they crafted her to be somehow three different people... none of whom were really developed because it was all supposed to be "mysterious." I really hated that series. Laughing

Haibane Renmei, though, is really, really good. As is Paranoia Agent, though the two are quite different in tone.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
On a related side note, I was checking out Amazon for Perfect Blue, and I notice there are two different versions of the movie, one in blue packaging from 2000 and one in silver packaging from 2007. Does anybody know which one is better? In terms of extras, look of the film, etc...

They're almost exactly the same. The 2007 version is just the 2000 DVD in a silver slipcover. Aside from that, its the exact same disc as the old version. Personally, I would recomend the newer version, just for the extra slipcover. Manga re-released alot of their older movies like that afew years ago.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:

They're almost exactly the same. The 2007 version is just the 2000 DVD in a silver slipcover. Aside from that, its the exact same disc as the old version. Personally, I would recomend the newer version, just for the extra slipcover. Manga re-released alot of their older movies like that afew years ago.

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep that in mind.
alpha_beta_angel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote
My boxset of Paranoia Agent is staying with a friend on the other side of the world. I remember buying each single DVD over a period of weeks so to absorb the series I had eagerly awaited to purchase. I watched each episode several times to find new clues every time. I particularly enjoyed the episode that gave the viewer a break about the case and focused on urban legends, it featured Kon's signature gossipers and having an episode devoted to them was a nice change from the height of tension in the case.
I remember the comment made on the production that the opening theme was made to be brash and loud to perk up viewers for them to pay attention because this title was broadcast very late. And the ending showing them sleeping with a calming tune, to soothe the viewer, like "right it's over, go back to sleep." I think this was said on the commentary track on one of the DVDs. But just goes to show the thought and detail that was put into the overall product eh?
Stunningly unique.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote
Ed: Been a while since I saw the interview actually. Thanks.

I'm also (still) wondering if one of the animators for Mellow Maromi worked on Robot Carnival, because it has a similar chase scene.

doctor: I could swear that group suicide episode was inspired by some Looney Tunes thing, but I'm not entirely sure.

garth: It won't be. Unlike Honneamise, people actually like PA. Laughing

Quote:
a Kon film only made something like 1/100th (or less) of the money a Miyazaki film would regularly make. So, while there are a lot of international fans, it would take a publisher with serious grit to jump onto Kon's titles again.

That's for Japan. His stuff actually had a following in the U.S., hence why American trades are commenting on his death. Whether or not DW still has MA is the only thing holding that film from being rescued. Getting the rest of the library depends more on how the would-be licensor would want to market it. Would they dare to try to sell it PA the Best Buy crowd based on the recent blurbs, or would they keep it within the fandom family?

Oh, and I don't recall linking that short...

vash:
Quote:
Serial Experiments Lain is a turd that thinks it's a diamond.

Same with Kite. But they ended up getting more buzz than PB.

BTW, am I the only one who thinks Gus Van Sant was a fan of the show?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote
gartholamundi wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Paranoia Agent ... It's up there with the brain spins of 'Haibane Renmei', and 'Serial Experiments Lain' ... I've still been debating whether I wanted to add 'PA' to my collection...

IMO, all those are worth multiple viewings ... along with Kino's Journey they make up my favorites of the available anime tv series.

I'll do that. Next up Haibane Renmei. Kino's Journey is another I have to check out. I've heard good things about it.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
gartholamundi wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Paranoia Agent ... It's up there with the brain spins of 'Haibane Renmei', and 'Serial Experiments Lain' ... I've still been debating whether I wanted to add 'PA' to my collection...

IMO, all those are worth multiple viewings ... along with Kino's Journey they make up my favorites of the available anime tv series.

I'll do that. Next up Haibane Renmei. Kino's Journey is another I have to check out. I've heard good things about it.

they're definitely getting harder to find, so if you can snatch them up i sure would.

Haibane is the most gentle of the 4, but still has an interesting mystery which has more to do with setting and one's place in the world, etc. (i had to buy this series twice, due to a relationship breakup, and both times it was expensive to find disc 3.)

it's possible to argue Kino is more gentle than PA or Lain, even though there are scenes with guns, but Lain's creepiness really ratchets things up a few notches. Kino's episodic philosophies and wondering about cultures totally drew me in. personally I recommend the 2 OVAs available through fansubs (i don't know of another way to see the OVAs) as well recommend purchasing the series itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3