• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Have you ever read a Visual Novel? Why not?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordByron227

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Muv Luv Alternative.

Anime cry>
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
There aren't many visual novels marketed over here. I did play a fan made Death Note one...yaoi based one, but still a visual novel. This is something I wish Japan would market over here, I'm sure they could...just as long as it doesn't cost more than $20-30 a game.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:30 am Reply with quote
The thread is a bit old, I hope I can still post in this.

I would very much like to check out a few visual novels since I find the concept intriguing to say the least. What kept me from doing so was the idea of spending even more hours in front of my desk, staring at my screen. But now with all the tablet options, I wonder if you can read/play visual novels on tablets, and if so, what might be the cheapest tablet option available to read visual novels on? Because reading, to me, is lying on the couch/in bed/outside in a park and not sitting at my desk, too much of a work-feel.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:44 am Reply with quote
For a tablet, something Android-based would be my guess. Most Windows VNs seem to be keyed for low resolutions anyway, so the specs don't matter too much if there's anything available natively for or ported to the system(now, if you wanted to run one of the ones that's keyed for Winx86, that'd be a different matter).
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
The thread is a bit old, I hope I can still post in this.

I would very much like to check out a few visual novels since I find the concept intriguing to say the least. What kept me from doing so was the idea of spending even more hours in front of my desk, staring at my screen. But now with all the tablet options, I wonder if you can read/play visual novels on tablets, and if so, what might be the cheapest tablet option available to read visual novels on? Because reading, to me, is lying on the couch/in bed/outside in a park and not sitting at my desk, too much of a work-feel.

I hope nobody minds, but I don't. I keep tabs on this one to try to help folks.

You won't be able to read a visual novel in the Android or other reader environment until one is made for it, but if you have "Rooted" your android tablet, you could install Katawa Shoujo linux version directly on the OS, I think, and run it.

I used a laptop and a PC hooked to a TV (while sitting on my couch) to read Katawa Shoujo. Regardless I recommend that novel, since it is not badly done, absolutely free, and dual platform with Windows and Linux.
TheGrayGhost

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:18 am Reply with quote
Cosign wrote:
A brief introduction... In my spare time, I work as a fan translator for visual novels. http://vndb.org/d6
Currently the project I am working on is called Katahane. tlwiki.tsukuru.info/index.php?title=Katahane

And so as a fan translator, I am overly curious. Have you heard of visual novels before? Have you played one? And most importantly, why not if you have not? A genuine question.

List of all translated visual novels to date:
http://translationlibrary.blicky.net..._vnlibrary.htm

My blog.
visualnovelaer.wordpress.com

Any comments appreciated.

I know of visual novels, but I've actually never played one. Why? Because here in sweden, they have not released any, not that I of know anyway. But hey, if you have any to recommend, I'm all for trying! Very Happy

By the way, you should go into your profile and type in your site adress into the Website field to get a button to your blog below your messages on the forums.
SwerveCity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm reading Umineko at the moment. I've read F/SN, Tsukihime, Kagetsu Tohya and Katawa Shoujo.

I've also heard of an android app that lets you play TM stuff but I haven't really looked into it.
Ringking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I got into VN's through my love of Key and found that I really like them, so in the past few years I've read a fair few of them. My only issue with them is that they tend to be a little long for me, and I usually end up getting distracted by other things and not finishing them.

Finished:

- Kanon (surprisingly short, cant believe they got 24 eps out of it)
- Little Busters (my favorite)
- Umineko no naku koro ni
- Higurashi no naku koro ni
- Chaos;Head

In progress:
-Rewrite (Moon dinosaurs)

Plan to play (waiting on patches, I own both of these)
- Rewrite harvest festa
- Kud Wafter

On hold:
- Da Capo
- Clannad
- Da Capo II (why are the route in this so long?)
- Katahane (why are the flashbacks in this so long)
- Sharin no kuni, Himawari no shoujo

^ I really want to get back to this. As somebody who has studied criminal law, the take on the idea of criminal justice in this story is really rather fascinating, as well as my curiosity about the world of the story in general.

+ a few I'm not willing to admit to playing even behind a net alias. Some very screwed up things come out of Japan...
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
A few weeks ago, I finished reading Dangan Ronpa through the Something Awful LP. (Here in Israel, we don't got no paywalls.) I do firmly believe that Dangan Ronpa may be one of the best stories I have ever read. The plot is incredibly well-written, with twists and turns at every corner. Every character is interesting and fully developed, despite initially appearing as high school stereotypes. I definitely look forward to Dangan Ronpa's English-language release. I'll definitely put it on my wishlist for Hanukkah!

If one were to ask me what the best part of Dangan Ronpa is, it would definitely be the characters! It's clear to me that the creators had very interesting ideas about humanity. They execute this by taking high school stereotypes and either subverting or deconstructing them. For example, Chihiro Fujisaki (Super High School Level Hacker) represents the "moe" archetype. She's shy, soft-spoken, and completely adorable. However, it's later revealed that Chihiro was spoiler[actually a boy, who resented being weak and desired to be stronger. When Monobear threatens to reveal Chihiro's biological sex as a blackmail motive, he decides to go to Mondo Oowada in the hopes that he could become more independent, which ultimately leads to the former's death.] HOLY S**T.

Please, please, support the official release. I certainly will. Wink
Soliia

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I've played some shorter, linear ones (idk if you can even consider them as visual novels). I've played Planetarian, Phenomeno, Saya no Uta, and Narcissu. I've played some of Clannad, Little Busters, and Grisaia no Kajitsu, but I haven't completed them. It's harder for the longer ones to hold my attention, even if I do enjoy them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4