• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Launches Toonzaki Anime Streaming Site

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
They at least treat pokemon season 1-8 right.

Riceballs named as Doughnuts.

'nuff said.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

'nuff said.

Well dont give me wrong. I have serious doubts about them on anything at all and for goof reason, but They were at least given some credit for making the series (anime series) a new US addiction in the late 90's for all ages, and a good way to introduce anime to kids and possibly make anime fans out of them.

then unfortunately they got power hungry and start doing the same thing to every series that cried " kid material".

First was the yugioh series , which was mixed but was decent enough and it did made Yugi's VA Dan Green well liked to most for anime newbies , just like what pokemon did For Satoshi (Ash's japaneese name) VA Veronica Taylor. Also a successful TCG game helped too.

Unfortunately it's other licensed series gave it the worst co in histroy with it's destruction of one piece and shaman king.

Also what did you meant by "Riceballs names as Doughnuts"???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

'nuff said.

... Also what did you meant by "Riceballs names as Doughnuts"???

By coincidence, its right near the end of Marzgurl's Translation Terrors of 4Kids – Part Three

I'd never had the pleasure of watching a 4kids dub ~ they were a bit after my time ~ so watching Margurl's four part series has been a quick and easy catch up.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:26 am Reply with quote
I almost feel sorry for 4Kids. Here they are trying to do something good, although a bit redundant, but people continue to bash them. Good grief. OK, so the shows they had were marketed and localized for a demographic not your own. Get over it. That was then and this is now. At least One Piece was saved, uncensored and what not. As for the shows on Toonzaki... most of those aren't theirs and are not being hosted by them. They can't be censored unless they go on TV. And even then theres always the DVDs.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:34 am Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
I almost feel sorry for 4Kids. Here they are trying to do something good, although a bit redundant, but people continue to bash them. Good grief. OK, so the shows they had were marketed and localized for a demographic not your own. Get over it. That was then and this is now. At least One Piece was saved, uncensored and what not. As for the shows on Toonzaki... most of those aren't theirs and are not being hosted by them. They can't be censored unless they go on TV. And even then theres always the DVDs.

Again, it's too little, too late. They had their chances, and they blew it. Big time. Heck, when Al KHANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!! openly insults anime fans, all bets are off.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
... They can't be censored unless they go on TV. And even then theres always the DVDs.

The thing about "even then there's always the DVD's" is that if 4Kids gets a new license for a series for Toonzai, then even if there is a DVD release, it will probably lag the broadcast. And the internet cry me a river brigade only needs a small delay to build a new volume to the Legend of 4Kids.

But if they have rights to a series that they are broadcasting on Toonzai, it'd be straightforward for them to stream a sub of the series unedited and in original episode order on Toonzaki in advance of broadcast.

Obviously nothing will ever be enough for the cohort of fans who came of age in internet discussion groups discovering and then passing on the fact that 4Kids were engaged in animation edits, cuts and mis-translations. But 4Kids may be able to head off adding more fuel to the fire.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Again, it's too little, too late. They had their chances, and they blew it. Big time. Heck, when Al KHANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!! openly insults anime fans, all bets are off.

This is exactly why if being a hardcore anime fan means feeling upset and entitled over every little thing, I would rather be as casual as plain vanilla ice cream.

I'm not really understanding what you mean when you say, "It's too little too late, they had their chance?" Had their chance at what? Catering to an audience they never really intended in the first place? That's sort of why they're called 4Kids and not "4Animefans." I mean, yeah, it sucks they never had a completely faithful adaptation of Yugioh, Tokyo Mew Mew, Shaman King or whatever and their decisions aren't neccesarily right. But they aren't neccesarily wrong either.

They were just doing business. I have no problem with anime fans disliking the way they treated their shows. But where on earth do people get the mentality that 4Kids betrayed our trust or something, as if any anime title that is aquired by 4Kids or even any other company, is like giving your baby up for adoption and wanted the baby to be treated as idealized. Cater to what the anime fans wanted and only the anime fans wanted like they poured their heart and soul into making the show when all they did was watch it.

To me it becomes ridiculous when it's 2010 and many of us should've understood by now why 4Kids made the decisions they made, what their intentions were before and what they are now and people still bitch about business decisions from 5 years ago. People still damn the company for certain censroeship/edits that were blown way more out of proportion than neccesary. "OH MY GOD, they made Mr. Popo blue!" Okay so, buy the DVDs, watch the Nicktoons version, watch the fansubs or something. I also find it ridiculous when in 2010, there are alternatives to watching the original version of a show, the 4Kids versions is just the no-so-faithful version and people still think they "butchered" the entire show as a whole like that's the only version to watch or something.

Regarding the actual Toonzaki site, I will admit, it's an interesting site, though I'm not sure if I would visit it reguarly yet since I haven't seen anything uniquely exclusive to Toonzaki yet. Though I wonder, is adding another anime streaming service suppose to somehow help make anime more widespread to watch legally on the internet? For example, is Toonzaki sort of meant to help make it easier for people know where to watch episodes of Nabari no Ou or Soul Eater online in addition to Funimation, Hulu, Anime News network and Youtube?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
They were just doing business.

Just to diverge abit, lemme focus on One Piece.

In Japan, in addition to the manga and Anime, you got tons of merchandise. Pencils to Towels to, I dunno, Life-Sized replicas of Luffy. Here in the USA, 4Kids only had a toy prototype that never got off the ground. Where exactly was the "business" acumen of 4Kids with One Piece when they had a whole portfolio of goods they could sell??

If they were in it to make money, why did they drop the ball with One Piece?
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
They were just doing business.

Just to diverge abit, lemme focus on One Piece.

In Japan, in addition to the manga and Anime, you got tons of merchandise. Pencils to Towels to, I dunno, Life-Sized replicas of Luffy. Here in the USA, 4Kids only had a toy prototype that never got off the ground.

If they were in it to make money, why did they drop the ball with One Piece?

Well first of all, is this suppose to be a trick question? If I recall correctly, I bought Shonen Jump magazines from summer of 2006 (either the June or July volume) that had advertisments of merchandise from various anime shows, including One Piece when 4Kids still had it. There were advertisements for 2-3 One Piece video games, a card game and action figures I believe. They were short-lived, but I definitely remember there being more than a toy prototype.

But seriously, were you asking honestly for an informative answer or were you trying to make a point?
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
"OH MY GOD, they made Mr. Popo blue!"

To be fair, they chose a pretty amazing shade of blue. I see nothing actually wrong with changing the shade of Mr. Popo, since the original character design is so blatantly racist ... but the execution left a lot to be desired.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:

Well first of all, is this suppose to be a trick question?

You mentioned that 4Kids are in it for the money, so I posed that question.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:

Well first of all, is this suppose to be a trick question?

You mentioned that 4Kids are in it for the money, so I posed that question.

Ah okay, I think there was a misunderstand with my statement. I didn't mean they were doing business in the, "we're in it for the money" sense. Rather I meant in the, "this is simply part of our procedure we have to follow if we intend to target the 6-11 year-old demographic" sense. That's what I meant.

agila61 wrote:
To be fair, they chose a pretty amazing shade of blue. I see nothing actually wrong with changing the shade of Mr. Popo, since the original character design is so blatantly racist ... but the execution left a lot to be desired.

Well I was merely using an example as to how ridiculous these complaints can be sometimes. I mean, yeah it's a silly edit, but being a rage-a-holic to me is just as silly considering people know his original color and know various other ways to watch the show in which you can see his actual skin color. Again, it's like 2010 and I wonder why the anime fans still haven't bothered learning how to laugh these things off and just move on already.

I don't know if it's that's I have a pretty high tolerance for cheesy things or whatever, but personally I never found a reason to be upset about stuff like that. Personally I found that to be the most hilarious thing in my life. I'm not gonna be angry about that. Rather I'll just make a bunch of radioactive jokes. In fact I'll just look at a video of that, pause at the part where Mr. Popo asks, "Kami... is something troubling you?"

And then Kami will stare and I imagine he would say, "Popo... if you wanted some time off to see the Avatar film so badly, you could've just asked."
RagnaBloodEdge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:29 am Reply with quote
4Kids, can I have, Yugioh 5Ds DVDs, now? I've been waiting patiently. Anyways, I hope this works out for them. I don't have a problem with 4Kids.
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:23 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
"OH MY GOD, they made Mr. Popo blue!"

It's only racist if you yourself can't separate reality from fantasy. And most of the posters here cannot.

Oh and your skin is grey now that i see nothing wrong with it. You obviously didn't come from an era of heavy censorship. I'm guessing that why you are fine with an altered product. China would love you.
themasterc1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
For the people bitching about 4Kids edits:

1. The edits are made by the networks and the FCC (for broadcast networks only), so some of the things you guys are blaming 4Kids for is not their faults.
2. The Dragon Ball Z Kai Toonzai edits are made by FUNimation, the networks, and the FCC. 4Kids only has the broadcasting rights to DBZ Kai, so why are people blaming 4Kids for someting that isn't their fault?

For the people bitching about Toonzaki:

Toonzaki offers UNCUT anime, so 4Kids can't do anything with it. I don't know why you guys would think they would do something to it.

Anime fans, please act like you have some goddamn sense and a brain for crying out loud. Damn!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5