• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Super Manga Pals

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahab

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Excellent show guys! Thanks a lot!

It was great to hear Deb and Ed share their experiences with manga and what it means to them.

I just have one thing to say though....
60 posts and NOBODY commenting on the mention of the Legend that is Mizuki Shigeru??!

I reeled back in amazement when Ed and Deb started talking about him, his past and the infuriating lack of English publication of his works (most notably Gegege no Kitaro)

Thanks you guys, I'm so glad you spoke about him and enlightened a few more listeners to this wonderful mangaka that has been so horribly neglected in the west! Bravo!!
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
First of all: Congratulations, Robin! Justin, remember: you. aren't losing an annoying sibling, you're gaining a new one! (No, really, brother-in-laws have their uses. Heh. Wink)

I love this podcast! It made me feel like I'm part of an elite set, since I'm a big manga fan/manga blogosphere reader and commenter/I could recognize all those people Deb name-dropped!

Loving manga's a no-brainer for me. I've been reading comics since...well, probably since before I could read, so once I got into anime, it didn't take much for me to look at the other titles in the graphic novel section of the library. One of the first things I saw there was Ranma 1\2, and I was in love. Been reading manga ever since.

I guess I can understand those who didn't like comics/sequential art before becoming an anime fan and still don't read much manga. I don't get why those who *like* reading the form don't read. If you live in the United States, chances are, there's a library near you that can show you how to get any title currently available in English through an inter-library loan. I recently got my hands on all five volumes of Planetes through the program. I couldn't buy them if I wanted to, so I'm very thankful (and sad, since I had to *sigh* give them back Sad).

One of the obvious benefits of reading the manga version of your favorite anime, besides getting a taste of the source material, is pacing. Sometimes a good story is just poorly adapted into an anime because of horrid pacing, which you can control (for the most part) when you read the story. There are definately titles that have a superior manga form: Fruits Basket, Kekkaishi, and Voices of a Distant Star (yes, I know the latter is an adaptation of an original movie, and not the other way around. Still think it's better!)

As for responding: you manga bloggers don't tend to have message boards. Deb, does your site even have a comment system at all? I comment when I have something to add or contribute, but I can never be sure that what I write is being read. I love the discussion posts, like Melinda & Michelle's "Off the Shelf" (sp?) and the ongoing Nana Chronicals discussions, because they really tend to get into the meat and symbolism of the manga titles they discuss, rather than simply reviewing a title or volume. I twitter, but rarely get a tweet back (I'm Ahavah, or Ahavah22 out there, y'all).

This podcast would make a great drinking game, btw. Just down a shot every time Ed says "Pluto"! Wink

Now let's all work on getting Mizuki's GeGeGe no Kitaro licensed! Yeah! Also, let's start selling illeagal copies of '70's Shojo in English! Laughing
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
As for responding: you manga bloggers don't tend to have message boards. Deb, does your site even have a comment system at all?

Definitely. Click on "comments" under an article, and you can read comments that have been left, or leave one of your own.
cetriya

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

And lots of potshots at Reborn...not that I don't think it deserves it. The first 10 or so books are just so, soul-crushingly bad int terms of lame comedy, that even though it arguably takes a term for the better (if some what more generic) later on, it's just not worth it in my opinion.

the lame comedy was the only thing that I liked about it at first. it was simple read to get chuckles...

and then the generic tournament/battle story line reskin really turned me off. last chapter I read was 250, checked the recent chapter and now they have magical rings and stuff..

so the twilight manga didn't sell enough? guess there's a limit to how much mass media fans will consume things. bad lettering/layout a side, I did find it weird that fans kept buying the same story over and over again. since the story ended her being really powerful (wouldnt know dont follow series) why not just continue it?

20th centry boys is one of those manga I will not read because of the unfortunate accident that made the mangaka kinda lose site of the story. I dont want to read something, get hooked on it so badly then watch is slowly go down..
ewsizemore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:55 am Reply with quote
Ahab, The more I learn about Gegege no Kitaro, the more desperate I am to get that series in English.

Agent355, I can't condone such an activity. I care about your liver and would hate to see it ruined. Plus, you would have to be sitting in a large, well-stock liquor store to even have a chance of finishing that game. So if not your health, then think of your wallet. Wink

Also, Deb's and my websites do have comment sections for each review. We both are very conscientious to respond to comments. And that's true for every manga reviewer I know. We love feedback and we love the oppurtunity to talk further about manga with anyone. Don't believe then search for 'manga' on twitter and see how much we love to talk.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5