• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-09-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:26 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
On the topic of Tales of Earthsea in the UK; as far as I can remember it was a DVD only release back in '06. It did eventually air on our Channel 4's, Film4 digital channel a few times, but it never got a cinema screening as far as I'm aware

It did get a theatrical release in the UK, just not a very big one. It was shown at my local arthouse cinema.

I agree with you that it's not a bad film though - it's just kind of fair-to-middling (aside from the visuals, which are quite pleasant) and forgettable. I don't regret having bought it but it's not something I imagine I'll rewatch on a regular basis.
I too thought it was shown at the South Bank, or The Barbican, but I couldn't find any promos for it in the past.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

And seriously, you think fansubbers will take up with violent elements to protect themselves???

What I said seems entirely unreasonable because it would take a lot more restrictions to get to that point.

No, what you said seems entirely unreasonable because there wouldn't be enough money in it to motivate violent elements to get into it.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It means we are using Web 2.0 and are "synergystic." Are there too many y's in that word? I can't tell.

I believe the word you want is "synergistic".

--signed, Your Friendly Neighborhood Spelling Nazi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quote
For the anime English VAs being fan of anime. Greg Ayres and Yuri Lowenthal aren't the only one that are big fan.

Justin Cook: If any of you listen to ANN podcast with Justin Cook guest star. Justin has said that he watch a lot of anime and has acknowledge he like Cowboy Bebop (I believe he said he has all the episodes on his Ipod) and Strike Witches.

Stephanie Sheh: She has said on another ANNcastthat she likes Slam Dunk. I don't recall that if she watch other anime.

Johnny Yong Bosch: I believe he host AnimeTV along with Christina Valenzuela (who is also a VA and a anime fan).

Crispin Freeman: He wouldn't have become a VA if he wasn't exposed to anime like Speed Racer, Battle of the Planet, Voltron, and Robotech. He has acknowledged that on a interview. Freeman is also a big fan of anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Twilightmaster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:02 am Reply with quote
I like how Brian said I was the jerk for what I said for my opinion on the industry, lol. To be honest, I don't necessarily like the 13 episode format, but I think shows work better when there's an actual end in sight. I've lost interest in the shows like Naruto and Bleach that seem to go on for as long as the money will keep coming in. I'm a fan of a resolute plot and conclusion to said plot.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:29 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

It wasn't Funi's fault that the third Tenchi OVA was rubbish, blame that on Kajishima Masaki. Fair dues, Petrea Burchard was contacted by Funi at the time and asked to reprise her roll as Ryouko. She declined because of "Conflicting circumstances", in other words she was already doing other things then and couldn't do it. Funi couldn't wait until she was able to and substituted her instead, but at least they gave her the chance to decide. Give credit where credit is due. Wink

I'm going to use a musical story type analogy to explain this

back in 92, there was this promoter (Pioneer) who made this festival with a bunch of almost complete no name bands, the festival went perfectly with the time, and each of the bands had a following and success, but by far and wide, the showstopper, the main event, was a blue spiky haired lead with a gorgeous voice, for which 90% of the fans there adored and obsessed, and after there "final" tour and the promoter disappearing, it seemed like that was that, fast forward 5 years, a new up and coming promoter decided to bring the festival back, but before even signing the bands, hypes it to hell and back, "THE RETURN" all those fans get a rush of roaring nostalgia, now common sense and common business sense says this is a HORRID idea, you never promote what you don't yet have, but they go ahead, and everything is working out great as they sign each band on one by one, they get almost everybody back, and then, they find out the showstopper is working on something else, well this promoter (FUNimation) thinks "Pfft WE GOTTA GO GO GO, can't wait on you" the minute they did that, is the minute they nailed the final nail in that coffin, but what do they care right? common sense is taboo right? So they let everybody in that the showstopper won't be returning, and they are replacing them with a sound that is the exact opposite of what they love, whiny, annoying, the sound of a 15 year old boy, "But she sounds great and is still working on it", The festival starts, and after the first few nostalgia filled bands, the veil is cast out, this is a complete disappointment, all filler and no killer, and when the showstopper is supposed to come out, the one thing that might save the show? Utter disgust, it only adds to the disconnect of what used to be an almost perfectly magical festival

Moral of the story, they could have played it smarter, it could have been bearable, and I don't need 3 complete collections to say otherwise
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Twilightmaster wrote:
I like how Brian said I was the jerk for what I said for my opinion on the industry, lol. To be honest, I don't necessarily like the 13 episode format, but I think shows work better when there's an actual end in sight. I've lost interest in the shows like Naruto and Bleach that seem to go on for as long as the money will keep coming in. I'm a fan of a resolute plot and conclusion to said plot.

If I shuffle through my absolute top favorites, the majority are 26 episodes, and the only one that is 13 episodes was from a long running light novel series that got two follow-up 13 episode series and an OVA.

13 episodes is a bit short to establish the characters and also pursue a plot. Of course, that is part of the appeal of the 13 episode format to the production committees ... with it basically being a movie length story plus some side-story or back-story filler, there's far less need for a novel-strength plot. A short story sized plot will do. And there's far less risk to the distributor and the broadcasters, since if it succeeds then a follow-up can always be green-lit, while if it tanks, its the three month run and done.

I've never watched any of the long platform series except the Soul Society arc of Bleach, and don't feel any need to go past that,
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4