• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Have you ever read a Visual Novel? Why not?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cosign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote
A brief introduction... In my spare time, I work as a fan translator for visual novels. http://vndb.org/d6
Currently the project I am working on is called Katahane. tlwiki.tsukuru.info/index.php?title=Katahane

And so as a fan translator, I am overly curious. Have you heard of visual novels before? Have you played one? And most importantly, why not if you have not? A genuine question.

List of all translated visual novels to date:
http://translationlibrary.blicky.net..._vnlibrary.htm

My blog.
visualnovelaer.wordpress.com

Any comments appreciated.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:23 am Reply with quote
Wow, no one has ever answered this.

Yes, I have. Especially if you consider Clannad a Visual novel.

I would be very interested in what ones are available out there, and especially those that can be read on linux systems (web interface).
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:45 am Reply with quote
I have heard of them and played a few on game systems like the Nintendo DS. I know of some like Time Hollow, 999, and Disgaea Infinite.
maneki-neko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:31 am Reply with quote
visual novel is ADV and SLG ?
I like this.
"higurasi no nakukoroni" is my favorite game.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:50 am Reply with quote
@Cosign:

not exactly certain what a "visual novel" is; can only assume it's not manga.....
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:03 am Reply with quote
A visual novel is a computer game that plays like reading a novel. It has pictures and characters on screen (sometimes with voices and sound effects) with text overlayed on in a box for you you to read. Every once in a while you are offered choices that take the story in different directions. The most common genre for these is romance games or dating sims, though there's other genres as well.

Most of them all look somewhat like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/Kruszer/Untitled-1-1.gif

Personally I've played the first Higurashi no Naku Koroni game, the Ai Yori Aoshi game, Tsukihime, and Shuffle!. I also have Yojinbo lying around somewhere I haven't gotten to.
baniko45

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote
No, no and once again no Confused Maybe I'm a traditionalist but for me book is book, game is game and anime is anime. For me Visual Novel is a mix of all mentioned and I can't bear it.
nerriesantra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:43 am Reply with quote
I might, if it's about the anime I am interested in, LOL But ordinarily, I just stick to anime Wink
J3N0V4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:11 am Reply with quote
yes I play them on a regular basis, my favorite is Cross Channel, my first was shuffle, I'm currently playing Chaos;Head love chuchu, the continuation of chaos head with an emphisis on the piss take of the harem genre and Tomoyo After, the continuation of clanbad gollowing the tomoyo route in clannad. I generally try and play translated vns however I speak enough Japanese to get by and every now and then try and throw a few lines to the love plus translation project.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:32 pm Reply with quote
J3NOV4: are all of those available in English?
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I played 999 for the DS. The problem for me is that I have a Mac and most of the VNs I've seen are usually for the PC. Now, the DS ones I can play, but without being Mac compatible, it limits my options. I do enjoy reading and manga more than anime, so I'd play more if I could.
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Would it be too much of a problem to ask what visual novel that was in the link that Kruszer offered? I've played or read, depending on your opinion, several visual novels. I actually wanted to ask about that. Should I count those as novels that I've read? If you reread one with a different character path, is that another read through? I'm not familiar with 999 to be honest. Is that a Galaxy Express game?
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
@vashna
999 is a DS game with no relation to Leiji Matsumoto-verse. It's actually short for 9 hours, 9 persons, 9 doors. Aksys published it...I wanna say about a year ago now, here's Aksys's web page for it
As for other stuff, I'm new to VNs myself, but 999 does have 5 different endings, I can say that, not sure what counts as readthroughs, but on the plus side, you can fast forward dialogue in 999 and it'll stop automatically at new stuff.
NeumanProductions

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I have gone through many of ones in the PC VN concept, not typically a PSP, PS, DS player am I in cases such as these. I've also gone through many VNs that were created by small groups or at other times single writters and artists.

Many of my favorites dawn from "SCORE" or "NAVEL", I also like some of those that got created by "ZyX inc". The distibutors for these are typically G-Collections and MangaGamer for the translations.

So yeah, I get around, and enjoy them very much.
vashna

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quote
Ah, thanks for showing me the 999 web page link. I immediately thought Matsumoto, but I admit that's just me being a fan. Actually, most of the Visual Novels I've played have the dialogue forwarding option, though I won't use it if it has been a while since my last read through.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4