• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Laputa, Yamadas BD Confirmed to Have 6-7 Dubs, Subs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:32 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
Well, I this is Blu Ray so luckily this is the same region
The recent Nausicaa BD release was region-free, so these are likely to be too.

Japan and North America share the same region code, so you don't have to pray that a company will do a region free release. And quite a few BRD boxsets released in Japan are coming with either English subs or dubs (or both). It's a great time to be an importer if you have the money.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I can see myself buying these and Nausicaa as soon as tuition is payed. I'm so behind on my hobby. I miss having money.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
"The Dolby Digital 5.1ch English-dubbed version of the film (with Japanese subtitles) will be a separate video extra."

I wonder if the "separate video extra" would also play the English subtitle, for comparison purposes.

edzieba wrote:
A US release for Nausicaa has yet to even be announced. And I am happily paying 1.5x-2x the price of a US import for the overall quality of the JP release. A nice case, excellent master, and every audio and subtitle track you could hope for. For me, the only value a US import would bring is an english menu, at the potential detriment of the case quality, and potentially the video quality (it should be possible to just use the existing encode, but that actually happens with annoying rarity).

Since Disney is the same one making both releases, the chances are high.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:40 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
The only Ghibli film I would probably get on Japanese BD would be "Only Yesterday" just because the Mouse won't even do a limited release in the US. The TCM airing of that film happened months before I bought a decent DVD recorder and I regret not even doing a bare-minimum VHS recording of it!

I actually recorded that with my DVD recorder, though I had to get one of those EAS test deals happening during the showing.
edzieba

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:44 am Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
Japan and North America share the same region code, so you don't have to pray that a company will do a region free release.
However, for everyone who doesn't live in the US a region-free release is important, hence why I mentioned it.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Still no Kiki or Spirited Away...
mudduck454

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I might still grab this one, but I do have to wonder if, grave of the fireflies will get the blu-ray treatment, I have read that the R1 license might be expiring soon, I wonder if disney will scoop it up,

you cant have a studio ghibli collection without it, and if it only gets a japanese release, then I might as well just get the entire collection from japan, just so I can have matching cases that look great.

and what about the lupin the 3rd movie, that would have to be part of the collection as well.
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
...and what about the lupin the 3rd movie, that would have to be part of the collection as well.
Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro is available on BD in Japan but, it has no English subtitles or English dub. Sad
Unlike the rest of the Ghibli films, The Castle of Cagliostro (along with all other Lupin releases) is handled by VAP.

You can check it out at CDJapan, if you're interested.
Lapin noir

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
[…] (it should be possible to just use the existing encode, but that actually happens with annoying rarity).
??? From where I'm standing it happens with an annoying frequency. Japanese encodes are done with a different black level and colour temperature from that of both American and European TVs in mind, so when played on western TVs without special adjustment the colours are washed out and what should be black or white are dark or light grey. Ponyo being an example of this. And people who haven't seen the film in a cinema to know that something is wrong and don't know about black levels and colour temperatures get a skewed idea of what the film actually looks like, even coming to think that it's just Japanese taste that their films and TV tend to have that low saturation, washed-out look. I know I did, till I saw Ponyo in a cinema and on Blu-ray Disc soon enough after to notice the difference. But even that's sure better than what happened to the original, cel version of Ghost in the Shell, of course.
gartholamundi wrote:
[…] is it wildly cheaper to go with a UK or Australian Blu-Ray compared to the average Japanese "Itano Circus to your bank account?"
Yes. Yes it is. Quite a bit more expensive than North American releases (it's usually cheaper for us to import region 1s , postage costs included, than buy our own) but still wildly less than anything Japanese. I don't what they are in $s, but for comparison even the limited edition Blu-ray Disc package of Ponyo I got for £16 here, while the standard Japanese releases are approx. £37 for the DVD and £56 for the BD from YesAsia (that said, they are offering the same UK edition for £27.50, but it's not as if we can order Japanese releases from just anywhere there).
edzieba

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Lapin noir wrote:
Japanese encodes are done with a different black level and colour temperature from that of both American and European TVs in mind, so when played on western TVs without special adjustment the colours are washed out and what should be black or white are dark or light grey.
Other way around. NTSC maintains the old analogue hack of setting the black level to 15 (or 7.5 IRE), but PAL, SECAM, and NTSC-J (i.e. most of the world) use 0. BDs can use either (rec.709 was updated to allow full range use), and every non-el-cheapo player and display will have a 'full range' or 'super-white' option to allow correct display, and in most cases this will be corrected for automatically. However, 99% of the time greyed images are due to poorly calibrated TVs (brightness and contrast slammed up to full), not the source levels.
Quote:
But even that's sure better than what happened to the original, cel version of Ghost in the Shell, of course.
You mean the 2.0 "remaster", or that there are two different HD masters: the one used for the JP BD releases with a high bitrate but some notable blurring (and unnecessary overscan compensation windowboxing), and one that was broadcast on Hi-Vision prior to the BD release, without any windowboxing and slightly sharper, but at a broadcast bitrates (resulting in blocking).
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Lapin noir wrote:
Japanese encodes are done with a different black level and colour temperature from that of both American and European TVs in mind, so when played on western TVs without special adjustment the colours are washed out and what should be black or white are dark or light grey.

As edzieba said, this is the opposite of the actual situation. Japanese NTSC releases (i.e. DVDs, LDs, VHS) are darker, not brighter. With HD this is supposedly no longer an issue, though US releases are still often brighter than Japanese releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2