• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Relate-able anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poilk92

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Well it turns out my new job has me even less busy most of the day...

SO... new thread! YAY!

I was watching bakemongotari and episode 12, the one where spoiler[hitagi and araragi have their first date], is so eerily similar to my first real date from way back in the day. That when I saw it I was able to relate to the main character much more and thus enjoyed the series as a whole much much more! First time I felt like I could relate to a character or a situation in an anime

So heres the question has there been an anime a character or a situation that has poped up in an anime that you really felt like you could relate to?
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:

So heres the question has there been an anime a character or a situation that has poped up in an anime that you really felt like you could relate to?

Makoto Shinkai's themes of inevitable loss and slowly broken relationships remind me of my being in my teens and 20s.

and then there's Satoshi Kon ... between the philosophy classes and the LSD trips there's a lot of relatable material, ha! Wink

in the beginning of Serial Experiments: Lain, when she's a total techtard, that reminded me of myself too, at the time ... though i would look insanely ridiculous in the pajamas.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Part of me wants to say I can relate to the son who beats and terrorizes his parents in that Human Crossing ep., but to be more serious...
There are various characters I relate to, some very strongly, but more interesting to me is the way I relate to the suburban Tokyo settings of a number of anime, such as Maison Ikkoku, Catnapped and Whisper of the Heart, because of the similarity of the hilly, high-density feeling of the scenes to where I grew up in Sydney (Kirribilli, by the harbour). The sunrise scene in Whisper of the Heart touches me specially because I can so relate to the vision of beauty in the hugeness of the city.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
School Days is basically my life in high school. Except the ending. Clearly I'm still alive, if you can call it that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I actually have quite a few that I find personally relate-able. Thats really one of the reasons why I like anime and manga so much, because there are so many anime that I actually feel like is relate-able in one way or another.

First one I'd have to bring up is basically any male lead from Makoto Shinkai's movies. His characters always seem to embody the idea of the young idealistic lovers. And I think it's this sense of hopeless idealism due to their youth that is so universal, everyone has experienced that before. For the young viewers it can give a voice to this idea of romance they have developed. And for the older audience it can give them the proxy by which they can recapture this same feeling.

Another one is the typical introspective, depressed, confused, sexually repressed, and angered teenager that you can see in allot of anime. Characters like Shinji from Evangelion, Naota from FLCL, Simon from Gurren Lagann, and Lain from SE Lain. All of these characters portray the typical teenager in a very relate-able way. Sure they might be piloting robots, having crazy things come out of their heads, or... whatever you'd describe Lain as doing. But in the end they are still dealing with emotional and psychological problems that we can relate to. And those crazy things that could only happen in anime are usually symbolic for these real life problems that we face.

Another situation that is easy to relate too is the times when events in life some times seem to be to far out of our control. Anime is filled with situations like this like Akira, Full Metal Alchemist, Gankutsuou, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Sky Crawlers, Millennium Actress, Gundam 0080, ext. In these anime events transpire, despite the greatest efforts of the protagonists, as if predetermined by fate. I think this is something we can all relate to. When those times in your life when everything seems to be coming undone and out of your control.

Also the works of Miyazaki speaks to allot of people I think. Even though they are usually dealing with magical adventures far beyond our wildest imaginations they skill have a central theme that can relate to all of us. For example: In Spirited Way Chihiro is moving to a new city when she goes into the other world. I think the conflicts in the movie are most likely symbolic of dealing with the issues that come with moving. Issues like the fear of feeling out of place, the fear that you will forget your friends that you left behind, having to meat new people, ext.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:06 pm Reply with quote
If anime reminds me of my life that would kind of defeat the whole point of me watching it to begin with. I just want to go somewhere else for escapism so I can relax for a while.

Call me if they ever make an anime about a single college student who works part time at a grocery store as a department manger to pay his way through some med courses so he doesn't have to work at some crappy low pay job and can afford his own place, though. Laughing
poilk92

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
@Mushi-Man

I must be an odd person cause I cannot relate to any of that

especially the stuff you listed as universal. Haha I must not be the typical anime viewer (in terms of personality and experience not demographic)

@Kruszer

relate-able doesn't mean it necessarily reflects every aspect of your life. Its more like you see a scene or a character that makes you think, wow I totally understand what they are feeling right now
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
@Kruszer

relate-able doesn't mean it necessarily reflects every aspect of your life. Its more like you see a scene or a character that makes you think, wow I totally understand what they are feeling right now

Yeah, but I'm really good at logical reasoning and have taken some psychology courses so I'd have to list like most of the anime I ever seen and provide examples and....such misfortune.... Shocked

I think the shorter list would be things I can't for life of me reason out for myself or character action that confound me.

Last edited by Kruszer on Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Tatami Galaxy. Damn, I used to really be like him until I decided to change a few things and stop seeing life through my black colored glasses and try on some new rose ones. Life is more interesting when you take those risks, try some new things and stop some old bad habits.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Call me if they ever make an anime about a single college student who works part time at a grocery store as a department manger to pay his way through some med courses so he doesn't have to work at some crappy low pay job and can afford his own place, though. Laughing
I don't know. I think you've got the makings of a fine seinen romcom there, with the right additions. Very Happy
poilk92

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
[
Yeah, but I'm really good at logical reasoning and have taken some psychology courses so I'd have to list like most of the anime I ever seen and provide examples and....such misfortune.... Shocked

I think the shorter list would be things I can't for life of me reason out for myself or character action that confound me.

I know how much fun it is to pretend like you don't understand that your completely missing the point but uuuuuugh. You can academically understand why or how someone is feeling but that is different than relating to the feeling in a meaningful way. And though to have that feeling it will have to reflect your life in some way but not be a perfect reflection. Like I don't need to see an anime about a young man who got kicked out of school for dealing drugs our of his dorm room then used the 30 grand he made doing that for a year to buy a loft then get a job as a safety inspector at a southern California oil refinery and is now rolling in dough to relate to it (now you have to wonder how much of that story is BS and how much is true).
Gentry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I once kissed a girl on the back of the knee in a tiny little shed which is similar to that of Amagami SS.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
@Mushi-Man

I must be an odd person cause I cannot relate to any of that

especially the stuff you listed as universal. Haha I must not be the typical anime viewer (in terms of personality and experience not demographic)

Haha I wouldn't worry to much about that, I have a bad tendency to generalize allot of things. I really meant that it's something I could relate too and I felt like it had a some what universal appeal to it. But sadly I don't have the ability to read peoples minds... at least not through the internet...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Well there was that time I found a moeblob in my fridge, actually on second thoughts it was just mold.

Well for an easy one I will mention Konata from Lucky Star, her study habits are very simular to mine, and I have no fricken idea of how I pass, could be something studying at the last minute. As of last couple of years I also spend all night gaming, luckily I have not had to have the confrontation that I am actually about to sleep as I have a different example of family.

Although not to extremes in the show, some of the stuff involving the guilt complex girl in Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei were very relate-able. such as worrying people could not see from behind me in class or the movie theaters, so I slouch to an uncomfertable level, and worry that I have disturbed people when I have done things with the goal of not bothering them. I can't even knock on someone's door, let people in front of me in lines, and used to not flush the toilet (from number 1s) at night because I don't want to bother people with the noise.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:04 am Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
I don't know. I think you've got the makings of a fine seinen romcom there, with the right additions. Very Happy

I'd be cool with that. Well as long as we can exclude any yandere ladies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3