• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Vampire Hunter D Novel 11

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
It seems you mistook Kikuchi for Amano in the third paragraph. Also, the name of Conan's creator is Robert E. Howard.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Fixed, thanks.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Well this review doesn't fill my heart with glee. I've been reading the novels myself (on #8 now personally) and I must say if you've read the first few you've read them all. They do become predictable by in large. I still enjoy them a fair deal as I like D and I love reading about the futuristic landscapes. But, the stories are getting a bit stagnant. I'm sad to see that apparently that little issue has not been improved upon by the 11th novel. Oh well. They still make for a nice lazy Sunday afternoon read.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:05 am Reply with quote
That is one problem with Kikuchi's style really... It is a bit heavy, and its brightest side are the describions of places/objects rather than characters. And since D is so amazing, you know that no matter how much trouble he is in, he will always win, and the bad guys will end up in pieces.

Yet, I still enjoy reading the novels, primarily because of the atmosphere they create- kind of sentimental, slightly heart-breaking, melancholic.

This one is maybe not the best example, but I can think of a few other ones that despite linear plot still magaged to really make me sit on the edge of my chair rapidly flicking through pages to see what happened (ex. Rose Princess...).

I'd still give it a slightly higher grade... I mean, you should not judge the book by relating it to others from the cycle. As a whole, it might be repetitive, but if someone picks just this one, they might not really care about the other ones.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1