• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation's S.A.V.E. edtions?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:15 am Reply with quote
While going through anime on rightstuf, I noticed that FUNi's re-releasing Pani Poni Dash! (and other titles) with this subheading.

Do these re-releases mean they're putting more features on the disk (Like everything, they stripped from Pani Poni) or is it just a funny name with no really special significance?

EDIT: Looking around, this probably should have went in that one floated thread.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:36 am Reply with quote
SAVE edition collections are older titles that one can collect for a much cheaper price than the regular run of Funi's titles normally being at $20-$30 for a TV series. However, the special features on SAVE edition sets in most instances are minimum as you don't get as much packed onto discs compared to the original singles DVD releases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Also, I really hate the SAVE tradedressing on the DVD cover spines. They're kinda gaudy.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Also, I really hate the SAVE tradedressing on the DVD cover spines. They're kinda gaudy.

"Gaudy"? That's just putting it nicely if you ask me, they're beyond gaudy, they're totally fugly and they will mess up the feng shui of absolutely any collection guaranteed. I'm not sure what possessed Funi to do that, I have no problem with the stickers since they come off, but the green spines? Yuck, why?! Anyone know if Funi had the sense of mind to put a reversible cover on their S.A.V.E.s? Which would allow me to forgive them?
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

"Gaudy"? That's just putting it nicely if you ask me, they're beyond gaudy, they're totally fugly and they will mess up the feng shui of absolutely any collection guaranteed. I'm not sure what possessed Funi to do that, I have no problem with the stickers since they come off, but the green spines? Yuck, why?! Anyone know if Funi had the sense of mind to put a reversible cover on their S.A.V.E.s? Which would allow me to forgive them?

Hrm... space is at a premium where i'm at, so I tend to throw away packaging unless it's a set with an art box that has sentimental value. otherwise it goes in the binder. no reversible help here, i'm afraid.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

For the record I don't mean any disrespect by saying this, but you must be ridiculously thin-skinned to have a green label on the spine of a few DVD cases get you that riled up. I understand if they're don't make the DVD case any more beautiful, but really dude?

There is something though about these S.A.V.E edition sets that I wondering and so far I haven't seen any confirmed answers of this on the internet. Are the S.A.V.E edition sets meant to be a way of saying Funimation doesn't find the show profittable anymore and are tring to get the remaining copies out of their inventory or something? Note, I'm not that knowledgable with DVD maunfacturing, so forgive me if I'm not using the right terms.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:

For the record I don't mean any disrespect by saying this, but you must be ridiculously thin-skinned to have a green label on the spine of a few DVD cases get you that riled up. I understand if they're don't make the DVD case any more beautiful, but really dude?

For me its not the Green. Its just the S.A.V.E and the S.A.V.E logo plastered all around the show's name (which is in generic block letters, not series logo) that bugs the crap out of me. Is it petty? A little. But its the main reason I haven't rebought 009-1 or bought BECK. Cause Fugly is right.

Quote:

There is something though about these S.A.V.E edition sets that I wondering and so far I haven't seen any confirmed answers of this on the internet. Are the S.A.V.E edition sets meant to be a way of saying Funimation doesn't find the show profittable anymore and are tring to get the remaining copies out of their inventory or something? Note, I'm not that knowledgable with DVD maunfacturing, so forgive me if I'm not using the right terms.

I think they just want to get the most out of their lieceneses. They've sold the series for full price, and even rereleased a few boxsets at full price. Now their on the third release, and using new tradedressing and low prices and a encompassing line for marketing. Its a bit ingenious.
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Can they even get lower than S.A.V.E's at this point?

"Introducing the 'Absolute FUN' collections! Your favorite FUNimation releases for only $19.99! So what if we're on Air's and Aquarion's fourth re-release? We're pushing this s*** out dammit."

(To be fair, I did just buy the complete Kanon save for a cool 18 bucks)
Rime of the Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:

Speaking personally, I find the Viridian Collection / Signature Series/ Anime Legends labels more than I can stand (much less the S.A.V.E. one)...

Quote:

Speculation on my part, but given that the S.A.V.E. edition of the first season of Hell Girl is 4 Discs and the initial release was 6 Discs, this isn't about repackaging returns.

It's about getting a full 26 Episode series for as little as about a buck (at MSRP) or less (on Amazon, etc.)--per episode.
A Fan who just wants a show simply and cheaply can do so at that kind of price point.

Last edited by Rime of the Ancient Otaku on Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

Hate to tell you but it's $13 at Amazon, they've had a +50% off SAVE sale on some titles for quite a while now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
@ Mr Adventure & Rime of the Ancient Otaku:

The reason I asked is because from what I observed, shows that either don't sell well at all or shows that have been around for a while and seemed to gained all the money it could at one point end up as part of the S.A.V.E edtion. For example Big Windup was released last year and half a year later this past January, we find out the DVDs didn't sell well. Now since the end of August the complete first season is being released as a S.A.V.E edition. And certain shows that I think were released by ADV at one point or shows that Funimation had for a while now and had sold as many DVDs as they could've at the time such as Kanon, Air, and Pumpkin Scissors, or Moonphase end up on the S.A.V.E edition.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
It's also important to note that, in some cases where they could re-use the original or Viridian releases, the SAVE part is a sticker. It'd be worth researching the specific title, or to buy from somewhere you can check to see if you're getting a repackage or reprint version.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
As Mr Adventure said, it's also the S.A.V.E. logo itself all over it, not to mention that it's bigger than the title of the show itself. I mean at least with the Viridian logo it doesn't appear to take up the entire spine.
And I don't find it an appealing shade of green either, it is not something I think would ever look good on my shelf. But yeah, I might've been overreacting, but I still find them ugly.

But yeah, I question how much lower they can put the limbo bar at this point, they'd have to start giving them away as a mystery item with like, brand new half sets of new series coming out or something for them to get any cheaper (of course you're still buying something else at that point). But they'd damn near have to give them away for free or sell them at the Dollar Store or something, but hey, I didn't think they'd get any lower than the Viridian sets for cheap. I'm starting to wish I wasn't so stingy with my money and that I'd just go out and buy a damn S.A.V.E. set, $30 would have excited my little fangirl heart so much when I first started collecting but now I'm going "it's cheaper online, I bet I can find an even better deal somewhere!" and it's starting to annoy me.
EricDent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
I personally have picked up the BECK "SAVE" edition, and have some good news. The cover art IS reversible, so you don't have to look at the logo/green color.

Better yet it is pretty good cover art featuring the main characters.

I also got the Solty Rei one, but that is just the Viridian Collection thin-pack box (with a SAVE sticker outside the packaging).

I would think that the other "SAVE" single-disc case editions do have reversible cover art. As for the larger ones, not really sure.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:04 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
garfield15 wrote:

Hate to tell you but it's $13 at Amazon, they've had a +50% off SAVE sale on some titles for quite a while now.

That kinda pissed me off. I bought the Gankutsuou SAVE for $20 after shipping, I got a few days later in the mail and noticed it was on sale for $13 Crying or Very sad This is a bit random, but has anyone have one of the thin dvd boxes that came in the SAVE sets where the insert tends to slowly shift out of the dvd sleeve when propped upright on a shelf?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4