• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Request For A New Forums Feature

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
I respectfully propose that a feature be added to the forums wherein registered users would have the option of registering their "approval" or "disapproval" of a posting. Slate.com's feature identifies who has used the feature, and I believe that such disclosure should also be a part of the feature.

If there are any concerns or reservations, then I suggest that a trial system be set up in a forum that sees little use and that such a trial be for, say, 6-8 weeks; while the forum is going on, users can comment on it here at "ANN Feedback".
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:23 am Reply with quote
What do we need such a popularity poll for? If a post is really offensive or something, you can use the report button to request a moderator look at it. Other than that I see no need to add a complicated system to the forum.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:24 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
What do we need such a popularity poll for? If a post is really offensive or something, you can use the report button to request a moderator look at it. Other than that I see no need to add a complicated system to the forum.

I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear; I am not saying that I believe that there is a need for a popularity poll per se. My reason for making the proposal was that I was perusing a forum when I came across a comment that I strongly agreed with: Now, at either Washingtonpost.com or Slate.com, I would have been able to register "Approval" or "disapproval". While I am not advocating that ANN attempt to recreate any of Facebook's environments, I do believe that this proposal would (or, at least, could) create another means of interaction between anime fans on the ANN website. I see this as -- potentially -- creating another (albeit, very minor) reason for coming to the website: To see who -- if anyone -- has "approved/disapproved" any of their postings.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
If you strongly agree with someone, then say so. If you strongly disagree with someone, then say so. If you think someone has overstepped the line, then say so in a post report. And if you believe someone is a saint, then by all means, say so.

A ratings or karma or whatever system is not needed and too open to abuse. It is just an exercise in stroking egos and maliciously cutting others down. People should be judging posts based on what is written in them, not on the number that other users (who may or may not be biased) have given it.

Finally, just think for a moment of the type of user who would participate the most in such a system.

. . . . . .

. . . . . .

Exactly.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
If I ever added something like that (and I have many many more pressing things), it would be for peer-moderation purposes and it would be anonymous. A non-anonymous system would be a political circus inviting ego trips and cliques.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, something like this would turn me off of the forums, and I doubt I'd ever stray out of the encyclopedia forum if something like this was introduced.

Yes, it has its merits ("rewarding" good posts with recognition), but, in the end, this is the internet, and the internet has the mentality of a middle school class when it comes to voting and such. Whether or not it's meant as one, it becomes a popularity contest. And, the same as post counts do, people with higher "kudos" will be treated as "better" people. And that's because their friends will just spam up all of their posts with "kudos", regardless of worth of the post.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
If I ever added something like that (and I have many many more pressing things), it would be for peer-moderation purposes and it would be anonymous. A non-anonymous system would be a political circus inviting ego trips and cliques.

My thoughts exactly. It would work fine at first, but the second that system is used improperly, it would not be pretty at all.

Although that is a good idea in concept, these types of systems tend to be used in the wrong fashion all too often.

Honestly, I rather be able to buy a custom rank or something more semi- practical than have this occur.

I am not saying it's a bad idea, but it would a heck of a lot of work and like Dan stated would probably stir up ego trips and cliques. And almost always in a situation like that does someone walk away either mad or rather perplexed.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Honestly, something like this would turn me off of the forums, and I doubt I'd ever stray out of the encyclopedia forum if something like this was introduced.

Yes, it has its merits ("rewarding" good posts with recognition), but, in the end, this is the internet, and the internet has the mentality of a middle school class when it comes to voting and such. Whether or not it's meant as one, it becomes a popularity contest. And, the same as post counts do, people with higher "kudos" will be treated as "better" people. And that's because their friends will just spam up all of their posts with "kudos", regardless of worth of the post.

This is exactly how i feel about it. I usually don't post on sites that use this feature.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:05 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Dessa wrote:

This is exactly how i feel about it. I usually don't post on sites that use this feature.

In some respect, my thoughts as well. A system like this could easily be a never ending ego trip for a person or persons that will rate a person poorly for absolutely no reason.

Example, person X makes a insightful and intelligent post, but person B decides to give him the thumbs down because he just doesn't like him/her or for no reason other than he can. Then person A comes around and want's to jump in the bandwagon and give person X a bad score, even if he never read the post.

I enjoy posting in the forums, even though sometimes I do scratch my head with some of the content that is written. When I write something (usually, not always admiringly) it's my actual thought and opinion. Straight up, I am not going to just become another "yes man" just because others may be doing it or because it might be easier.

Yeah, I really don't want to hurt anyone feelings in the process, but I don't really want to feel I have to entirely censor my opinions. But I also don't want to be a "no man" either and not state my mind just because it's easier to confirm to the ideas of others or is more popular to do so in some cases.

Obviously, there does come a time when one shouldn't reveal certain information, but given the fact that this is a anime news site, I don't think that happens to often.

If I were to be any type of man, I want to be a wing man. Because you can't go wrong with chicken wings. All jokes aside, I like ANN because more people are willing to divulge their opinions and thoughts. If a system like what the original poster suggested does come into play, I do think less people are less likely to express their opinions as openly because they might worry that others will give them a thumbs down for thinking differently than others.

As of now, Anime News Network is fine as it is. Its one of the very, very few news site forums that very simple, but very enjoyable with a mostly peaceful atmosphere.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:04 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the pivotal flaw with these systems is that they are basically an honor system. You're giving people the ability to rate their peers and simply trusting that their judgement will be honest and unbiased. You need only go to a site like Amazon where people can post whether they though a review was helpful to see the likeliest results. In most cases it's clear that people simply vote down reviews they don't agree with, no matter how well worded and thoughtful they are, while another review that is meaningless aside from blatant enthusiasm towards the widely held stance gets loads of "helpful" ratings.

I know some sites only let you give positive ratings or no ratings, and this is a bit better but it's still unnecessary. Of the sites or forums I go to with these types of features I honestly have to say I don't use any of them. I've never really understood the purpose behind the feature aside from boosting ones ego or attacking someone elses. If people want to face off then they can do it through dialog as the forum is intended.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:38 am Reply with quote
I rather obviously did not realize the attendant complicating factors to my proposal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1